PDA

View Full Version : Do It Yourself M1, M1a, M1 Carbine

Mike Kelly
06-06-2006, 11:17 PM
I built my own AR15. Had a good time doing it.

Now my thoughts are turning to building a Garand. Maybe an M1a.

Has anyone done this before? What would you do differently?

Kimber45
06-07-2006, 05:18 AM
The only issue with building an M1 is installing the barrel and headspacing it. Indexing the barrel involves getting the feed ramp at six o'clock. This is important not only for feeding but for proper positioning of the front sight. If you use a new barrel it will most likely need to be finish reamed in order to headspace the bolt.

After that it is easy and requires nothing more than the reassembly after a detail strip.

That said, because of the scarcity of parts, even post war parts, you'll spend far more than the cost of a decent M1 Garand. There are no "parts kits" for the Garand. Used USGI parts run:- A bolt will go for $75 to $150, and op rod $75 to $300, a trigger group $100 to $175, a complete commercial stock set $80 to $120, a set of stock metal $65+, gas cylinder $50 to $150, rear sight $100 to $150 - and there is a lot more. Don't forget to add in the cost of a barrel vise and wrench, headspace guages, chamber reamers etc.

You can get Field Grades at teh North Store for $395 and there are pleanty of rifles in excellent condition there.

Mike Kelly
06-07-2006, 06:29 AM
The only issue with building an M1 is installing the barrel and headspacing it. Indexing the barrel involves getting the feed ramp at six o'clock. This is important not only for feeding but for proper positioning of the front sight. If you use a new barrel it will most likely need to be finish reamed in order to headspace the bolt.

After that it is easy and requires nothing more than the reassembly after a detail strip.

That said, because of the scarcity of parts, even post war parts, you'll spend far more than the cost of a decent M1 Garand. There are no "parts kits" for the Garand. Used USGI parts run:- A bolt will go for $75 to $150, and op rod $75 to $300, a trigger group $100 to $175, a complete commercial stock set $80 to $120, a set of stock metal $65+, gas cylinder $50 to $150, rear sight $100 to $150 - and there is a lot more. Don't forget to add in the cost of a barrel vise and wrench, headspace guages, chamber reamers etc.

You can get Field Grades at teh North Store for $395 and there are pleanty of rifles in excellent condition there.

Thanks. I think you've save me a serious amount of time and trouble.
I was going to get a barrelled reciever and start buying parts. But the way you break it down, I think you are right. The best way to go would be to get the rifle at the north store. And buy some spare parts in case of emergencies.

Kimber45
06-07-2006, 06:40 AM
Adding a bit to what I said. If you get a rifle through the CMP they stand behind it. I've had worn or broken parts replaced by them at no cost. The same can't be said for parts you buy from other sources. If you buy a bolt on ebay or at a gun show there is no guarentee that it will headspace in your rifle.

www.odcmp.com for more information.

BOSS302
06-07-2006, 08:20 AM
I put together a M14 (Armscorp M14NM receiver). I could never save up enough for a M1A but I could buy parts slowly over time. I collected USGI parts over a couple of years. I had the receiver barreled and head spaced with the bolt by a real gunsmith. The receiver also required some modifications. The rest of the assembly I did by myself. It wasn't difficult, but requires a few tools. I wouldn't do it again simply because of the cost. USGI parts have skyrocketed in price. You may be able to do it using cheaper repo parts and come out ahead. You're probably better off buying a Springfield M1A. There have been complaints about their quality recently but they have a lifetime guarantee.

Kirk

Mike Kelly
06-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Adding a bit to what I said. If you get a rifle through the CMP they stand behind it. I've had worn or broken parts replaced by them at no cost. The same can't be said for parts you buy from other sources. If you buy a bolt on ebay or at a gun show there is no guarentee that it will headspace in your rifle.

www.odcmp.com for more information.

Hmm.

Field grades are worth the money?

Kimber45
06-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Hmm.

Field grades are worth the money?

The way riflesa are graded now, at least at the North Store, are Correct Grades at $900; Field Grades for $425 and Rack Grades for $395 for Greeks or $350 for Danish. I forgot about the recent price increase. You can get Service Grades from Anniston for a 60-90 day wait. The only difference between a Service Grade and a Filed Grade is the amount of throat erroision. It can be up to a 5 in a Field Grade. But, if you go to the North Store you can and will find some really nice rifles in the Field Grades. I was there with taurus92 recently and he picked up a Field Grade with a throat and muzzle that gauged under 2. I picked one up that was 2.8 at the muzzle and just over 3 at the throat. Taurus' shoots about 1.5 moa. The butstock on mine was trash but I had another and I got the handguards and that butstock to match. Another Field Grade I have measures under 3 at the muzzle and 4 at the throat. It is a great shooter and may become my main competition Garand.

So, yeah, I think they are worth the money even at $425, if you can hand pick them.

taurus92
06-07-2006, 02:42 PM
Went out with my M1 yesterday and put down my shootting mat and started popping 10's and x' s with it. This was with Greek ammo at 100 yards on a b-6 50 yard slow fire pistol target.

Not bad shooting gun for the money. Plus I was just in shorts and a t-shirt. Should do better with the shooting jacket on.

now to work up the reloads :)

appliancebrad
06-07-2006, 06:03 PM
John, what about buying a receiver from the CMP? it appears the have boxes of them.

I'm itching to get another Garand. I know they are going to start getting scarce soon.

Saw a nice Carbine the other day for $650. It appeared to me in excellent condition.

Maranatha
06-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Sounds like its time for a north Store run.....

Mike I bought a Field Grade as a parts gun just because I wanted the Bolt and Op rod on the rifle.

but, Once I got it home and swapped out the parts and took the filed grade to the range it turned out to be my best shooter of the 3 M-1s I have.

You never know what you can get, but its fun looking at the north store.

Mike Kelly
06-08-2006, 04:05 AM
Sounds like I need to invest in a throat gauge before I go down there.

I've got the DD214, an NRA instructor cert, membership in at least one affiliated group...

All I need is the cash eh?

Time to clear out the basement and hold an online garage sale or something.

Kimber45
06-08-2006, 06:32 AM
John, what about buying a receiver from the CMP? it appears the have boxes of them.

I'm itching to get another Garand. I know they are going to start getting scarce soon.

Saw a nice Carbine the other day for $650. It appeared to me in excellent condition.

According to Oerst they have enough Garands to last a couple of years. Problem is everytime he says this people start buying. SA receivers are $150-200, Winchesters are $275. I think a better buy is a woodles Dane for $295, at least then you get parts. Most likely the barrel will be toast and the finish will be gone but sometimes you can get a real find parts wise. Of course, you can end up like I did. I bought one recently because of the bolt and op rod. I put some parts on it from my stash with the intention of sending it off to DGR for a new barrel and park job. Then I noticed that the barrel is original to the rifle and it's a 9/43 - so I'm keeping it as is.

Kimber45
06-08-2006, 06:35 AM
Sounds like I need to invest in a throat gauge before I go down there.

I've got the DD214, an NRA instructor cert, membership in at least one affiliated group...

All I need is the cash eh?

Time to clear out the basement and hold an online garage sale or something.

Mike, they have throat and muzzle gauges at the store. If your DD214 list your citizenship you're good to go with that. They will notarize your certification form there but it is a bit faster if you can get it done in advance. All the forms you need are available online. I fill mine out before going (except for what I'm buying, of course).

Mike Kelly
06-08-2006, 07:21 AM
Mike, they have throat and muzzle gauges at the store. If your DD214 list your citizenship you're good to go with that. They will notarize your certification form there but it is a bit faster if you can get it done in advance. All the forms you need are available online. I fill mine out before going (except for what I'm buying, of course).

Sweet.

Time for a garage sale.

taurus92
06-08-2006, 08:50 AM
Sweet.

Time for a garage sale.

Just hang out at the store for a bit when you are there. I went through the racks a few times and did not find anything I wanted. Just as I was hanging it up 2 rifles were brought out and that is when I found the 1.5 MOA one. Bet I can tighten that group up a bit with the sling and jacket on. That was just sitting at the bench resting it across my arm.

Batman
06-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Other cool guns to build are the FN-FAL and a AK. FN's are not that hard at all but the price and availability of receivers is getting to be an issue. Building an AK will incur lower costs but they are much more challanging(especially if you do a rivet build and you don't have a press!).:multi: