PDA

View Full Version : Using a farm vehicle as cover when shooting coyotes ??

westcliffe01
10-07-2011, 09:03 PM
OK, at the risk of sounding like an idiot for the second time, here goes:

I'm trying to thin out the coyote population on a sheep farm where the owner is losing 20% of his herd annually to predation. The problem is that this place has so much cover to protect coyotes when they move, that they are very difficult to spot. The area where the animals graze and many attacks take place is very open vegetation wise, but is hilly with a deep draw down the middle, so one has to stay on high ground to cover the area. But all the high ground has no cover whatsoever.

A regular blind is going to stick out like a sore thumb. But I'm thinking that farm equipment, like the tractor and hay trailer is left at different places and the coyotes may be familiar with it and not spook.

So here is the question: If one was prone, on the ground, underneath a hay trailer or tractor, would one pass the "test" regarding loaded firearms "on or upon" a vehicle ?

Thanks for the opinions. I think I will build a couple of permanent blinds and leave them on the property for the long term, but doubt I would be able to use them until the animals had adjusted to their presence.

hendo
10-08-2011, 03:12 PM
OK, at the risk of sounding like an idiot for the second time, here goes:

I'm trying to thin out the coyote population on a sheep farm where the owner is losing 20% of his herd annually to predation. The problem is that this place has so much cover to protect coyotes when they move, that they are very difficult to spot. The area where the animals graze and many attacks take place is very open vegetation wise, but is hilly with a deep draw down the middle, so one has to stay on high ground to cover the area. But all the high ground has no cover whatsoever.

A regular blind is going to stick out like a sore thumb. But I'm thinking that farm equipment, like the tractor and hay trailer is left at different places and the coyotes may be familiar with it and not spook.

So here is the question: If one was prone, on the ground, underneath a hay trailer or tractor, would one pass the "test" regarding loaded firearms "on or upon" a vehicle ?

Thanks for the opinions. I think I will build a couple of permanent blinds and leave them on the property for the long term, but doubt I would be able to use them until the animals had adjusted to their presence.

I'm not a lawyer and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn express last night, but, I think the key is "prone under" which means you are not In or Upon thereby making a blind of sorts. JMO