PDA

View Full Version : Applying for a permit to night hunt predators with centerfire rifle ?

westcliffe01
10-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Has anyone been through the process to get permission from DNR to hunt predators at night (on a designated farm) with a centerfire rifle ? As I understand it, it is their(state) rules. Many states do not have the rimfire restriction but Michigan does. Most people taking coyotes use the 22-250, 223 or 222 if not 243 and up.

The way I would see it, shooting them at 75yds+ with a 22mag or 17HMR is going to result in most of them running off in the dark to die somewhere or suffer.

I am guessing that this is another nanny state law (that the population is too stupid and irresponsible to be trusted with centerfire rifles at night), so I would be curious whether any exceptions have been made in specific circumstances.

forrest0872
10-10-2011, 07:26 PM
IM me about predator hunting this season, I am your neighbor just to your north.

forrest -

langenc
10-15-2011, 08:55 PM
Has anyone been through the process to get permission from DNR to hunt predators at night (on a designated farm) with a centerfire rifle ? As I understand it, it is their(state) rules. Many states do not have the rimfire restriction but Michigan does. Most people taking coyotes use the 22-250, 223 or 222 if not 243 and up.

The way I would see it, shooting them at 75yds+ with a 22mag or 17HMR is going to result in most of them running off in the dark to die somewhere or suffer.

I am guessing that this is another nanny state law (that the population is too stupid and irresponsible to be trusted with centerfire rifles at night), so I would be curious whether any exceptions have been made in specific circumstances.

Where do these ideas come from?? Have you ever been predator hunting? day?? Night??

If one cant kill the critter, stay home and watch hockey/baseball/movies.

westcliffe01
10-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Lots of stories on here:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f30/

I have bought several videos on the subject and have seen the dogs run off after being knocked over with 223, 22-250 and 204 Ruger impacts. (not always of course, but it happens and that is during daytime when you can see a lot better what you are shooting at).

Yes, I have been predator hunting, but not at night since I don't own a suitable rimfire weapon and have serious doubts about the viability of hunting them that way.

So instead of being so pious, how about a useful contribution regarding what you have done and how it has worked for you ?

I'm not an expert, else I wouldn't be asking for advice on a public forum. But the fact is that the rimfire restriction is upheld by only certain states and no-one who seriously pursues coyotes has mentioned a rimfire weapon as his gun of choice.

GarrettJ
10-17-2011, 07:59 AM
...and no-one who seriously pursues coyotes has mentioned a rimfire weapon as his gun of choice.
.22 LR works very well for me. But then, I get 4 or 5 shots per trigger pull. :uzi:

Sorry - picture was taken in a different state. No useful info here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/GarrettJ/Uzi-coyote.jpg

fr3db3ar
10-17-2011, 03:45 PM
While I'd love to use my .223 at night I believe rimfire and shotgun are sufficient for the job.

Most shots I've seen at night are under 50 yards. Most way closer than that.

westcliffe01
10-17-2011, 05:13 PM
So buckshot is out and slugs. I have a 20ga and may give some thought to #2 hevi shot. I just have hard time imagining that one would get past their nose at 20-30 yds.
http://www.michigan.gov/images/dnr/Nighttime_Raccoon_and_Predator_Hunting_table_36144 3_7.jpg

From a well known site on predator hunting: http://www.wcp-nm.com/coyotes/weaponry.htm

Quote:
It was my choice, over twenty years ago, to go with the .223 Remington. At the time, I was merely comparing the costs of reloading ammunition. For less than 100 foot-pounds of knockdown power sacrificed, and losing less than 1,000 fps of projectile speed, I could shoot for about $0.06 per round. The .22-250 and .25-06 would cost over a quarter a round. Now these were 1977 prices of course, but the ratio is fairly relative today.

My .223's will blow too large an exit wound in the animal unless I get a head-on chest shot on a coyote. Every now and then I'll bad shoot one and hit a shoulder bone that merely makes that portion of a coyotes running gear unusable to him as he runs away. Instead of killing him right off. But it's my shooting, not the caliber of the gun that causes the coyote to not fall dead instantly.

My partner, Dave, has had more coyotes require some short distance tracking than I care to think about. After they've been mortally wounded with a perfect lung/heart shot from his .243. There's been a couple of dogs get away all together when Dave has used FMJs in his .243. Which of course I kid him about missing them, something terrible. And recently, my Savage fouled on me early one morning. So I borrowed a co-hunters spare rifle, a stock SKS, to continue hunting with. Two dogs taken that day both had to be tracked for considerable distances after being hit in the vitals with the 7.62mm, full-metal jacketed rounds from the SKS. At close range even. Maybe I've been lucky, but using either 55gr. soft point or 52gr. BTHP bullets for the .223's, I've never had to track a coyote from either a shot to the chest cavity or neck. But I'll repeat what I said earlier. I always end up with a very messy exit wound. Of which sewing the hide to disguise the hole would be nearly impossible.

I know someone out there will disagree, but feel free to comment.

langenc
10-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Maybe the FMJs are not good choices.

My only coyote-deer hunting was shot at 65 yds, 243 with a 95 or 100 gr Remington Corelokt. No exit?? No tracking-dead right there same as the deer, 3 min before.

Permits for night hunting not necessary in MI-only hunting/fur harvester license..small game license, I believe is ok. Check rule book available at license outlets or on line. Get a paper copy and take it with you.

Only permit is written permission from landowner, unless state and some other lands.

westcliffe01
10-18-2011, 10:49 PM
I'm well aware that no permit is needed for night hunting, but thats only if you can get them in to point blank range and hit them with some form of bird shot (since buck and slugs are prohibited) or 22 magnum, or apply for a nuisance animal control permit which allows things not allowed under "sporting" rules.

So far I am not having any luck with the "point blank" concept.

HOSS48604
10-19-2011, 11:23 AM
In case no one has ever schooled you on ammo, FMJ ammo was designed to WOUND not KILL! Any brainless wonder that would even attempt to use such ammo for hunting has no place in our outdoors. In fact in many states it is actually illegal to hunt with FMJ. Respect your prey and accept nothing less than the quickest cleanest kill possible.

westcliffe01
10-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Just so that we get this straight, the quote in blue is from Bill Porters website http://www.wcp-nm.com/coyotes/

He made reference to borrowing the SKS when his rifle was fouled. Not my words or claim.

I personally shoot 55gr Vmax bullets and I have soft point bullets as a "backup", have not yet needed them, but I have to see how the Vmax works on a full winter coat.

The FMJ's I have are only for practice at the range, and a good source of brass (made by PMC).

chevytaHOE5674
10-19-2011, 12:30 PM
I shoot Yotes quite often with my .22 mag at night at 50-70+ yards and with a good shot they don't run far if at all. Using federal game-shok 50gr JHP's.