PDA

View Full Version : Moisture in Safe

Stud722
10-12-2011, 05:02 PM
I have a rather large gun safe, a 48 gun Heritage safe. It was too big to get into the house so it sits in the garage (I know, not the ideal location). I am having trouble keeping the moisture to a minimum. I have an 18" drying rod in there already. I am noticing some slight rusting on some of my firearms. I have had the safe for amost 10 years now. What is the best product out there to control moisture and humidity? I have heard good and bad things about the packs that you put in the oven and dry out. I am open to suggestions. thanks

steve581581
10-12-2011, 05:35 PM
im not sure what they are called or the best way to describe them but boating stores should have them... a friend of mine buys these plastic containers that he just opens up and puts in his boat to pull the moisture out and prevent mold... they are about the size of a "cool whip" container

CalebL1911
10-12-2011, 06:02 PM
im not sure what they are called or the best way to describe them but boating stores should have them... a friend of mine buys these plastic containers that he just opens up and puts in his boat to pull the moisture out and prevent mold... they are about the size of a "cool whip" container

something like this? Silica Gel dehumidifier

http://www.theruststore.com/450-Gram-Rechargeable-Silica-Gel-Dehumidifier-P58C6.aspx?UserID=13003085&SessionID=7mjVz{mTzaSLtYooDdg4

Troubleshooter
10-12-2011, 06:10 PM
I use Damp rid in mine. I keep my safe in my finished basement so I do not have a large temperature swing like a garage does.

http://www.damprid.com/

LakeBound
10-12-2011, 06:55 PM
I use Damp rid in mine. I keep my safe in my finished basement so I do not have a large temperature swing like a garage does.

http://www.damprid.com/

Another vote here for Damp Rid. It's available at Lowe's and most other stores and for around $4.00 a pouch, it will last you awhile.

I check mine monthly. normally I have to replace the container with fresh product every 2.5 months depending upon the weather. And, I have used maybe two-three bags in two years tops. For $12 in two years, that isn't that bad.

Beats rusty guns and mildew on those beautiful wooden stocks. How much money will deep rusted pitting cost you on your favorite firearms?

LB

rickmasters
10-16-2011, 08:55 AM
You might need a larger dehumidifier rod for that large of a safe. I have a 24" in mine and have never had a problem. I did just replace it thought after about 15 years. Check to make sure it is still hot.

Toledo Kid
10-16-2011, 09:01 AM
Prep the firearms correctly before placing them in a storage area and you will never have any problem what so ever. Silicone socks and displacement oils/grease are your best friend for long or short term in any environment.

JohnJak
10-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Do you have your safe on a platform or Just bare cement?

ka64
10-16-2011, 10:24 AM

Desiccant, I use this one in mine. Works great...

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/141736/stack-on-wireless-rechargeable-silica-gel-desiccant-dehumidifier-protects-100-cubic-feet-white

Stud722
10-17-2011, 09:41 AM
The safe is up on a platform up off of the floor. I appreciate all of the comments. I think I may try the Lowe's product along with the drying rod I have in there now. Thanks

LakeBound
10-17-2011, 12:01 PM
The safe is up on a platform up off of the floor. I appreciate all of the comments. I think I may try the Lowe's product along with the drying rod I have in there now. Thanks

So, just curious .... how is it anchored? To the wall behind or, to the floor? Just asking so as to prepare for mounting my own.

Thanks,

Stud722
10-17-2011, 07:27 PM
The safe itself wieghs over a ton. We had to have a fork lift put it in the garage. The pallet that it sits on is anchored to the cement floor with set screws and the safe is than bolted to the pallet.

chewy
10-17-2011, 07:38 PM
I put a couple 1 lb dessicant bags then ran a long rope light (white) throughout for lighting but I've discovered that the 12ft rope light actually provides heat and keeps it warm and dry.

Farmer Dan
11-27-2011, 11:38 AM
I use dessicant in the wood cabinet I made. I get the stuff free from work. You'd be surprised how big those bags of dessicant are when they package a 108 inch flat screen tv.

rambro
12-03-2011, 05:25 PM
what are the dimensions of the safe ? Are you saying you cant get it in yourself with some buddies, or it is impossible to fit in a home through standard door that is not french doors?

Piano moving, and safe moving are not standard items, moving companies specialize in them, and have special tools for getting it done damage free.

I would suggest trading out the mega safe for 3 safes you can fit in your door, or putting in a french door on the back of your home so you can get this beast in.

Garage is just not appropriate. Not unless its full of stainless Remmington 870 marine shottys.

Your guns are safer in your house in a 18 guage sheetmetal $130 safe from dunhams.

The way you are doing it, it is more likely they will be ruined by the environment than stolen or burned up.