PDA

View Full Version : Safe Do Over

polishnightmare
10-18-2011, 07:53 PM
If you had the chance to get a do over on your safe, what kind of safe would you get. What do you not like about the one you have now. What would you get on the next one. What kind, how big, X options, etc.

Chadwick122689
10-18-2011, 09:41 PM
I bought my old man a Redhead safe (24 gun?)... and the only regret I have is not buying a bigger one because it's just too crowded... Then again, I didn't count on my mom going on a gun buying spree since then either so I "thought" it was big enough at the time, but 5 new pistols and 3 new rifles have appeared (with another on the way) and crowded out a few of the toys to be hidden with trigger locks...

BWHaas
10-18-2011, 10:12 PM
I agree with Chads comments, I think as a rule of thumb you should double your current inventory to find your safe size...thats a good place to start! :biggrin:

dpgperftest
10-18-2011, 11:18 PM
+1 bigger

rjrivero
10-18-2011, 11:23 PM
If you had the chance to get a do over on your safe, what kind of safe would you get. What do you not like about the one you have now. What would you get on the next one. What kind, how big, X options, etc.
I have a Heritage safe. 5 feet tall, 4 feet wide, 3 feet deep. I am at the point where I need to decide if I buy another, or just bite the bullet and build a Vault. I'm heavily leaning toward building a VAULT.

j69charger500
10-20-2011, 09:55 AM
I have a Heritage safe. 5 feet tall, 4 feet wide, 3 feet deep. I am at the point where I need to decide if I buy another, or just bite the bullet and build a Vault. I'm heavily leaning toward building a VAULT.

Pretty much. Quarter of it for storage rest work space. Gotta have the crazy spy movie armory.

Scary thing is im serious.

CalebL1911
10-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Pretty much. Quarter of it for storage rest work space. Gotta have the crazy spy movie armory.

Scary thing is im serious.

One of my goals in life :D

Shyster
10-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Bigger safe and THEN www.storemoreguns.com

I use this and love it. I have doubled my rifle capacity.

durus5995
10-23-2011, 04:10 AM
If I were going to have a do over on my safe choice I would get something from Ft. Knox.

usmcpaul
10-23-2011, 09:27 AM
+1 bigger

:yeahthat: MIne is a Liberty and its quality is fine, it is UL listed, it's just not roomy enough.

polishnightmare
10-24-2011, 03:13 PM
What gauge steel did you go with or should go with? Looks like most I see are 12, but that seems very thin. Thoughts?

Dabears!
10-25-2011, 04:47 PM
I bought my old man a Redhead safe (24 gun?)... and the only regret I have is not buying a bigger one because it's just too crowded... Then again, I didn't count on my mom going on a gun buying spree since then either so I "thought" it was big enough at the time, but 5 new pistols and 3 new rifles have appeared (with another on the way) and crowded out a few of the toys to be hidden with trigger locks...
whys your mom keeping her guns at your place?

BWHaas
10-25-2011, 09:01 PM
I bought my old man a Redhead safe
This

Phelptwan
10-26-2011, 08:22 AM
Taller and Wider, probably a mechanical dial as well instead of a punch pad.

kevins_garage
10-27-2011, 01:41 PM
If you can keep all the excess crap from finding its way inside, a 18-20 cubic foot safe will hold quite a few long guns and pistols. They are easy enough for 2 people to move pretty easily. If you need more space, you can always buy another. A low end 18-20 will run about $400 - a decent one around $600 - a higher end one about $800+ (street price, not msrp).

Buy a smaller 5-10 cubic foot fire safe specifically for important documents and non-firearm valuables, that way you can allow your significant other or someone else to have access to that in an emergency and not have them accessing your firearms. Cannon has a 5 cubic footer with elec. lock and 2 hour fire rating that goes for $400 and Liberty offers a 8 cubic footer with elec. lock and 1 hour fire rating for $400.

There's more to think about than just buying a big/huge safe or building a vault room...

joelansing
10-31-2011, 07:16 PM
Bigger safe and THEN www.storemoreguns.com
I use this and love it. I have doubled my rifle capacity.
Those Rifle Rods do look good! I bought a 24 gun but one side of it is all ammo and stuff so I'm full up. If I had it to do over I'd get a much bigger safe. I'm trying to scavenge a large electric box now to mount on my basement wall with some fake conduit running to it for more storage. High Voltage Keep Out stickers on it and such..:)
- Joe

gigx
11-30-2011, 09:14 AM
Bigger is better. I could have gone one size bigger and still made it down the stairs but did not. I regret that. Now looking for a second safe. I was originally disappointed that I got one with external hinges but now I really love them. Able to open the door past 90°. Mine is a Liberty and overall I am happy.

ductileiron98
11-30-2011, 06:20 PM
I have a 28 count safe which now I decided it needs to be larger. I was looking at my space factor and figured I can put the same size 28 right beside the existing. I like Shyster's site he posted ! Thanks !