PDA

View Full Version : Buying first hand gun in Oakland Co. ?????

mtnsurf
10-21-2011, 04:22 AM
Hello,

and thanks for helping ahead of time. I'm looking to buy my first hand gun. I own two now that I got from my grandfather when he passed away but I'm looking for something I can carry so I can put his away and pass on to my kids "when I have some". Anyway I have a few questions. Has anyone gotten a purchase permit from the Oakland county sheriffs office in Pontiac, if so how long did it take? I have read some places you can walk in and get it in minutes and in other towns you have to wait weeks. Also my 2nd question, I think buying a handgun from a private seller would be more easy in terms of paper work dose that sound correct. Lastly if I do go to a gun shop I know I need to permit to purchase but once I pay for it, do I take it with me then or do I have to wait 5 days then go back and pick it up.

Sorry for the questions I but I work out of town and its hard for me to schedule time to be home in Michigan for more then 2 days tops.

Webb
10-21-2011, 04:41 AM
I sure some one will correct me if I am wrong
Walk in fill out form in lobby. turn it in right there and walk out with purchase permit work day. been a few years but it did take over and hour run the checks bring the paperwork. that was also Macomb.
then you have 10 days to purchase and regeisters your pistol with the county.
When you purchase privite owner you have to use a RI-60 form
sure most guys here will agree CPL makes this just way simple. if you can do it

mtnsurf
10-21-2011, 04:50 AM
I would like to get my cpl but that will have to wait till I can get home for more then 48 hours. I did apply for my Florida none resident cpl which covers all the states I work in. If I buy from a shop is there a waiting peroid. I have herd three days and also five days and some said you dont wait.

Webb
10-21-2011, 05:07 AM
this is from Bloomfeild but very similar how it work in Macomb for me before I got my CPL. is is not required to wait you just have to go in to your local jurisdiction and get the checks done yourself. buying from privite or gun shop it will work both ways.

http://www.bloomfieldtwp.org/Services/Police/GunRegistration.htm

Dsully
10-21-2011, 05:26 AM
Takes 5-10 minutes depending on how long you take the test. They give it to you and you have 10 days to buy a gun. Go to the gunshop, pick the one you want and you leave with it that day. Might take 30 minutes for the paperwork. That's it. Have fun

3rdcoach
10-21-2011, 02:23 PM
Way back when some of the citys in Wayne County used to make you wait for several days to get your permit but I havent heard of that in quite a while.
Get the permit from your local police dept. Take it to the store. Pick out what you want. Give them the permit. They call the Feds for the OK. You pay for your purchase. They fill out all of the paperwork. They give you your copies. You go home. Dont forget to drop off a copy at police dept.
Like the man said. Shouldnt take more that 30 minutes.
Unless you have trouble deciding what to buy. Now that could take a while.:welcome:

partdeux
10-21-2011, 02:29 PM
I had to wait three days in belleville from the time I turned in the application to picking up the permit...

mtnsurf
10-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Thanks Im going to start shoping online so I know what i want before I get home, as its allways a time crunch.

FAK148
10-21-2011, 03:28 PM
Livonia was a 3 day wait after paperwork is submitted.

Leader
10-21-2011, 03:52 PM
I sure some one will correct me if I am wrong

Yup... Someone is going to try.

Walk in fill out form in lobby. turn it in right there and walk out with purchase permit work day. been a few years but it did take over and hour run the checks bring the paperwork. that was also Macomb.

Don't know about Pontiac now but Livingston County you get your permit when you finish the test. (Walk in, tell the nice lady you want a purchase permit, she gets your info (nane, address, etc,) gives you the short simple test, when finished, you hand it back to her.)

then you have 10 days to purchase and regeisters your pistol with the county.

Yup.. Permit is good for 10 days. After you buy a gun you THEN have 10 days to send in the 2 copies for the police. Mail them is easiest or you can take them into the police station.

When you purchase privite owner you have to use a RI-60 form
sure most guys here will agree CPL makes this just way simple. if you can do it

Nope.. Buying from a store or private party, you use the same purchase permit. Just no NICS check or other paperwork in private sale.
Gun stores do all the paperwork except sign it for you so don't worry about that part.
If you get a CPL, then it eliminates the purchase permit, you can just print a RI-60 off the internet & send in the required copies.

nitrous_bob
10-26-2011, 07:01 PM
^^^ yup what he said

again, not sure of pontiac, but in st clair shores they only issue on certain days and make you wait a day. and funky hours too.

so +1 on the cpl

and private party way easier....why have to do ANOTHER background check after you just did one ????? and risk the computer being down...delays etc.

AleksanderSuave
11-01-2011, 11:54 PM
I was a witness of the new process for a purchase permit in pontiac when I was finger printed for my cpl.

couple walked in with kids in hand. was in and out before I was done being finger printed. fastest government transaction I have ever seen in my life, I wish mine was that way, I waited almost a full week for my PP from oak park.