PDA

View Full Version : Quick access to long gun?

Mauser
10-22-2011, 10:17 PM
I am looking for a solution to an access problem. We have a few acres, and varmints abound, especially those that want to eat my chickens. The problem is that once I spot a raccoon/possum/coyote, etc., I have to go downstairs, unlock the safe, load the clip, and get back upstairs, by which time the offensive little critter has had a cup of coffee and a smoke, and is on his way back into my woods.

I have young kids at home, so keeping something unlocked is not an option. Is there a reasonably priced solution to allow secure storage but quick and easy and access to a long gun?

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

LakeBound
10-22-2011, 10:22 PM
I am looking for a solution to an access problem. We have a few acres, and varmints abound, especially those that want to eat my chickens. The problem is that once I spot a raccoon/possum/coyote, etc., I have to go downstairs, unlock the safe, load the clip, and get back upstairs, by which time the offensive little critter has had a cup of coffee and a smoke, and is on his way back into my woods.

I have young kids at home, so keeping something unlocked is not an option. Is there a reasonably priced solution to allow secure storage but quick and easy and access to a long gun?

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

I don't know what you would consider reasonable with regard to costs. But you may want to consider the ShotLock.

Find it here. (http://www.shotlock.com/Default.asp)

dekova
10-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Mount the shotlock on a wall next to the bed?

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11609953

Roddypipper
10-23-2011, 10:59 AM
Teach you children about gun saftey, then take them to a DNR or NRA saftey course. Hand the rifle over your front door, if your kids are to small to reach it then they shouldnt be left alone to begin with. Save the money and buy ammo .

who dat
10-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Rifle over door, removeable mag in pocket or small safe nearby.

MGO also has a holder that's quick release for several types of weapons. http://www.migunowners.org/forum/products.php?pg=2

wishn-i-was-fishn
10-23-2011, 11:35 AM
I have a small farm and similar critter problems.
the most effective solution I have found is trapping. I don't have to sit around and wait or watch, just check the traps daily and dispose of whatever is caught. I use both live and body gripper traps.

I also take a shotgun with me frequently when working outside. I usually carry it in a soft case to protect the gun when I lay it down, but it is always within my reach and in my control.

who dat
10-23-2011, 11:40 AM
I have a small farm and similar critter problems.
the most effective solution I have found is trapping. I don't have to sit around and wait or watch, just check the traps daily and dispose of whatever is caught. I use both live and body gripper traps.

I also take a shotgun with me frequently when working outside. I usually carry it in a soft case to protect the gun when I lay it down, but it is always within my reach and in my control.What type of trap would you recommend for a groundhog?

wishn-i-was-fishn
10-23-2011, 12:05 PM
What type of trap would you recommend for a grounghog?

I have caught groundhogs in both live traps and in conibear #220 body gripper traps.

My best success with ground hogs has been to find the hole and set the trap so they have to go through it to get in our out.

With the live trap the best success has been to set the trap with open door facing the hole and then using sticks, stones or whatever is available, build a runway from the hoe to the trap that causes them to move directly toward the trap when exiting the hole. If they are eating a particular item from your garden use some of it for bait. I have often used broccoli with some ground hog bait paste.

I have purchased traps and baits from bugspray.com before and have gotten excellent service.

this link is to their groundhog control page:
http://www.bugspray.com/articles99/woodchucks.html

fbuckner
10-23-2011, 02:27 PM
Be aware that Conibear traps have some very specific regulations as to how you set them. You dont want incidental catches in the traps... Even here on my farm ( I do trap) I am very careful as to how I set my traps so I dont catch a wondering dog,hawk or some other animal I am not targeting.

mjerickson
10-23-2011, 05:52 PM
At camp we have a rifle rack with a cross bar and hasp just inside the shed. We have a combo lock on it and all the adults know it. Its simple and its been in place since before I was even old enough to hunt.

wishn-i-was-fishn
10-23-2011, 06:18 PM
Be aware that Conibear traps have some very specific regulations as to how you set them. You dont want incidental catches in the traps... Even here on my farm ( I do trap) I am very careful as to how I set my traps so I dont catch a wondering dog,hawk or some other animal I am not targeting.

I usually set the conibear in a 5 gal bucket with slots cut in the sides for the springs and a hole cut in the lid for the very reasons you cited.

Works great for raccoons and possums and skunks.

When setting them over ground hog holes i usually put them right over the hole and will cover them with a box to discourage non-targeted animals.

js9lives
10-23-2011, 10:23 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-1089-Collapsible-Groundhog-Armadillos/dp/B000BX1H76/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1319425884&sr=8-3

I've gotten ~20 groundhog/racoon/opossum over the past year with this trap in relatively populated Farmington. And 1 skunk :shocked: ...I sweet talked it, and it left without spraying me. A rifle report, even .22, doesn't work in my area. While it's not really the same situation, you might find that these traps work for you to hold the animal until you have a better chance to "dispose" of it properly. They will eat anything. Peanut butter, watermelon, and cut tomatoes have worked well for me.

who dat
10-24-2011, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the replies. I looked at the traps and realized the Conibears would be a problem for my yard.

Live trap will work fine. I can always take it up the road and dispatch it with a .22 and feed a coyote with it.

Dabears!
10-25-2011, 03:02 PM
At camp we have a rifle rack with a cross bar and hasp just inside the shed. We have a combo lock on it and all the adults know it. Its simple and its been in place since before I was even old enough to hunt.
THIS