PDA

View Full Version : Basic Rifle Classes?

Mike Kelly
06-27-2006, 08:36 AM
I'm putting something together. I'm doing it on the fly and I need help from the community at large;

Show of hands please, how many rifle instructors here, NRA or otherwise.
(Bonus points if you live in S.E. Michigan and own one or more AR15 rifles.)

How many of you belong to a gun club with a rifle range?

How many of you think your gun club might let me bring some Marines or Army recruits to this range for a day and teach them how to shoot AR15's?

How many of you would be willing to help? This isn't going to be a for profit operation. My idea is to take guys and gals in the Delayed Entry program and give them a head start in the marksmanship department. This has been done before and apparently the results were very good.

Since the NRA was founded by officers who were not happy with the marksmanship of new recruits, I think that going back to the organizations roots in a time of war would be a good thing.

I don't have anything set in stone. I did stop by a recruiting office this morning and they seemed genuinely interested.

Anybody here interested?

Barbara
06-28-2006, 05:33 AM
Great idea, Mike! I'm not an instuctor, but I'll help out whereever I can.

Mike Kelly
06-28-2006, 03:42 PM
Great idea, Mike! I'm not an instuctor, but I'll help out whereever I can.

Great!

taurus92
06-28-2006, 05:40 PM
I am an instructor. spent 6 years in the Marines and have a few AR's. Only thing I do not have is much time. Might be able to get some range time though. When are you looking to do this?

Barbara
06-28-2006, 06:04 PM
Mike, I don't know how many instructors they have, but you might want to post something on www.actshooters.com..lots of rifle fans over there and you might get some help.

Mike Kelly
06-28-2006, 07:10 PM
I am an instructor. spent 6 years in the Marines and have a few AR's. Only thing I do not have is much time. Might be able to get some range time though. When are you looking to do this?

The sooner the better. I don't have a time table.

I think the most important place for instructors with your experience will be during the actual live fire anyway. I'm almost certain I will need a day off work to do this.

I'm thinking, it's going to have to be a 2 day class. The first day we pack in as much classroom stuff as we can. That could be done with just a couple of instructors.
The second day ought to be like FFD, swarming the place with rifle instructors and a couple of RSO's. The instructors should be like coaches on the line once the shooting starts.
This all depends on how many rifles we get and how many seats we fill in the classroom too.

Maybe if we do a really good job, they'll let us teach a machine gun class next. (blows the dust of his old m-60 notebook)

taurus92
06-29-2006, 05:40 AM
The sooner the better. I don't have a time table.

I think the most important place for instructors with your experience will be during the actual live fire anyway. I'm almost certain I will need a day off work to do this.

I'm thinking, it's going to have to be a 2 day class. The first day we pack in as much classroom stuff as we can. That could be done with just a couple of instructors.
The second day ought to be like FFD, swarming the place with rifle instructors and a couple of RSO's. The instructors should be like coaches on the line once the shooting starts.
This all depends on how many rifles we get and how many seats we fill in the classroom too.

Maybe if we do a really good job, they'll let us teach a machine gun class next. (blows the dust of his old m-60 notebook)

LOL M60!!! Carried one for a few years! Loved that gun and could dial it in so fast. Too bad they replaced that fine piece of weaponry.

Let me know when and where I feel a few sick days coming on

Mike Kelly
06-29-2006, 07:08 AM
LOL M60!!! Carried one for a few years! Loved that gun and could dial it in so fast. Too bad they replaced that fine piece of weaponry.

Let me know when and where I feel a few sick days coming on

I wonder if we can talk AutoOrdinance into making a semi-auto model.

Batman
06-29-2006, 11:36 PM
Although the range is not quite ready yet, Blue Water Sportsmans Assoc. in Port Huron will soon have a 200, 300 and 600 yard range good to go. The target holders are being installed in the next several weeks and the Pits are done. Contact the hi-power shooter organizers who may be able to assist with your needs.:multi:

Mike Kelly
06-30-2006, 03:16 AM
Although the range is not quite ready yet, Blue Water Sportsmans Assoc. in Port Huron will soon have a 200, 300 and 600 yard range good to go. The target holders are being installed in the next several weeks and the Pits are done. Contact the hi-power shooter organizers who may be able to assist with your needs.:multi:

Thanks Batman. Thats' good to know.