PDA

View Full Version : Aim sports red dot fail

..DETROIT..
10-26-2011, 09:41 AM
Bought an Aim Sports red dot RT4-03, with red and green, 4 type dot selector. Mounted it on my AR15 on a 45 deg rail just forward the upper on the quad rail. Went to the range and sighted my scope on the 50. Then, went to sight in the red dot and I couldn't see the dot. I looked a little closer and to my dismay the lens was laying on the bench next to my gun. I think this may be a case of "you-get-what-you-pay-for", but at $60, I thought it would hold up better. Hell, I bought a 1x scope style red dot from Ganders for $20 and it works beautiful. Noticed the lense is "glued" in. Doesn't seem durable. I will return it for a refund.

TAC
10-26-2011, 10:28 AM
A lot of the low cost red dots are intended for Airsoft, or .22LR firearms. I've mentioned before that Bushnell's TRS-25 is hard to beat for under $100. The Vortex Strikefire (Aimpoint clone) has also had decent reviews. Runs in the $150-$175 range.

I wouldn't recommend either of these if you were going to war, or hanging out with RSF :shocked: but for normal recreational target shooting, plinking, and hunting they'd serve you well.

Remasculated
10-26-2011, 10:45 AM
A lot of the low cost red dots are intended for Airsoft, or .22LR firearms. I've mentioned before that Bushnell's TRS-25 is hard to beat for under $100. The Vortex Strikefire (Aimpoint clone) has also had decent reviews. Runs in the $150-$175 range.

I wouldn't recommend either of these if you were going to war, or hanging out with RSF :shocked: but for normal recreational target shooting, plinking, and hunting they'd serve you well.

Exactly. There are a lot of good red-dot options out there for the non-combat AR -- one that would serve, say, a guy's fiancee well on her new range gun, too.

*cough*

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=151213

*cough*

Sorry, got a bit of a cold coming on...

..DETROIT..
10-26-2011, 03:30 PM
That's an interesting cough you got there, lol. Her ar has the carry handle upper for now, but that red dot is interesting. I've got an aimpoint 3x clone that I use on a regular basis (works good). As far as a "battle" sight, I keep my flat top carry handle in my case. Can't beat the irons for durability, just in case.

Wolvee
10-26-2011, 03:47 PM
You get what you pay for. ...and then sometimes even when you pay a lot, you still get crap. That's why I only by the best or at the very least the best for me at the time.

There's a saying we have in the car world, "Cheap, Fast & Reliable, pick two." I can't count how many parts I've bought over and over again through the years because I went with the cheaper part at the time.

BWHaas
10-26-2011, 09:30 PM
I have to agree with the Vortex Red Dot pointed out earlier. It is a great option for the price. The clones have costed me more than buying a real combat red dot and pissed me off greatly along the way.

Lesson learned.

HOSS48604
10-26-2011, 11:26 PM
If you're looking for decent quality at a decent price I can't say enough good things about primaryarms.com. They have their own line of Aimpoit clones, (M3, M4, and Micro) along with magnifiers and traditional optics. Customer service is second to none and shipping is FAST! I've had an M4 multi-reticle with 6x magnifier on my AR for about 6 months now, many many rounds later I still have nothing but good things to say about their equipment. By the way, my girl ain't no safe-queen. She spends most of her time riding around in a soft case and being used (as any good tool is).:crosshai:

rambro
11-29-2011, 06:39 PM
You get what you pay for. ...and then sometimes even when you pay a lot, you still get crap. That's why I only by the best or at the very least the best for me at the time.

There's a saying we have in the car world, "Cheap, Fast & Reliable, pick two." I can't count how many parts I've bought over and over again through the years because I went with the cheaper part at the time.

yep. Same with homes or building or any service really. Cheap, fast, or correct. You can only have two.

With red dots you might say, clarity, durability, and battery life. You can only have two.

mini4m3
11-30-2011, 12:15 AM
With red dots you might say, clarity, durability, and battery life. You can only have two.

Uh.....no?

For the right price you can have all three.

..DETROIT..
11-30-2011, 10:01 AM
I would have to agree with the "cheap, fast and reliable" part. I, like everyone else would love to pay an obscene amount of money for optics, but in reality most of us have financial responsibilities that takes a pretty good piece of our pie. So, I look for a balance of price, durability, application and function. I'm usually satisfied with the outcome. For instance: NC Star 3-9x variable scope mounted on my mini-14, awesome. Standard red dot with a UTG 3x magnifier, Aimpoint 3x clone, and finally an Accushot 1-4.5x variable red dot scope that I took deer hunting. Each optic was originaly purchased for my main AR, but eventually ended up on another gun as I changed configurations. Now imagine if I had paid top dollar for a scope only to find out I didn't care for it, or it didn't suit my application. Once I find that combination, I'll probably pay big money for it, but until then i'll keep experimenting. By the way ever check the classifieds in MGO and see all the optics for sale?