PDA

View Full Version : This evenings hunt

mikethepike
10-28-2011, 10:41 PM
Went out after work so i could get a few hours in the stand. At the last 1/2 hr of light, 2 large does worked their way in towards my stand where in have a peanut butter lick attractant . They were quite skiddish .
I drew on them and waited for the right shot placement ..at the last second before i was going to make it happen , both tails went up and they sorta trotted off and stopped out of bow range looking back towards my general direction and 1 let out 5 "wheezes" in short intervals.
So my question is what gives? ......was i busted , smelled or something was just out of place. What do you think?

chevyman
10-29-2011, 10:01 AM
They seen some movement or they smelled you scent, Maybe where you hunt there are thermals in the air that could spread your scent in areas that you do not notice also I have seen old does that must have a 6th sense you can have everything right and they will still bust you, Those are the ones that have to go !!!!!!!!!!! These big old does are running scared this time of the year anyways with the rut starting it just does not take anything special to set them off !!!!!!!! :thup:

Ruger
10-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Busted! Happened 100's of time to me over the years, slight wind change, just enough for them to get a smell of something related to danger.

I wouldn't abandon the stand, just give it a few days and hope for favorable winds.

HoldHard
10-29-2011, 10:41 AM
Old hunters trick is to put your scent out at your stand several weeks before the season opens. Leave a sweaty t-shirt in your stand and the deer will get used to the scent and not associate it with danger.

HH

mikethepike
10-29-2011, 05:40 PM
Old hunters trick is to put your scent out at your stand several weeks before the season opens. Leave a sweaty t-shirt in your stand and the deer will get used to the scent and not associate it with danger.

HH

Problem was, i came from work and they whiffed that new car smell :facepalm:

I didnt move a bit and they were skiddish the whole 100 yds coming in. A squirrel jumped up and they jumped back as well
Perhaps like chevyman said " that the big does are running scared this time of the year" ...i tend to agree, with the colder nights and growing higher female hormones will make them alot skiddish

Thanks mgo

Duffman
10-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Don't know how long you have been bow hunting but if that is the first time it had happened to you all I can say if get used to it. I have been in my stand and have had deer stop 50 yards out back up and leave then a diffrent group come in 1/2 hour later and bed down 20 feet from my stand same wind . Thats what makes it so fun.

chevyman
10-29-2011, 06:44 PM
If you are worryed about strange smells like car smells, Get you a bottle of REAL VANELLA at a good grocery store and put a couple of drops on your boots then a few drops out from your stand, For some reason the deer are not scared of this smell even after the shooting starts, I have had so many bucks and does walk right up to it and smell it, Also I have shot alot of bucks when they come to this smell, But I will have to tell you that the deer are yours from now on, I had a stroke in april and can not hunt anymore first time since my 44 yrs. of hunting !!!!!!! :smile: :smile: :smile: So have fun and good luck !!!!!!!

wadevb1
10-29-2011, 06:58 PM

HH

Old hunter trick that doesn't work.

Deer don't get accustomed to the scent of danger. You will ruin that spot if you seek a mature deer.

mikethepike
10-29-2011, 08:08 PM
Don't know how long you have been bow hunting but if that is the first time it had happened to you all I can say if get used to it. I have been in my stand and have had deer stop 50 yards out back up and leave then a diffrent group come in 1/2 hour later and bed down 20 feet from my stand same wind . Thats what makes it so fun.

I'm a gun hunter who went to the other side ;-)

Its really my 3rd time out in 2 years. I like the activity as i'm seeing more deer, but it hard waiting for them to get into range...the anticipation is brutal!!!

Ruger
10-30-2011, 11:29 AM
I've seen more great stands ruined by hunters that think their stink will go away! The stink will eventually disappear but the danger is ingrained in the animal.
Deer have evolved in the last 2 decades and now we see smart deer. I remember a time when I sat in what by today's standards would be considered an open blind.
I watched deer come and go all afternoon and some even so close you could almost reach out and touch them. I even smoked back then and they would smell it and test the air licking their noses and then fluting their lips to get all the scent.
Bob Fulkrod <sp> (big time deer hunter) once said that he could stand out in his white tee shirt and the deer would never know he's there. That my have been the case back then but not today!
Deer ain't the smartest creatures in the woods but their a lot smarter today then they were 20 years ago.

chevyman
10-30-2011, 01:27 PM
:lolup: :lolup: :lolup: :lolup: :lolup: :lolup: :lolup: :lolup:

mikethepike
10-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Deer ain't the smartest creatures in the woods but their a lot smarter today then they were 20 years ago.

Evolution?

Ruger
10-30-2011, 09:04 PM
Evolution?

Either that or they've obtained a sixth sense!

It only stands to reason that if genetics have been altered or tweaked that animals in the future would have to be stronger and smarter. Not that their ability to comprehend was expanded but their ability to sense danger where there was none before has been enhanced. Stranger things have happened in Nature.
What we really need is a wildlife biologist to get on board and give us an explanation for the change.