PDA

View Full Version : C.P.L training

the flyfisher
10-29-2011, 05:40 PM
I will not post where I was trained but I am a Vietnam Veteran and been around guns all my life. I do not have a problem with the training as far as the legal portion but the shooting problem I do. My son-in law had the same problem at another training place he went to. I for the life of me cannot see an instructor giving a person the right for a license to carry when the person couldn't hit the target 5 times out of 50 shots. And I cannot see how these instructors can say you are trained to carry a weapon after 40 minutes of training.
I am just saying there needs to be more training as far as the shooting and handling a weapon then talking 7 hours on legal issues. Believe me I know the legal talk is very important, and do so but not 7 hours of it. Construct a booklet with all the legal issues. I feel for people lives especially if they don't train or go to ranges and practice what the out come will be . How will they shoot, who will they shoot, and why did they shoot.

partdeux
10-29-2011, 06:02 PM
I will not post where I was trained but I am a Vietnam Veteran and been around guns all my life. I do not have a problem with the training as far as the legal portion but the shooting problem I do. My son-in law had the same problem at another training place he went to. I for the life of me cannot see an instructor giving a person the right for a license to carry when the person couldn't hit the target 5 times out of 50 shots. And I cannot see how these instructors can say you are trained to carry a weapon after 40 minutes of training.
I am just saying there needs to be more training as far as the shooting and handling a weapon then talking 7 hours on legal issues. Believe me I know the legal talk is very important, and do so but not 7 hours of it. Construct a booklet with all the legal issues. I feel for people lives especially if they don't train or go to ranges and practice what the out come will be . How will they shoot, who will they shoot, and why did they shoot.

Slippery slope, 2nd amendment says right to bear arms, not receive lessons in shooting or the crazy convoluted laws we have in this state.

What standard do use? 10 shots in the center and 40 shots 2 rings out? At what distance, 7 feet or 7 yards?

It's up to each of us to continue training and learning, many don't, but then there's people like my wife who went from barely hitting a target to owning several guns, earning her CPL, to winning the money at a plate shoot competition... all in just a few months.

wishn-i-was-fishn
10-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Doesn't sound like you got a proper class in accordance with the statute requirements or the NRA guidelines.

I just finished a NRA PPIH course. The students spent minimum of 3 hours on the range and fired nearly 100 rounds each. if they don't hit the target they shoot the exercise again and if they continue to miss they fail the class. If they exhibit unsafe gun handling they fail the class.

I am confident you would have a different report if you had received the the NRA course taught in strict accordance with the NRA course outline.

DV8r
10-29-2011, 06:33 PM
I am just saying there needs to be more training as far as the shooting and handling a weapon then talking 7 hours on legal issues. Believe me I know the legal talk is very important, and do so but not 7 hours of it. Construct a booklet with all the legal issues. I feel for people lives especially if they don't train or go to ranges and practice what the out come will be . How will they shoot, who will they shoot, and why did they shoot.We need to be training our children, maybe instead of how to use condoms.

nitrous_bob
10-30-2011, 09:09 AM
I agree to an extent but however.....

It is the individuals responsibility to learn the skills of marksmanship, not the burden of the state.

The same could be said about gun ownership alone, or obtaining a drivers license.

People get the wheel of a car everyday and they as well put numerous lives at stake.

ka64
10-30-2011, 10:18 AM
I agree to an extent but however.....

It is the individuals responsibility to learn the skills of marksmanship, not the burden of the state.

The same could be said about gun ownership alone, or obtaining a drivers license.

People get the wheel of a car everyday and they as well put numerous lives at stake.

Sad but True!

jimbos
10-30-2011, 10:41 AM
I often wonder about some of the people from my overloaded CPL class that didn't have a clue regarding which end of the gun to point before the class, and certainly didn't have a clue after the class.

I wonder if they ever went ahead with getting their license and actually spent some time in learning or receiving very basic weapon training. Or at the very least read or watched multiple videos(yeah, I know) from certified instructors.

Everyone has to start somewhere that's not the point, but some showed no drive or curiosity at all in anything except to sit there for 8 hours. It's scary.

tote'ngranny
10-30-2011, 11:26 AM
I often wonder about some of the people from my overloaded CPL class that didn't have a clue regarding which end of the gun to point before the class, and certainly didn't have a clue after the class.

I wonder if they ever went ahead with getting their license and actually spent some time in learning or receiving very basic weapon training. Or at the very least read or watched multiple videos(yeah, I know) from certified instructors.

Everyone has to start somewhere that's not the point, but some showed no drive or curiosity at all in anything except to sit there for 8 hours. It's scary.
I was there a few years ago .. not hardly knowing how to pull the trigger. I was fortunate enough that a CPL instructor picked up on that with our first phone chat. He asked me out to the range prior to the class to help me. Eventually I figured out that I had the wrong gun for me .. a S&W airweight revolver with a 10+ lb trigger pull .. sold it in preference for one that would be suitable. I found this forum to learn more .. and I have (still learning) I fear that I am the exception to the rule. I have seen far too many women get their CPL and stick their gun in a safe (men too)

jimbos
10-30-2011, 01:51 PM
I was there a few years ago .. not hardly knowing how to pull the trigger. I was fortunate enough that a CPL instructor picked up on that with our first phone chat. He asked me out to the range prior to the class to help me. Eventually I figured out that I had the wrong gun for me .. a S&W airweight revolver with a 10+ lb trigger pull .. sold it in preference for one that would be suitable. I found this forum to learn more .. and I have (still learning) I fear that I am the exception to the rule. I have seen far too many women get their CPL and stick their gun in a safe (men too)

You found a good one, that's what it's all about. While likable people, these two really had no business packing em in like they did, but what was worse, was I'm sure the signing off on people that knew as much afterwards as when they walked in and will never search out other sources to enhance anything they did learn.

Leader
10-30-2011, 03:03 PM
You found a good one, that's what it's all about. While likable people, these two really had no business packing em in like they did, but what was worse, was I'm sure the signing off on people that knew as much afterwards as when they walked in and will never search out other sources to enhance anything they did learn.

Really now.... What is there to know?
Don't shoot anybody that doesn't need shootin'.

jimbos
10-30-2011, 04:46 PM
Really now.... What is there to know?
Don't shoot anybody that doesn't need shootin'.

Okay...thank you

wJAKE19
11-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Doesn't sound like you got a proper class in accordance with the statute requirements or the NRA guidelines.

I just finished a NRA PPIH course. The students spent minimum of 3 hours on the range and fired nearly 100 rounds each. if they don't hit the target they shoot the exercise again and if they continue to miss they fail the class. If they exhibit unsafe gun handling they fail the class.

I am confident you would have a different report if you had received the the NRA course taught in strict accordance with the NRA course outline.
couldn't agree more, I took your instructor class a few years ago, and I still take your lesson to heart. I train strictly to state and nra requirements , weather I agree with it or not.
I remember you saying the nra ppith should be like a big mac, no matter what McDonald's you go to, they all taste the same. That's the standard all instructors should teach too .

ColonelKurtz
11-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Not that I disagree with the OP and others but where do you draw the line? 3-day course at GunSight? Six week military boot camp? It is scary out there, some people think OMG, 100 rounds is too much ($$$). And just because someone is/was military or police does not guarantee they're safe with guns, I see that quite often :hide:

redhawk44
11-04-2011, 11:22 AM
I took the class in '01. I disremember his name, but it was in K-zoo and I thought he did a pretty good job. It included 4 hrs of book work and 4 hrs of range time. He said bring 100 rounds of ammo and I had about 12 rounds left when I got through....probably because I was shooting a model 36 Smith...a 5 shot gun.

As to training and accuracy....in order to train a person to shoot accurately in a gun fight, one would have to devote many weeks of extensive training to it, and even then most would fail.

back about 15 years ago two Detroit cops got into a gun fight with one another and both emptied the magazines of their wonder nines at the distance of across the hood of their cruiser, and neither one of them drew blood.:-)

AbsoluteCPL
11-06-2011, 06:51 AM
I have got to go with Mr. DiRienzo on this issue. I have spoken with him at length about the facts of so called "trainers" just collecting money. As a new NRA Instructor myself I let people know that this is a serious course with serious objectives. As to the slippery slope of the 2nd amendment; hey this is an open carry state. No one is taking away your right to carry.
Happy Shooting