PDA

View Full Version : Possible Appleseed near Grand Rapids

Jetplane19
10-30-2011, 07:02 PM
I've been looking for an Appleseed event further west than Battle Creek and have come up empty handed.

I mentioned it to the club president at Kent League in Ada he sounds open to learning more about it. I pointed him to the site's FAQ page.

I've never been to one, and have no idea what's involved in logistics to set one up. What other info could I provide him when we talk next week? Are there any instructors and/or shooters near G.R. interested in a possible spring '12 weekend event?

Thanks.

Roundballer
10-30-2011, 08:00 PM
I just got back from the Appleseed at LCSC this weekend. The person that you need to direct your questions to is on this forum as "intheburbs (http://www.migunowners.org/forum/member.php?u=2900)". There is no doubt that he can answer any question that you have about an Appleseed event.

Mouse08
10-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Oh yes, we’d be very interested in getting a shoot set up in that part of the state. PM inbound…and I’ll alert out state coordinator ‘intheburbs’. We can arrange for someone to be at a Board of Directors meeting for your club to answer any questions they may have.

Please feel free to PM me any questions you have.

You beat me Roundballer...thanks!

Miki (aka mouse08)

jmonarch
10-31-2011, 09:45 AM
I'd be interested in a GR area Appleseed, too!

tech2b9
10-31-2011, 06:53 PM
That would be great to have one in the GR area!!!

Superheat
11-01-2011, 01:12 PM
We will be glad to bring the Appleseed "experience" to G.R. Just find us a range to host it. If you are a member of a club or have access to a private range let us know.
Get us a range and we will staff the event. (period)

Contact myself or Intheburbs via p.m.

We will be glad to send a represenative to present Appleseed to your club.

Garymac
11-01-2011, 03:50 PM
I think he is referring to this place

Kent County Conservation League
PO Box 397
Ada, MI 49301
616-676-1056

www.kccl.org

Superheat
11-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Lets go G.R. find us a range to host an Appleseed.

How about The Caledonia Sportsman's Club?
10721 Coldwater Road SE
Alto, MI 49302

http://www.csc.us.com/

Any members here?

tech2b9
11-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Is Appleseed a non-profit? If so than South Kent Sportsmans Club would work great.

Garymac
11-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Is Appleseed a non-profit? If so than South Kent Sportsmans Club would work great.

Yes, Appleseed is a non-profit. Give us a contact for South Kent and we will contact them.

Swamp Thing
11-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Hey Jetplane19,

If you haven't gotten in touch with Intheburbs, I am the range development coordinator for Appleseed in MI. If you want to PM me, I can be over in GR next week to meet with your board. Checking my schedule for next week, I could be there any day except Monday or Wednesday.

Thanks,

ST

jmonarch
11-04-2011, 07:31 AM
Yes, Appleseed is a non-profit. Give us a contact for South Kent and we will contact them.

I'm not a member, but...

Southkent Sportsman Club
(616) 681-2495
2536 140th Ave, Dorr, MI 49323

Swamp Thing
11-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Hey all,

I've sent out introductory emails to BOTH clubs mentioned in this thread. Follow up phone calls to go out later this afternoon.

As range develpoment coordinator, I like to swing for the bleachers when trying to get new ranges to host us. Let's hope that we get not one, but two new ranges for next year. Maybe even multiple shoots. Go big or go home, right?

ST

intheburbs
11-04-2011, 09:36 AM
JetPlane - hook us up with a range, and when the first event is scheduled, I'll give you free admission for up to four people.

I'm also posting a separate thread offering a similar "bounty" for any new ranges.

Superheat
11-04-2011, 02:04 PM
JetPlane - hook us up with a range, and when the first event is scheduled, I'll give you free admission for up to four people.

I'm also posting a separate thread offering a similar "bounty" for any new ranges.

I like it, a bounty for new ranges..:clap:

Jetplane19
11-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Hi All - as an update, I've been in contact with Intheburbs and I'll be getting info in front of the club manager at KCCL.ORG this month.
Hopefully a face-to-face presentation at a board meeting will follow, with scheduling a weekend this spring '12.
I'll keep you posted.
Thanks for everyone's interest! I'm pumped.
:sniper:

jmonarch
11-14-2011, 09:50 AM
I used to be a member, but no longer am.

West Walker Sportsman's Club
PO Box 141104, Grand Rapids, MI 49544
616-453-5081
info@wwsc.org

Jetplane19
12-13-2011, 08:57 PM
As a follow-up, I provided some Appleseed literature to the KCCL.or club pres tonight and he's very interested.

I'm in contact w/ InTheBurbs to get a FTF presentation at the February club meeting for a first time event this spring...and hopefully more after that.

I'll keep this thread posted.
Very excited for Appleseed in the GR area.

Jim G
12-14-2011, 02:24 PM
The Muskegon Club has two Apple Seed events scheduled. The first weekend in May and the last weekend in August.

Swamp Thing
03-21-2012, 08:40 AM
I met with the BoD at KCCL last night and gave 'em the Appleseed pitch.

They seemed really interested but were unable to put it to a vote. Quite a few absent members including the club manager.

I don't want to jynx myself but I got a pretty good vibe from the board and hope to hear from them soon.

Thanks Jetplane19 for getting the ball rolling for us!

ST

Jetplane19
04-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Well, Swamp Thing & InTheBurbs and I gave it our best shot, but it isn't going to happen in Ada. They have an ordinance with the city that the rifle range has a "no blue sky" policy and shooters must shoot from the benches.

From this month's newsletter: "Additional information was received on the Appleseed Project and it was determined that the structure of the program
would not fit within the Club’s safety policy and will thus be not
be approved."

Wyoming
04-28-2012, 01:18 PM
.... a "no blue sky" policy ...."

What is that, exactly?

Jetplane19
04-28-2012, 01:32 PM
Oh, sorry.

The “No Blue Sky” concept relies on range rules that require the shooter not to chamber a round until he is an approved position such that when he chambers he can not see blue sky. Shooting must occur beneath the low roof, thus preventing errant shots.

Pitmaster
04-28-2012, 06:30 PM
ST, ITB, and others

You might check out this club (http://www.chickowa.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=55&Itemid=79)

Veeper
04-23-2013, 11:26 AM
I'm totally new to this and very excited to try and get an Appleseed going in West Michigan somewhere.

Does it have to be a range? Could someone host this event on their farmland?

Roundballer
04-23-2013, 11:43 AM
I'm totally new to this and very excited to try and get an Appleseed going in West Michigan somewhere.

I think that I have read that they can do it anywhere that it can be safely and legally done.

If you have a place in mind, contact Swamp Thing (http://www.migunowners.org/forum/member.php?u=21641), I believe that he is currently doing the "range development" for Appleseed.

I think that the closest to the west side they have right now is Eaton Rapids. There are also more a little further north.

Here is the current available events..... (http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states-display.php?qstate=MI&statename=Michigan)

ETA:
This is a slightly older thread, but the you can get the gist of things: http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=154253
Just reach out and contact one of the Appleseed guys/gals in this thread, intheburbs, Garymac, Superheat, Mouse08, Pitmaster (not sure if I ever met him) or Swamp Thing, They will work with you, great bunch of guys/gals.

Garymac
04-24-2013, 09:26 AM

The answer is YES, ABSOLUTELY! We can bring to program to anywhere we can safely shoot.

intheburbs
04-24-2013, 06:13 PM

Veeper - yes, we can do an Appleseed on private land. Please contact me via PM or email at mi@appleseedinfo.org