PDA

View Full Version : have a dilema

Xd9sc-doug
10-31-2011, 01:47 PM
Okay this is my first all day hunt and at 130 I grunted a nice 130" buck in 25 yards, I felt comfortable taking the shot broadside and I rarely miss my target spot. I did today hit high on about a 35 degree angle vertical with lungs but about 3 or 4 inches from the top of his back, the 2" grim reaper did not pass through. And I have no blood, what to do? Zig zag through the woods looking for blood?

lwout65
10-31-2011, 02:11 PM
Okay this is my first all day hunt and at 130 I grunted a nice 130" buck in 25 yards, I felt comfortable taking the shot broadside and I rarely miss my target spot. I did today hit high on about a 35 degree angle vertical with lungs but about 3 or 4 inches from the top of his back, the 2" grim reaper did not pass through. And I have no blood, what to do? Zig zag through the woods looking for blood?

I would find a friend to help and do like you said zig zag and look for kicked up dirt and broken twigs. At some point you should find foamy blood if hes bleading from the mouth from a lung shot look high and low
Ive found a few useing that method.

jmanz6
10-31-2011, 02:16 PM
How is this a dilema? You shot him, now go find him. Just because you didn't drop him where he stood is no reason to think you don't have to go "hunt" for the deer you shot. Zig zag, around the area where he was hit, you should find blood at some point. He may go a long way before finally going down. Be prepared to walk a lot to find him. It's amazing how for they can go on adrenaline alone.

chevyman
10-31-2011, 02:32 PM
If there are no others close in your area Let Him Go Overnight, DO NOT PUSH HIM OR YOU WILL NEVER GET HIM !!!!!!!!!!!!! I would just let him go and settle down a stiffen up so he can not get up and I hope you can find some blood in the morning if not try slowly moveing thru the area and see if you can see him laying, Most of the time if they are hurt bad your buck will not go far till he will lay down, Do not forget that you have that broadhead in him and it is cutting and doing more damage with ever move that deer makes, So he is going to lay down and try to lick the wound !!!!!!!!!!!! A little time might get your buck !!!!!! GOOD LUCK

Xd9sc-doug
10-31-2011, 03:01 PM
He ran 50 yds out of sight! Big buck down! How do I post a pic?

wadevb1
11-02-2011, 05:59 PM

Congratulations:thumbup:

Bestboss
11-03-2011, 08:27 AM
A little tip I give new hunters, is when making a shot, pay attention and mark the location when you shot at your game and the location where you last saw it. Use gloves, marking tape, your lunch bag or anything. With those two points, you may well have a better idea of it's direction.
That way, when wandering around trying to make sense of it all, you have a good reference point to come back to and start the search again. It's part of the hunt too!

Made_in_Michigan
11-03-2011, 09:52 AM
A little tip I give new hunters, is when making a shot, pay attention and mark the location when you shot at your game and the location where you last saw it. Use gloves, marking tape, your lunch bag or anything. With those two points, you may well have a better idea of it's direction.
That way, when wandering around trying to make sense of it all, you have a good reference point to come back to and start the search again. It's part of the hunt too!

A compressed roll of white toilet paper. Serves multiple purposes. One of which being a great trail marker. Hang a bit in the tree where the shot was taken, then when you find blood. Excellent way to look back and see direction through the woods etc.

sullyxlh
11-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Tracking dogs when it gets down to it..

mikethepike
11-07-2011, 05:16 PM
You owe it to the animal to find it

mikethepike
11-07-2011, 05:17 PM

Go to www.imgur.com and register and post your pic here. We want to see it