PDA

View Full Version : Am I worried for nothing? I hope so.

sigshooter
11-02-2011, 07:55 PM
First let me preface this by saying that I am not trolling or looking to start a flame war, but I would like to hear reasoned opinions regarding my commentary below.

Isn't anyone else even a bit worried about where this silencer/suppresor thing can lead?

Now, before everyone gets all hot under the collar, I get it, I really do, the gubm't should not be able to deny the right to do what you wnat with your firearm, and should trust law abiding citizens with their abilities and equipment.

What happens though to us working clods that have a bit of a challenge just keeping up with a healthy firearms virus. I mean shooting is not a cheap hobby, and to most of us I am sure it is quite a bit more than a hobby, otherwise, we would not be so passionate about it. I will explain how silencers could possibly affect not only the affordability but basic second ammendment rights.

Imagine if you will 2 different scenarios.

1. Outdoor range/state range can be pressured by public or gubm't to make sure that the sounds of those nasty guns don't disturb the animals or the children in the area, it's for the children for godsake! Since suppressors are legal, and they don't know about all the hoops that we have to go through or the expense, they just legislate away the right to shoot an unmuffled gun. Could it be that easy? It sure could! They are not taking away your second ammendment rights, they are just making sure that the countryside is quiet. Nevermind the fact that most of us could no longer afford to own a handgun or rifle.

2. Indoor shooting range/gunshop has gone through the paperwork and all that it implies to become a class 3 FFL and now sells suppressors/silencers.

A) This range now decides that to increase their sales of suppressors/silencers now REQUIRES that anything on their range must be suppressed.

B) The customers with the disposable income to be able to afford suppressors/silencers pressure the local ranges to switch to suppressor/silencer mode so that they can enjoy the benifits of their "quiet" guns. This would restrict the non suppresed shooter to fewer and fewer places to shoot.

C) Local gubm't steps in and decides that there is just too much noise. So "Mr. Rangeowner, if you wnat to keep this here facility, you have to make sure that there is no noise coming out of this building."

I am not saying that this would or could happen overnight, I mean jeez, from what I see, most of the guys interested in this have not even fired their own firearm through a suppressor yet, still waiting on the gubm't to wave the magic wand and put them on the list. But this is the kind of blindside slippery slope that can have a hell of a backedge.

For the sake of the few that know me, I need to add this....

Regarding motorcycles, No, Learning to ride saves lives. BUT... regarding my guns yes, LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!

{nomex on} just in case
Regards,
Kurt

Joeywhat
11-02-2011, 08:05 PM
I don't think you fully grasp how obtaining a suppressor works, especially as it relates to any of the scenarios you mentioned. No range owner in their right mind would shut down their range (and likely greatest source of income) for 6 months to make a few bucks selling suppressors.

Furthermore, Michigan is not the first state in the union to allow suppressors...many other states have had them for many years with no issues.

Time to loosen up the foil hat a bit.

ETA - it should be noted that firearms are still loud when suppressed, unless shooting subsonic ammo without the action being cycled. They still make noise, and in the case of most rifle cartridges, still loud enough to require ear protection.

peppy62979
11-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Furthermore, Michigan is not the first state in the union to allow suppressors...many other states have had them for many years with no issues.

You beat me to it Joey.

To the OP try not to over think it.

sigshooter
11-02-2011, 08:23 PM

I love it! :rofl:

However I think most people that care about RKBA have a tinfoil hat hidden somewhere. Witness the recent primer drought?

Roundballer
11-03-2011, 12:09 AM
<snip>
Isn't anyone else even a bit worried about where this silencer/suppresor thing can lead?

<snip>

Nope, not worried a bit. There is a State law that protects ranges for changes in ordinances about noise. Read: http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-691-1542. As a matter of fact, you should read all of this act. http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-Act-269-of-1989

As far as the business owners making decisions about how they run their ranges.... Let's just say it would be a very poor move on their part.

rjrivero
11-03-2011, 03:17 PM
The "slippery slope" issue is bunk. No such problems have been wide spread in the other 38 states that have had legally owned private silencers since the National Firearms Act of 1934.

Silencers are a personal choice, just like firearms ownership. That's the bottom line.

There are A LOT of revolvers out there, and only the Nagant benefits from a silencer due to cylinder gap gas escape. I don't think they'll outlaw revolvers any time soon.