PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor Thread Standard

Iamero
11-03-2011, 04:09 PM
I am going to bring my AR-15 to Gander Mountain within the next week to get the barrel threaded. It is a Bushmaster DCM-XR competition barrel; I believe mil-spec.

I called them today and the gunsmith said that they thread it differently depending on the outside diameter of the barrel. I am going to be putting a brake on it for now until I get my suppressor next spring. So I am just wondering if there is one pretty generic threading standard for silencers or if you can order them according to what your barrel thread is.

Any information would help.

Thanks

rjrivero
11-03-2011, 04:21 PM
AR's are threaded to a 1/2 x 28 Threads per inch standard. Go with that, and decide which suppressor you want later. Your gunsmith *should* already know this. If it's a bull barrel, it'll have to be turned down first then threaded. If your smith is unwilling to do that, then save yourself the headache and send the upper off to a shop that does them A LOT. I use ADCO Firearms in Sylvania, OH. But it's not rocket science. I've talked to gander mountain gunsmiths before, but I've never been impressed enough with one to let them touch one of my guns.

Make sure that the threading is concentric to the BORE in order to avoid baffle strikes. There are different techniques to do this right. You want to be sure that your machinist does this right. Baffle strikes are expensive.

RECON762WT
11-03-2011, 04:52 PM
I've talked to gander mountain gunsmiths before, but I've never been impressed enough with one to let them touch one of my guns.

+1
I wouldn't let them mount a sling on my rifle...

Iamero
11-03-2011, 04:59 PM
+1
I wouldn't let them mount a sling on my rifle...

Well I called them because they are close by and they did the work on my .300 throat and did a nice job. They took a while because they had to have the parts sent in, but he did do a good job. My co-worker has had 2 brakes done by them and he said he is very happy with their work so far.

Gloofy
11-03-2011, 06:06 PM
http://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/shop_.cfm?code=1

I had them re-profile an AR barrel for me. They do all sorts of mail order work and have good feedback via AR15.com and M4carbine.net

Tom Fineis
11-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Go to Adco. The dude should have had no question as to the thread size.

rjrivero
11-03-2011, 06:11 PM
http://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/shop_.cfm?code=1

I had them re-profile an AR barrel for me. They do all sorts of mail order work and have good feedback via AR15.com and M4carbine.net
That's the shop I use for just about everything. They may never answer the phone, but they do good work. email to steve@adcofirearms.com or dave@adcofirearms.com if you have any questions.

Iamero
11-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Thank you for the heads up, I will be contacting some of the guys at Adco about threading my barrel. It is half the price of what Gander Mountain charges too.

Secondly, I want to get a brake on there until I get my can. What do you guys suggest?

Gloofy
11-03-2011, 06:59 PM
How much money do you want to spend?

AAC (http://www.advanced-armament.com/) and others make suppressor mount brakes and flash hiders.

Personally I like the looks of the Blackout 18t and the 51t's. I've been considering buying one of their brakes for a .308 bolt gun

Iamero
11-03-2011, 07:03 PM
How much money do you want to spend?

AAC (http://www.advanced-armament.com/) and others make suppressor mount brakes and flash hiders.

Personally I like the looks of the Blackout 18t and the 51t's. I've been considering buying one of their brakes for a .308 bolt gun

I was hoping to stick between $50-100. These are just a few that I was looking at:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/779850/jp-enterprises-bennie-cooley-tactical-muzzle-brake-223-caliber-1-2-28-thread-925-outside-diameter-steel-matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/942876/dpms-muzzle-brake-miculek-1-2-28-thread-ar-15-steel-matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/911460/pri-muzzle-brake-quiet-control-1-2-28-thread-ar-15-steel-matte

I have been a fan of JP enterprises in the past.

Gloofy
11-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Eventually you are getting a suppressor right? Do you plan on getting a 5.56/223 can specifically? Would you get a .30 cal can and use it on your .223?

I'm guessing any of those brakes would do great. If you plan on getting a suppressor anyway, why not get a brake that will allow you to leave the brake in place and quick attach the suppressor?

rjrivero
11-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Thank you for the heads up, I will be contacting some of the guys at Adco about threading my barrel. It is half the price of what Gander Mountain charges too.

Secondly, I want to get a brake on there until I get my can. What do you guys suggest?
If you want a BRAKE, AND A CAN, then the only logical choice is to go with an OPS INC brake. If you have a bull barrel, they can turn the barrel down to accept a suppressor of your choice.

The OPS INC cans are reflex style, so they come down the barrel a bit and the first chamber, the "BLAST CHAMBER" comes back over the barrel. The can mounts by threading onto the muzzle break, and there is a second COLLAR over the barrel that indexes the can from the rear.

The MK-12 style uppers will show you the OPS INC brake, and the collar. THIS PAGE. (http://www.adcofirearms.com/acc/ProductLine_.cfm?product_category=Complete Uppers&subcategory=Rifle Uppers)

If you have a bull barrel, you can have them turn the barrel down so you won't need the collar, and the suppressor will screw down right onto the barrel.

The only decision to make is WHICH OPS INC can you would want. The 12th model and the 16th model are the ones that you would want to choose from. The 12th model is a bit longer and a bit quieter. It will shroud the barrel a bit more.

Hope this helps.

RJ

Iamero
11-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Eventually you are getting a suppressor right? Do you plan on getting a 5.56/223 can specifically? Would you get a .30 cal can and use it on your .223?

I'm guessing any of those brakes would do great. If you plan on getting a suppressor anyway, why not get a brake that will allow you to leave the brake in place and quick attach the suppressor?

I thought about getting a .30 cal can for it so I could use it on my .308 as well but I haven't decided because I am actually looking to get a .338 soon and then I would need a can for that which I could put on my .308. So either way I think I would end up with 2 different ones.

The quick release muzzle break/suppressor deal that you showed me from AAC is interesting, that may be a good option. Are those quick release silencers pretty legit and secure? I don't know much on them.

Gloofy
11-03-2011, 07:23 PM
I don't know for sure. I would assume so. There are some heavy hitters that use them.

rjrivero
11-03-2011, 07:33 PM
<----Not a quick detach fan.

The quick release muzzle break/suppressor deal that you showed me from AAC is interesting, that may be a good option. Are those quick release silencers pretty legit and secure? I don't know much on them.

This is personal preference, and I'll tell you my theory, as if anyone really wants to hear my ramblings.

Quick attach and detach aren't such a big deal to me, since once the suppressor goes on, it rarely ever comes off. The more fine the threads, the more friction you have holding the suppressor in place. The fact that you can put your suppressor on with a flick of the wrist, retained indexed by steel spring, on a system that's designed to get hot, then cool, then get hot again really doesn't do good things to your steel spring retention mechanism.

I really don't like 3 lug adaptors either, because they are held on by a coiled spring pressing against the triple lugs to hold them in place. I have seen more than a couple that would actually waggle on the barrel. Not for me.

Again, the preceding message is my personal preference. I don't pretend to have all the answers.

Gloofy
11-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Which ones have you used?

rjrivero
11-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Which ones have you used?
I have had the opportunity to use the AAC M4 (which uses a piece of spring steel against the serrated part of their proprieteary flash hider or break (The one I used was on their flash hider.)

I've also had the opportunity to shoot a Halo from Gemtech using their "quick attach" feature that cinches down on the flash hider.

I've also used Tri-Lug mounts for various guns with SWR's Trident-9.

I haven't shot a G5 (gemtech) but I have had the opportunity to fondle one.

If quick mount is what you want, then there are MANY manufacturers making them. Personally, I prefer a thread mounted suppressor.

rjrivero
07-02-2012, 03:30 PM
I have had the opportunity to use the AAC M4 (which uses a piece of spring steel against the serrated part of their proprieteary flash hider or break (The one I used was on their flash hider.)

I've also had the opportunity to shoot a Halo from Gemtech using their "quick attach" feature that cinches down on the flash hider.

I've also used Tri-Lug mounts for various guns with SWR's Trident-9.

I haven't shot a G5 (gemtech) but I have had the opportunity to fondle one.

If quick mount is what you want, then there are MANY manufacturers making them. Personally, I prefer a thread mounted suppressor.
The Gemtech G5 was brought out to a carbine shoot yesterday. We probably shot between 160 and 200 rounds through the carbines that day. The G5 with the dual lug mounting system got carbon fouled pretty badly. Took two guys some 10 minutes to work that suppressor off it's quick mount flash hider. The Ops 16th however came off with a gloved hand without issue.

Personally, I'm still not a fan of quick detach suppressors.

SSG3K
07-02-2012, 10:03 PM
get a shark can problem solved. thet have diffrent adapters for the can. also make sure the threads are cut to a class three standard and checked with a ring gauge. some of the responses on here are quite funny.

rich

John L
07-03-2012, 07:22 AM
You should decide what suppressor your going to buy, then have the barrel threaded to that suppressors exact specifications. They are not all the same.

ΜΟΛΩΝ_ΛΑΒΕ
07-09-2012, 11:49 PM
I thought about getting a .30 cal can for it so I could use it on my .308 as well but I haven't decided because I am actually looking to get a .338 soon and then I would need a can for that which I could put on my .308. So either way I think I would end up with 2 different ones.

+1 for having ADCO do the work. Steve has done some work for me. I sent him down an upper I was having problems with with return shipping $ in the box. He fired the upper, ID'd what the problem was and told me what I can do on my own to fix it, boxed it back and sent it to me. He left the $ in the box with a note saying he enjoyed the upper and was happy to help.

All of my orders from them have been filled and shipped fast (if in stock) and I know 3 people who have had bbls turned by ADCO, and almost 13 years on line in various gun forums...no one that I know has ever said anything bad about ADCO.

I would get the bbl turned to the standard, there are dozens of options out there for mounting can's. If you get it turned standard, you keep your options open, if not, you limit the bbl and your options.

Good luck.