PDA

View Full Version : Competition on Public Land

TomE
11-04-2011, 07:24 AM
So I go out to and old stand I've been using off and on for 20 years, it's a high traffic area both for deer and humans. It's off an open field with some apple trees in it, with surrounding planted pines that are mature. Most of the time people park near there to hunt. When they do ,the deer simply move, usually by my stand area.

Well this morning I go out for some bow work, I see a pop-up blind out in the middle of the field, under a apple tree, with a different type of apples put out as bait in the pines, within 50 yards of my old stand.

I know its public land, but squeezing someone out is BS. Putting a blind up under a apple tree, where deer bed down and feed :?:,then putting down your own apples 20 yards from the blind, is ignorant.

Why not just put the blind up in the pines and watch the apple trees :?:

I'm glad I have a bunch of other spots.

Since my spot was taken, and the coffee was working, I decided to come home, check my emails and have a BM

I'm going out back to catch the 8:30 express in back of the home, if someone is there, they're tresspassing and will be dealt with accordingly

pkuptruck
11-04-2011, 07:35 AM
hope the coffe and the BM worked out for you...:)

Its public land... and it does SUCK.. been there...done that...

Same sort of thing happened to me. HUnted in the same area , parked in the same spot, etc for many many many years..

then, out of the blue...some dork posted a Camping Permit in out parking area... and then proceeded to use MY glow tacks to find a great ground bind... and a tree marked for a ladderstand...

They have been coming back for 4 or 5 years straight... reported their baiting last year ( now its legal..) and to my knowledge... they havent SEEN a deer in their whole experience....

Good News? I moved north of the ridges from there... and have taken a nicer buck every year!! :brow:

karma, they say... is a BEEEE-OTCH! :-P

TomE
11-05-2011, 10:53 AM
I went to sight in the '06 in the afternoon in the field, but the pop-up was gone. Now I'll have to hit Red Pine instead after the weekend zoo, since my backyard range is closed for hunting season.

chevyman
11-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Why is there are so many public areas that have a hunter by every other tree, Then there is other public land that I hunted years ago and shot bucks there that hardly gets hunted to this day, Sure you had to walk in thru alot of woods to get back in there but this is where the bucks go when the shooting starts !!!!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

wardog6t
11-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Why is there are so many pudlic areas that have a hunter by every other tree, Then there is other public land that I hunted years ago and shot bucks there that hardly gets hunted to this day, Sure you had to walk in thru alot of woods to get back in there but this is where the bucks go when the shooting starts !!!!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

+1 Can't cite it but I read somewhere on the DNR website that a majority of hunters, hunt less then 300yds from the road or where they park...

dpgperftest
11-05-2011, 12:26 PM
where i hunt the deer walk up to the trucks and tractors to check them out

ductileiron98
11-05-2011, 01:01 PM
So I go out to and old stand I've been using off and on for 20 years, it's a high traffic area both for deer and humans. It's off an open field with some apple trees in it, with surrounding planted pines that are mature. Most of the time people park near there to hunt. When they do ,the deer simply move, usually by my stand area.

Well this morning I go out for some bow work, I see a pop-up blind out in the middle of the field, under a apple tree, with a different type of apples put out as bait in the pines, within 50 yards of my old stand.

I know its public land, but squeezing someone out is BS. Putting a blind up under a apple tree, where deer bed down and feed :?:,then putting down your own apples 20 yards from the blind, is ignorant.

Why not just put the blind up in the pines and watch the apple trees :?:

I'm glad I have a bunch of other spots.

Since my spot was taken, and the coffee was working, I decided to come home, check my emails and have a BM

I'm going out back to catch the 8:30 express in back of the home, if someone is there, they're tresspassing and will be dealt with accordingly
TomE, I hear ya. I have property that i have owned for awhile. Then the 18 acres behind me sells and the new owner puts his 20' tall monster blind right on the property line ? It is deer hunting politricks ! Folks get so goofy. With the dry deer blood spreading it on the property lines. To the hoarding scare tatics of trying to keep the deer off or out of somebodies acreage. Stealing salt licks, ladders, all of the childish crap. Idiots will always be well, idiots ! Good luck !

chevyman
11-05-2011, 02:06 PM
+1 Can't cite it but I read somewhere on the DNR website that a majority of hunters, hunt less then 300yds from the road or where they park...
I hear ya, I went past this spot less than an hour ago and nobody around, Does not even look like anyone has been there, Anyone need a good place to hunt in lapeer Co.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

fr3db3ar
11-05-2011, 03:00 PM
I went to do a little coyote hunting at a spot I know. Some bow hunters were out there and one of them yelled at me "WHY DON'T YOU HUNT SOMEWHERE ELSE"

I just laughed to myself, "well it's public land"

langenc
11-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Up here some ja55 usually parks right in front of my blind. When they are asked to move they just tell you where to go.

Either that or they block the two track with their vehicle.

Sportsmen. I suppose they could answer like fr3db3ar.

dpgperftest
11-08-2011, 01:46 AM
Up here some ja55 usually parks right in front of my blind. When they are asked to move they just tell you where to go.

Either that or they block the two track with their vehicle.

Sportsmen. I suppose they could answer like fr3db3ar.
wow that sucks

Leader
11-08-2011, 06:17 AM
I get a big kick out of people that get excited because they saw another hunter pass within 100 yards of their blind while deer hunting but will sit in a 12 foot boat with two other hunters and duck hunt .
Some of the guys I hunted with got upset because another friend drove his 4wheeler right under my stand up north going to his blind.
Fact is I got deer out of that stand every year after he started using that trail to get to his blind. And usually someone else got at least one from there after I got mine.
People who film hunts sit near the hunters & it doesn't stop successful hunts, what makes you think that the presents of another human being is going to kill your chances of ever seeing a deer from a good blind?

dpgperftest
11-08-2011, 11:52 AM
+1 even that I hunt privet land it you don't have hunters moving about most of the time the deer will not move Intel night time

HamSandWich
11-08-2011, 01:08 PM
stories like these make me thankful i have private land to hunt. although i have come across several trespassers (which at 95% of the time locals) who always claim to be lost, but know exactly where and what they are doing

TomE
11-08-2011, 01:13 PM
My main issue really was why put a blind up under a apple tree, then buy apples and put them out 50' away?

Why not just watch the apple trees? And save $$$ not buying bait.

Leader
11-08-2011, 01:29 PM
My main issue really was why put a blind up under a apple tree, then buy apples and put them out 50' away?

Why not just watch the apple trees? And save $$$ not buying bait.

That I agree with 100%

I don't bait, don't figure I need to with everyone else doing it.
All I have to do is position myself between other peoples bait piles and wait.

chevyman
11-08-2011, 01:45 PM
That I agree with 100%

I don't bait, don't figure I need to with everyone else doing it.
All I have to do is position myself between other peoples bait piles and wait.
+100 You do not have to bait, If you have a smart mature buck he will never come in to your bait pile unless it is late at night !!!!!!!!!!!

dpgperftest
11-08-2011, 01:48 PM
I didn't hunt for 7 years! on public land because of people like that :toss:

Leader
11-08-2011, 01:56 PM
I didn't hunt for 7 years! on public land because of people like that :toss:

People like what?
That don't bait?????

dpgperftest
11-09-2011, 12:51 AM
People like what?
That don't bait?????
Reread post 10

fegPA63
11-11-2011, 10:08 AM
some dudes fired on my old man after he wouldnt leave state land they were on years ago, up by Manton, they had a trailer about 4 miles in the woods down a two track he came in on and they yelled "Hey, get the ^&%$ out of here, this is our spot" well he stayed put hunting(its state land) and next thing he knows they're sending shots his way off to the sides of the blind he was in. Claims he turned and put his 300 Mag Weatherby on the one doin the shootings head

theres idiots everywhere. Be prepared:bigun2:

wardog6t
11-12-2011, 12:29 AM
some dudes fired on my old man after he wouldnt leave state land they were on years ago, up by Manton, they had a trailer about 4 miles in the woods down a two track he came in on and they yelled "Hey, get the ^&%$ out of here, this is our spot" well he stayed put hunting(its state land) and next thing he knows they're sending shots his way off to the sides of the blind he was in. Claims he turned and put his 300 Mag Weatherby on the one doin the shootings head

theres idiots everywhere. Be prepared:bigun2:

When I took my hunter safety course. I asked the instructer how much ammo I should take for deer hunting... His answer was, if your hunting state land take more then the other guy...To this day I take a lot of ammo with me for that shtf day...I figure in the military I carried 240 rounds daily so half should suffice in the civilian world...

fegPA63
11-12-2011, 09:31 AM
yup, you just never know. If I remember right some guy in Wisconsin took out a bunch of deer hunters about 5-6 years back on state land

TomE
11-12-2011, 10:49 AM
We were deer camping off Mt.Tom road about 13 years back. Opening day a group of hunters park 100 ft down the road and proceed to hunt

We were deer camping in the thumb on State land about 12 years ago. Opening Day a truckload of hunters park 20 ' from our camper and go out hunting. I left a rather large piece of DNA by the drivers door.

I'm looking forward to this Opening Day, I wonder if I'll have to remove any chairs from my stands this year because of the Occupy Movement

Ruger
11-12-2011, 11:16 AM
We were deer camping off Mt.Tom road about 13 years back. Opening day a group of hunters park 100 ft down the road and proceed to hunt

We were deer camping in the thumb on State land about 12 years ago. Opening Day a truckload of hunters park 20 ' from our camper and go out hunting. I left a rather large piece of DNA by the drivers door.

I'm looking forward to this Opening Day, I wonder if I'll have to remove any chairs from my stands this year because of the Occupy Movement

I've hunted Mt. Tom road (or in the area for many years) and the place has become a zoo for people from Ohio. Mt. Tom and Pennsylvania crossing has gone from a small road to a major highway in 20 years. We were just there 3 weeks ago and met up with a retired camper out in the woods and he had been hunting since opening day of bow and had only seen 3 deer that were worth his time. We also talked with a guy that has a home up on Esch Rd. and he was telling us that 6 campers with 5th wheels tried to lease a small area to park their rigs in for this season and he declined and they actually got pissed at him and called him a "Anti"

It ain't the same place it used to be TomE and never will be.