PDA

View Full Version : Road Kill

mikethepike
11-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Would you guys pick up a deer that has been hit by a vehicle ( 1 you saw hit , a car that saw it hit and pulled over, or 1 that when you went 1 way wasnt there and came back and it was there and temps are premium for non-spoilage?)

What are your thoughts?

I'm 1 of those guys and i grind em up into delicious jerky

OpenSights
11-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Yes.

MrBi11
11-06-2011, 04:55 AM
The police department usta call me when a deer got hit and the driver didn't want it.

So yes

mikethepike
11-06-2011, 06:13 AM
When i see them on the road, i just think of packages of jerky:thumbup:...they gotta be fresh

TomE
11-06-2011, 06:16 AM
You kill it, we grill it @ The Road Kill Cafe

Roddypipper
11-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Ive never done this myself for the meat , but several times haven gotten the antlers and cleaned up the area. I used to sell the antlers to "Marbles ' for making knifes so everytime I saw a deer I though, wow $25 bucks cash, this was in the mid 1980's

who dat
11-06-2011, 09:16 AM
All y'all may want to check with the DNR before you do this again.

5.10 Highway killed deer and bear permit, issuance; prohibited acts.
Sec. 5.10 (1) A deer or bear killed by collision with a motor vehicle, or so injured that it must be killed, may be possessed by a person only if that person has obtained a highway killed deer and bear permit. The highway killed deer and bear permit may be issued by a police or peace officer investigating the motor vehicle collision upon a form prescribed by the director according to the following rules:
(a) The driver of the damaged vehicle shall have first priority to the highway killed deer or bear.
(b) A highway killed deer and bear permit shall not be issued to possess a spotted fawn or cub bear.
(c) A person possessing a highway killed deer or bear shall immediately produce the highway killed deer and bear permit upon the demand of a conservation officer or peace officer. Within 24 hours following the issuance of a highway killed deer and bear permit, a person possessing a highway killed deer or bear carcass shall securely attach the permit to the carcass. The permit shall remain attached until the carcass is processed or butchered for consumption.
(2) A permit authorized under this section may be issued by a conservation officer to dispose of the carcass of a deer or bear which was otherwise accidentally or unlawfully taken, or unlawfully possessed.
History: ***. Mar 31, 1989; Am. 15, 1989, ***. Sep 1, 1989; Am. 3, 1996, ***. Apr 11, 1996.

dpgperftest
11-06-2011, 09:16 AM
I seen 2 on my way out to the farm Friday night both cars and dear nothing left of the cars or dear

who dat
11-06-2011, 09:31 AM
I seen 2 on my way out to the farm Friday night both cars and dear nothing left of the cars or dear
Vaporized?

Leader
11-06-2011, 09:42 AM
Vaporized?

Yup.. No blood no glass, it was like it never happened.

dpgperftest
11-06-2011, 09:44 AM
Vaporized?
Thanks that was the word I was looking for

Yup.. No blood no glass, it was like it never happened.

Nope lots of glass and blood and chunks but Vaporized I had 6 neer miss on my way to the farm seen one big buck chasing a doe almost got them both .

Chased out 4 when I putting up my blind

chevyman
11-06-2011, 10:01 AM
If it is a fresh kill why not let someone use the meat without all of the paperwork :bs: It is better than smelling them rotting when the weather is warm, Plus they are cleaning up the roads !!!!!!!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

who dat
11-06-2011, 10:06 AM
If it is a fresh kill why not let someone use the meat without all of the paperwork :bs: It is better than smelling them rotting when the weather is warm, Plus they are cleaning up the roads !!!!!!!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:True...but I wouldn't risk my hunting license or CPL for it.

TomE
11-06-2011, 10:12 AM
We used to get the permits at the MSP post, until it closed last month

Leader
11-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Don't know if it is a fact or not but, I heard you can just call the local police & they can issue a permit over the phone.

Would be worth a try.

mikethepike
11-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Thanks who dat for citing the legality of the situation , while i was well aware of the law , the last thing i want to do is draw attention to myself when i've been drinking in my stand all day...duh! :beer: ....j/k

RifleGuy
11-06-2011, 11:02 AM
I've eaten a lot of roadkill over the years. A call to the sheriff's dept. is all that was ever needed; they would show up within 15-20 minutes and issue a permit.

Since moving to the Detroit area, I've seldom seen anything I would be interested in; usually they are.... vaporized. 8-)

who dat
11-06-2011, 11:05 AM
I believe you also have to apply it against your tag. I'll try to get a cite for that.

mikethepike
11-06-2011, 11:07 AM
I used to travel from Kzoo and back for school when i was in my 20's...i never got over seeing a 150yd blood smear in the road where a semi had hit it and dragged it, painting the cement until it was too thin and then run over a few hundred times...:facepalm:

Leader
11-06-2011, 11:18 AM
I believe you also have to apply it against your tag. I'll try to get a cite for that.

No

This I know for a fact, it has NO effect on any license you have or may get.
It is a stand alone permit to posses the deer or bear.

sullyxlh
11-07-2011, 06:58 AM
I believe you also have to apply it against your tag. I'll try to get a cite for that.You cannot use your deer tag on roadkill
A vehicle is not a lawful method of taking game.

who dat
11-07-2011, 09:08 AM
You cannot use your deer tag on roadkill
A vehicle is not a lawful method of taking game.Not what I read yesterday, but because I can't remember where I read it, I'll go with your answer.

It could have been from PGA or Redhawk, maybe even cmike. Oh, well.

bluegill
11-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Not what I read yesterday, but because I can't remember where I read it, I'll go with your answer.

It could have been from PGA or Redhawk, maybe even cmike. Oh, well.

What if you don't have a tag for various reasons up to and including, you don't hunt. Just more rumors that seem to get started all the time.

who dat
11-07-2011, 05:44 PM
What if you don't have a tag for various reasons up to and including, you don't hunt. Just more rumors that seem to get started all the time.It wasn't a tag per se. It was applied against your legal limit of deer for the season...tag or no tag. So if you could take 7 deer under various tags, and you got one permit for a road kill, you were then limited to 6 on your tags.

Don't know for sure, but it made sense.

Leader
11-07-2011, 06:28 PM
It wasn't a tag per se. It was applied against your legal limit of deer for the season...tag or no tag. So if you could take 7 deer under various tags, and you got one permit for a road kill, you were then limited to 6 on your tags.

Don't know for sure, but it made sense.

As I said, it doesn't count.

who dat
11-07-2011, 06:40 PM
As I said, it doesn't count.Wildlife Conservation Order 4.5 as follows:

(4) Road-killed game animals, except for a spotted fawn, cub bear, or migratory birds, may be kept by any person without a permit if the hunting or trapping season is open for that species where the animal was killed and if that person has a valid license for taking the animal. A road-killed game animal shall be included in the daily, possession, and season limit. A spotted fawn, cub bear, migratory game bird, and all other game animals killed outside of the open season may be kept only by a scientific or educational institution with a permit from the director for scientific or educational purposes and applicable federal permit.

Quantum007
11-07-2011, 06:57 PM
Saw it last winter when it was way below zero. On the way home from work, no deer at a spot in the road. When I was going to work the next morning a doe was hit and dead. On the way home again, someone had stopped and cut out the backstraps (beat me too it!)

Leader
11-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Wildlife Conservation Order 4.5 as follows:

(4) Road-killed game animals, except for a spotted fawn, cub bear, or migratory birds, may be kept by any person without a permit if the hunting or trapping season is open for that species where the animal was killed and if that person has a valid license for taking the animal. A road-killed game animal shall be included in the daily, possession, and season limit. A spotted fawn, cub bear, migratory game bird, and all other game animals killed outside of the open season may be kept only by a scientific or educational institution with a permit from the director for scientific or educational purposes and applicable federal permit.
This is *IF* you have a license *AND* do not get a permit from the police.
We were talking about taking the deer *WITH* a permit from the DNRE or police.
So I say again, the permit is a stand alone permit & does NOT count against any license you may have.

who dat
11-08-2011, 07:26 AM
This is *IF* you have a license *AND* do not get a permit from the police.
We were talking about taking the deer *WITH* a permit from the DNRE or police.
So I say again, the permit is a stand alone permit & does NOT count against any license you may have.
Not arguing, just stating that I saw it somewhere...this is where.

bluegill
11-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Wildlife Conservation Order 4.5 as follows:

Saw this when looking for something else. Came over to post it but you already did. Learn something new everyday, lol.

Cackler
11-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Not arguing, just stating that I saw it somewhere...this is where.

Legal language aside, has anybody ever heard of somebody getting popped for having a legally tagged deer because they hit deer with a vehicle earlier in the season? That is NOT likely to happen because nobody cares.

Quite a few years ago, we had a deer drive and a small deer ran into a fence and broke its neck. Nobody could legally tag it because nobody legally acquired it. A call to the local DNR officer resulted in "cut it up and don't worry about it". That is exactly what happened.

buckndoemi
11-14-2011, 07:13 PM
a few years back that got hit by where I deer hunt. Cops were called and they said just to take it and if anyone questioned me, to give them a call. This year a nice 8 pt was hit, but someone spotted it before I did. It was pretty beat up but could have been jerky or used to supplement dog food. Guy was waiting for the cops to show up. People give me crap at work about taking road kill but why let it go to waste.

mikethepike
11-15-2011, 12:53 PM
. People give me crap at work about taking road kill but why let it go to waste.

F those people. They are the same 1's who cry , wince and say "who going to clean this up, i pay taxes !!!!"

chevyman
11-15-2011, 03:04 PM
F those people. They are the same 1's who cry , wince and say "who going to clean this up, i pay taxes !!!!"
:thup: :thup: :thup: :yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat:

Yance
11-16-2011, 06:23 PM
Almost makes you want to get a big truck and drive down back roads...since the season started and all.

JGant
11-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Nope, I don't wanna deprive a few billies of dinner thru the winter ....

Would you guys pick up a deer that has been hit by a vehicle ( 1 you saw hit , a car that saw it hit and pulled over, or 1 that when you went 1 way wasnt there and came back and it was there and temps are premium for non-spoilage?)

What are your thoughts?

I'm 1 of those guys and i grind em up into delicious jerky

Cackler
11-17-2011, 08:12 PM
Almost makes you want to get a big truck and drive down back roads...since the season started and all.

You might want to consider violating the law but others prefer to obtain their venison via lawful means.

UPpatriot
11-19-2011, 01:08 PM
How's this for road kill, well wolf kill really, but believe it or not we ate it.

Found this dead moose calf while fishing in Canada. Despite it's looks it was very, very fresh. You can see the entrails still and pooled blood in the chest cavity. I think we scared the wolves off as we came into this bay. Tracks were very fresh in the wet sand. We saw the mother and another calf as we first came into the bay and they ran off when they saw us. Clearly spooked.

Anyways me and my cousin skinned the lower hind quarter. It was laying on the cold wet ground and had cooled down quick. We took about 12 lbs or so of choice meat and brought it back to camp. Damn that was some good moose! Tender as can be and tasty. We got 3 meals out of it. Our pilot/outfitter said in 20 years he's heard every story possible, but first time he's heard of someone eating a fresh kill they found. :gobble:

The last picture is what was left the next day. They had dragged it about 30-40 feet and cleaned it pretty good.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/Danceswithtrees/scenic/IMG_0335.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/Danceswithtrees/scenic/IMG_0336.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/Danceswithtrees/scenic/IMG_0350.jpg

Groo
11-24-2011, 08:59 AM
After I got a "clean kill" on one, I started caring a road-kill kit (tarp, bungi cords, surgical gloves and a sharp knife) with me on my daily route. All the kills I had after that point were not worthy of the kit. The last 1 went under the truck and came out the other end without the slightest bit of blood or road rash. When I went to pick it up, it seamed like every single bone was broken. That sensation is one I never want to relive. Think a fork on a blackboard x10.