PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting my SOT to become a class 3 dealer...

2A Firearms
11-08-2011, 11:09 PM
Any thoughts?

I know I'm new here, and few people know me. But I've been considering getting it but I don't know how much use I'd have for it, other than buying my own stuff.

What do you all think?

And how do I add a tagline? Grrr....

mini4m3
11-08-2011, 11:23 PM
Any thoughts?

I know I'm new here, and few people know me. But I've been considering getting it but I don't know how much use I'd have for it, other than buying my own stuff.

What do you all think?

SOT to buy just for yourself = frowned upon by ATF

2A Firearms
11-08-2011, 11:35 PM
Lol... well, it wouldn't be just for myself, but how many people really buy suppressors or full auto weapons?

mini4m3
11-09-2011, 01:19 AM
Lol... well, it wouldn't be just for myself, but how many people really buy suppressors or full auto weapons?

People with $$$, just step up shop in Birmingham and whamo - instant millionaire

Zane
11-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Any thoughts?

You won't be able to get full auto weapons without a demo letter from local law enforcement, or if you get a 02 SOT, make them yourself.

People do buy Title 2 weapons just look at the group buy thread. For many dealers, it may not be worth it to get the 03 SOT endorsement.

For suppressors, it is probably cheaper, in the long run, to set up a trust.

jmacken37
11-09-2011, 04:53 PM
An SOT is just a tax paid. You are off to the wrong start by wanting to get stuff. That is called tax evasion and is an easy way to loose the ability to own guns.

I predict that there is going to be a growing market in our state for Class III stuff. That being said, there is also a fairly large number of folks already in the business. As other's have pointed out, the trick with being a dealer with a paid SOT, is getting law letters to purchase demonstration firearms. Of course, the $500 annual tax isn't always easy either!

Jake

rjrivero
11-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Any thoughts?

What do you all think?

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a MFG license. I'd like to start making some custom integrated cans that are user serviceable. There is a little bit of demand for that kind of thing, but current mfgs seem to be ignoring that niche market.

With that said, tooling up is going to be more of a burden than the actual license and tax requirement. I'm going to first build an out building on my property to use as the licensed shop. (Need the out building anyway) and if I still have this burr in my saddle, then I'd go ahead and start manufacturing license and tax process.

With all the online dealers, this is a tough market to make money in as a startup.

2A Firearms
11-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Fortunately I already have my MFG license. As a standard dealer that is. I suppose my biggest problem is the capital to do it the way I'd really like to do it. lol. Ah well. Something to look forward to and plan I guess... :)

rjrivero
11-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Fortunately I already have my MFG license. As a standard dealer that is. I suppose my biggest problem is the capital to do it the way I'd really like to do it. lol. Ah well. Something to look forward to and plan I guess... :)
I hear you. I should mention I have a couple Form 1's pending approval to make some custom silencers. How hard can it be to spin some baffles anyway......right? :mischeif:

2A Firearms
11-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Guess it depends on if you have the proper equipment... lol. I don't... yet. :)

medic21
11-14-2011, 11:37 PM
People with $$$, just step up shop in Birmingham and whamo - instant millionaire

When you place the cost of full auto and/or suppressors in context with other recreational hobbies (Harley's, ski boats, motor homes, fishing boats, etc) the cost of an entry level MAC is very reasonable. An MP5 is even available for less than many Harley's on the road. I grant you the wife and kids may or may not share your enthusiam with Class 3 but it is a hobby for many. Reloading goes a long way is keeping costs down.

mini4m3
11-15-2011, 07:41 PM
When you place the cost of full auto and/or suppressors in context with other recreational hobbies (Harley's, ski boats, motor homes, fishing boats, etc) the cost of an entry level MAC is very reasonable. An MP5 is even available for less than many Harley's on the road. I grant you the wife and kids may or may not share your enthusiam with Class 3 but it is a hobby for many. Reloading goes a long way is keeping costs down.

Those aren't very 99%'er hobbies.

medic21
11-15-2011, 10:42 PM
Those aren't very 99%'er hobbies.
True: I should have specified I was addressing the buyers not the SOT's - my error

camaro1776
11-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Try looking at the largest purchaser of these items, our government. Maybe even just producing one simple part could give your business legitimacy. Even making just enough to cover your cost and taxes could ease the burden and allow you to try branching out from there.