PDA

View Full Version : Help picking correct arrows for bow...

fegPA63
11-10-2011, 10:37 PM
I have a compound bow, takes a 31 inch arrow, shooting 60lb draw weight

how do I select a good hunting arrow for this? All the numbers are foreign to me as I'm new at this but see they have arrows in "250" "340" etc, and aluminum ones "2018" "2016" etc. and also need to calculate the "grains per inch" for the arrow.....from what I've read 6 grains times the draw weight in lbs is what you're looking for but does that include broadhead too or just shaft?

lost.:boxing:

TomE
11-11-2011, 07:02 AM
http://www.eastonarchery.com/download/selectioncharts

There a formula for kinetic energy somewhere. 450# is desired. Most bows rate their speed based on a 300 grain arrow(point included), anything less, it's like a dry-fire

A 250 grain arrow, with a 100 grain broadhead,plus the weight of the nock and fletching,will give you a little over 350 grains and should give a flatter trajectory,more speed, but less penetration.

You need to go to a reputable bow shop, and get measured for your draw using a correct anchor point. Then get the actual draw weight measured . With that data they can select the proper shaft dia /spline weight.Too flimsly the arrow with whip when flying through the air. Too stiff and it won't absorb the energy and won't fly straight either.

It's been a few years for me on this subject, I'm getting older, taking Ginkgo Biloba and still can't remember all the details, but that's the basics.

There's a fresh inch of snow on the ground,but's its melting fast,camo's on,so is the rut

miked
11-11-2011, 07:14 AM
I have a compound bow, takes a 31 inch arrow, shooting 60lb draw weight

Measure your actual draw length. 31" is long. I don't know to many peple that actually have a 31" draw length.

how do I select a good hunting arrow for this? All the numbers are foreign to me as I'm new at this but see they have arrows in "250" "340" etc, and aluminum ones "2018" "2016" etc. and also need to calculate the "grains per inch" for the arrow.....from what I've read 6 grains times the draw weight in lbs is what you're looking for but does that include broadhead too or just shaft?

lost.:boxing:

When measuring length the tip is usually not included in the calculation. Although you want to leave enough extra so that when usuing a broadhead it does not contact the risor This will vary with the type of broadhead used. Often you can just rotate it if it is a fixed blade to clear and expandables are a non issue.

As already mentioned, a chart wil tell you what you need. Per my experience it is easier to tune an arrow that is overspined then under. But an overspined arrow is a less forgiving.

fegPA63
11-11-2011, 09:48 AM
Hey thanks guys I already went to the archery shop and got it measured i need a 31 inch arrow, the draw length is less than that 30 inch or so. Measured pounds is 60 for draw weight. I'm a bigger guy 6'3 235lbs so draw length and all that is just fine

they said stick with a 350 arrow, but trieed selling me some insane ones $70 for a half dozen, the bow isn't even worth $70 lol.

we'll see....I did the arrow calc. ting for Beman arrows and it said a 340 is what I need as well(you input cam, poundage and arrow length) so maybe I'll just order up some 340's

I want a grain per inch of about 11 for hunting eh? 6grains x 60lb draw = 360grain arrow? 11grain per inch x 31 inch length = 341 grain total, THEN add broadhead weight to that of 100gr?

man.....I need to go back to high school math for this lol

Ruger
11-11-2011, 10:08 AM
http://www.eastonarchery.com/download/selectioncharts

There a formula for kinetic energy somewhere. 450# is desired. Most bows rate their speed based on a 300 grain arrow(point included), anything less, it's like a dry-fire

A 250 grain arrow, with a 100 grain broadhead,plus the weight of the nock and fletching,will give you a little over 350 grains and should give a flatter trajectory,more speed, but less penetration.

You need to go to a reputable bow shop, and get measured for your draw using a correct anchor point. Then get the actual draw weight measured . With that data they can select the proper shaft dia /spline weight.Too flimsly the arrow with whip when flying through the air. Too stiff and it won't absorb the energy and won't fly straight either.

It's been a few years for me on this subject, I'm getting older, taking Ginkgo Biloba and still can't remember all the details, but that's the basics.

There's a fresh inch of snow on the ground,but's its melting fast,camo's on,so is the rut

Excellent explanation! Even Chuck Adams couldn't have said it better! :cheers:

fegPA63
11-12-2011, 03:19 PM
so I got the Beman ICS Bowhunters 340, 31 inch length and 9.5 grains per inch....lets hope thats right:twak: