PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest trust options

kevins_garage
11-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Is anyone here keeping track of or aware of who is offering the cheapest NFA trust options?

I ran into a few people last night at a function I had to attend and the topic of guns came up. A few people were interested in suppressors, but not interested in doing a trust themselves or paying $400+.

It's not my place to judge or get into a debate on the ins and outs of this stuff. I'm just wondering if anyone was aware of someone in SEMI that is offering their services for $200 or $300 so I can pass along the info. TIA

dougwg
11-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Shyster and JGrant are both offering them to MGO members for $350 I believe.

In posting this I assume you mean Trusts made by a local lawyer and not the $40 "Easy Will Maker" from Best Buy.

ETA: I'm having my NFA Trust drawn up by a Lawyer.

kevins_garage
11-11-2011, 09:57 AM
In posting this I assume you mean Trusts made by a local lawyer and not the $40 "Easy Will Maker" from Best Buy.
The people I was talking to were into guns, but not into guns enough to want to DIY it or spend $400. I'm not sure they will even follow through anyway, but I figured I would get back to them and it wouldn't hurt to have the info handy should someone else ask me in the future.

I thought I read here or somewhere else that someone was doing them for more like $200- $300, but haven't been able to find that info. I know about shyster and jgrant, but if anyone knows of others that are cheaper, I'm all ears...

BWHaas
11-11-2011, 11:04 AM
No offense, but why would you want cheaper in this case? It seems as though you would want someone who knows the material and can service your need better than anyone else. I'm not trying to complain, I seriously would like to know why?

To save a few bucks, you may get the "You get what you pay for" issue. IMHO.

Read the posts and look at the reputation of Shyster and I say go with the best.

kevins_garage
11-11-2011, 11:15 AM
No offense, but why would you want cheaper in this case? It seems as though you would want someone who knows the material and can service your need better than anyone else. I'm not trying to complain, I seriously would like to know why?

As I said above:

It's not my place to judge or get into a debate on the ins and outs of this stuff. I'm just wondering if anyone was aware of someone in SEMI that is offering their services for $200 or $300 so I can pass along the info.

I have no interest in debating the merits of a $40 DIY trust vs. a $200 trust vs. a $400 trust. I'm just looking for lower cost options that I can forward along to those that asked me or anyone I may run into in the future. If you can help, great. If not, no biggie.

HK USP
11-11-2011, 12:25 PM
is there a "Trusts for dummies" at Barnes N Nobles?

usmcpaul
11-20-2011, 08:21 PM
is there a "Trusts for dummies" at Barnes N Nobles?

yes there is; Its right next to the "Do it yourself Root Canals for Dummies".. I downloaded both on my Kindle.

rjrivero
11-20-2011, 08:34 PM
Is anyone here keeping track of or aware of who is offering the cheapest NFA trust options?

I ran into a few people last night at a function I had to attend and the topic of guns came up. A few people were interested in suppressors, but not interested in doing a trust themselves or paying $400+.

It's not my place to judge or get into a debate on the ins and outs of this stuff. I'm just wondering if anyone was aware of someone in SEMI that is offering their services for $200 or $300 so I can pass along the info. TIA
I can understand wanting to save yourself some money. If your buddies are really excited to do so, then by all means, google "Do it yourself NFA Trust" and you'll find A LOT of examples.

In this case, however, getting a Trust drafted by an attorney may have benefits down the road. There have been NO examples that I know of where the ATF has come knocking on doors arresting folks and confiscating NFA Goodies, however there are examples of trusts being found INVALID and the Trust having to be re-drafted and attorneys called in to hold off the ATF at expense much higher than $400 to have the trust done properly in the first place.

So, pick your poison. In this instance, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.....IMVHO.

kevins_garage
11-21-2011, 12:59 PM
I can understand wanting to save yourself some money. If your buddies are really excited to do so, then by all means, google "Do it yourself NFA Trust" and you'll find A LOT of examples.

In this case, however, getting a Trust drafted by an attorney may have benefits down the road. There have been NO examples that I know of where the ATF has come knocking on doors arresting folks and confiscating NFA Goodies, however there are examples of trusts being found INVALID and the Trust having to be re-drafted and attorneys called in to hold off the ATF at expense much higher than $400 to have the trust done properly in the first place.

So, pick your poison. In this instance, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.....IMVHO.
You obviously didn't read this thread, let alone the comments you quoted...:hoppinhappy:

ColonelKurtz
11-21-2011, 01:07 PM
:yeahthat:

Wolvee
11-21-2011, 01:16 PM
Our financial adviser told us in passing one day that he can do Trusts. While we "trust" him, (pun intended) could an FA be someone who does them often enough to ensure no rookie mistakes would happen?

Tom Fineis
11-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Our financial adviser told us in passing one day that he can do Trusts. While we "trust" him, (pun intended) could an FA be someone who does them often enough to ensure no rookie mistakes would happen?
Depends on his role, but it's certainly possible.

FA's deal with trusts on a daily basis. Most elderly folks with money to invest (smartly) keep a large portion of their assets in a trust. When I was an FA about 60% of my business was Trust related.

Flesh him out and ask questions. He might be a good resource for this if you already have an established relationship with him.

kevins_garage
11-21-2011, 04:38 PM
:yeahthat:
Thanks. Can you let me know of someone that charges $800 then so I can direct people to one that is "moar better" than a $400 one??? :togo:

kpearce
11-21-2011, 11:54 PM
Tried to send you a PM but your box is full!

ZYA_LTR
11-29-2011, 06:51 AM

Read the posts and look at the reputation of Shyster and I say go with the best.

Understood, but as a no offense rebutal.....If a Lawyer takes the time to draw up a "NFA Firearms Trust" for the sole purpose of owning Suppressors/Full Auto, then they should all be 95% the same, thus allowing him to charge whatever he wants, and not having the arguement that his time is invested after the first attempt. And i guess my thinking might be off on this one, but i would rather make a little money from alot of people, and get more business, than only making alot of money off a few people that can afford it. My local FFL only charges a ver small markup above his cost on all gun purchases, and his mentality is the same, by giving a better deal, he gets more customers, and more repeat customers, and is allowing more people to purchase and excercise their rights. And yes i do understand the liability that a lawyer is undertaking, but if he is confident in the original draft that he designed, then simply charge a flat rate for basic trusts...$200, with a *note that any changes that differ form the draft will require added time and costs incurred by the customer...voila!!! I bet they would see business double quickly.....

"Hides in corner for backlash" :prayer:

mpearce
12-07-2011, 12:07 AM
Understood, but as a no offense rebutal.....If a Lawyer takes the time to draw up a "NFA Firearms Trust" for the sole purpose of owning Suppressors/Full Auto, then they should all be 95% the same, thus allowing him to charge whatever he wants, and not having the arguement that his time is invested after the first attempt. ...And yes i do understand the liability that a lawyer is undertaking, but if he is confident in the original draft that he designed, then simply charge a flat rate for basic trusts...$200, with a *note that any changes that differ form the draft will require added time and costs incurred by the customer...voila!!! I bet they would see business double quickly.....

"Hides in corner for backlash" :prayer:

As an attorney, I cannot reveal client confidences including information about the other trusts I draft. But I can tell you that when I drafted a complete trust for my husband and myself, it is a171 pages long (this includes everything we need: trust, pourover wills, durable powers of attorney, patient advocate designations, funding documents, and his NFA trust (which is 17 pages long with all of its funding documents)). And yes, I have his permission to post this information on this forum. This is not as easy as some people think it is.

kevins_garage
12-07-2011, 01:55 PM
All I was looking for was some basic info on something I thought I saw here or elsewhere and wasn't able to find...

On that note, [/thread]