PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with a 300 WSM

TheJoker16
11-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Is the 300 WSM a good round for overall hunting or is it too much gun for Michigan hunting?

piercedone
11-15-2011, 07:31 AM
Some will say its a bit much but guys in my camp all use magnums.
Brothers dad has a 300 win mag and has dropped more deer with that gun than just about any one else in the group.

Two big things about using something like that would be.
1 Cost of ammo. If your ok with the cost run it..
2 Recoil. If you have shot it a lot and your ok with it once again run it...

Everyone in our group uses some type of magnum. I have a 7mm rem mag, another guy has the same, 300 win mag. So if its what you have and you are comfortable shooting it and hit a solid target go for it.

miked
11-15-2011, 07:56 AM
Depends on where you are hunting. Deep cover, probably overkill. If you hunt open fields where long shots are the norm then it's probably a good choice.

My deer rifle is a 30-06. Given that I've never shot a deer over 20 yards away that's pretty much overkill as well.

Shoot what you're comfortible with.

TheJoker16
11-15-2011, 11:59 AM
I usually shoot with my .243 but its down for repairs right now and I'm just waiting for the part to arrive. So i was thinking of converting my .300 WSM competition rifle into my hunting rifle until i get my other rifle fixed. My normal hunting grounds has a clearing 300 yards long i may need to set up near there while I'm using my .300 WSM so its not as much overkill

mjerickson
11-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Hurts the wallet just about as equally as the sholder. I shoot a .300WSM and over the last 12 years or so I would say that its more than enough for Michigan deer. If your heading west its adiquate and then some. However you will not see me hunting with it for anything that might consider me dinner. = .375

alex.cirabisi
11-19-2011, 06:56 PM
My father in law hunts with his. only thing he does different from a smaller rifle is shooting a whitetail in the shoulder.. ESPECIALLY with ballistic tip. He shot a few with his 300wsm and pretty much wasted the shoulder. its a browning a-bolt hunter before they switched the abolts to shotguns, and to my surprise my 30-06 ruger m77 mark II kicks harder and is louder.