PDA

View Full Version : Fingerprinting Woes

rexzor2007
11-23-2011, 07:42 PM
Google has been unhelpful in this department so I figured I would try here. I live in Lenawee county and am having a hell of a time finding a place that does affordable fingerprinting. Adrian PD charges $65, and I am worried that will be per card. The county sheriff dept does not do them any more, from what I have heard from locals in Adrian, and the State PD has shut down their post in Adrian. I am wondering if anyone knows of a place close to Adrian, MI in Lenawee county that does fingerprints (for a reasonable price). If you know of a place please provide the name, number, and price. I will appreciate any help I can get. Thanks guys!

rjrivero
11-23-2011, 08:08 PM
You can roll them yourself. This link (http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=149519&highlight=fingerprint)may help you.

you just want to make sure you don't smudge them, and roll each finger on the card. You can order the cards directly from the ATF HERE. (http://www.atf.gov/forms/dcof/) Right column, all the way to the bottom.

rexzor2007
11-23-2011, 08:16 PM
UpNorthWOLF updated on the thread that it has to be done by an "official." How would I find out whether that is correct?

rjrivero
11-23-2011, 08:26 PM
UpNorthWOLF updated on the thread that it has to be done by an "official." How would I find out whether that is correct?
Read the 5320.4 instructions (www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-4.pdf). Specifically, Part 2 paragraph f. "Properly equipped" doesn't mean "official." Get yourself an Ink Pad and you too are properly equipped to take finger prints.:brow:

FYI, if you know any cops, they have field fingerprint kits in their cruisers.......Just sayin.

dpgperftest
11-23-2011, 08:29 PM
That Crazy $65

06camarodude
11-23-2011, 08:31 PM

According to the ATF Website, "Fingerprints also must be submitted on FBI Form FD-258, in duplicate. Fingerprints must be taken by a person qualified to do so, and must be clear and classifiable."

That said, since I can provide documentation that proves I am "qualified" to obtain fingerprints through courses taken during my Military Police training, and I can obtain the required forms, I imagine I would be able to obtain your fingerprints without any issues. Unless you have some visible deformities in your fingerprints that require an LEO statement attesting to why clear prints could not be obtained, that is.

I'm doing some research to find out for sure. . . I'll let you know what I find.

rexzor2007
11-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Thanks guys. I'll let you know how things turn out, but throw out any more suggestions if you know of them. If there are no issues then I will probably be going through 06camarodude, except my left middle finger does have a rather deep scratch on if from work. Hopefully there is a way around that.

Wolvee
11-23-2011, 11:59 PM
Thanks guys. I'll let you know how things turn out, but throw out any more suggestions if you know of them. If there are no issues then I will probably be going through 06camarodude, except my left middle finger does have a rather deep scratch on if from work. Hopefully there is a way around that.

Well then you finger prints have a scratch. It doesn't make your FP's not valid, lol.

06camarodude
11-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Well then you finger prints have a scratch. It doesn't make your FP's not valid, lol.
On the ATF website, they state that a statement from a sworn law enforcement officer is required in the event that complete and legible fingerprints cannot be taken due to injury or illness. I think that's more in the case of someone with some sort of injury that prevents manipulation of the fingers to obtain prints without smudging them.

Only one way to find out, I guess he's going to have to give it a try. He'll just have to pay the PD if they get sent back. . .

mahoak
11-25-2011, 09:27 AM
My LEO suggested L1enrollment.com, and select the FBI paper card option. You make the appointment online and pay $20, show up at the time set and it takes 10 minutes. They do it electronic and print on the FBI 258 card the ATF asks for. There were quite a few Michigan locations.

dekulaw
11-25-2011, 11:47 AM
For what this is worth, the federal regs state as follows:

Title 27 CFR Chapter II, Part 479

§ 479.85 Identification of transferee.
If the transferee is an individual, such person shall securely attach to each copy of the application, Form 4 (Firearms), in the space provided on the form, a photograph of the applicant 2 × 2 inches in size, clearly showing a full front view of the features of the applicant with head bare, with the distance from the top of the head to the point of the chin approximately 11/4inches, and which shall have been taken within 1 year prior to the date of the application. The transferee shall attach two properly completed FBI Forms FD–258 (Fingerprint Card) to the application. The fingerprints must be clear for accurate classification and should be taken by someone properly equipped to take them. A certificate of the local chief of police, sheriff of the county, head of the State police, State or local district attorney or prosecutor, or such other person whose certificate may in a particular case be acceptable to the Director, shall be completed on each copy of the Form 4 (Firearms). The certificate shall state that the certifying official is satisfied that the fingerprints and photograph accompanying the application are those of the applicant and that the certifying official has no information indicating that the receipt or possession of the firearm would place the transferee in violation of State or local law or that the transferee will use the firearm for other than lawful purposes.

[T.D. ATF–270, 53 FR 10509, Mar. 31, 1988]

( Italicization done by writer)

This would seem to indicate that the CLEO is also signing off on your fingerprint card and therefore it would be the CLEO's people that need to do the print cards.

You may want to call the Branch at (304) 616-4500 and ask about the FBI Channelers, which is what I think MAHOAK suggested, to make sure that is acceptable first. Please see the FBI site at:

fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/background-checks/fbi-approved-channelers[/url]

Please let us know what you come up with. MAHOAK's suggestion would a nice, less expensive alternative to suggest to clients.

Revdrshad
11-26-2011, 10:51 PM
Isn't there a Michigan law that limits the amount of money a law enforcement agency may charge?
For some reason I'm thinking the old paper fingerprint cards were limited to $15. (As opposed to the currrent scanned inkless ones)
Maybe this was for concealed pistol licenses I'm thinking, But either way a fingerprint card is a fingerprint card...