PDA

View Full Version : Handgun capacity questions

blueman2
11-25-2011, 10:19 PM
I know the limit for handguns in the shotgun zone is 9 rounds in chamber and magazine combined for handguns used for hunting. What I have not been able to find is info on legal ways to limit magazine capacity.

For example, if I am hunting with a handgun and magazine that normally has a combined capacity exceeding 9 rounds, but I have a mag blocked to hold only 8 rounds, will it be considered a legal 9 round capacity?

If the magazine block is removable by dis-assembly of the magazine is it still legal?

Thanks for any thoughts and comments.

TomE
11-26-2011, 07:47 AM
:jailed:

blueman2
11-26-2011, 10:18 AM
:jailed:

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Not sure I correctly understand you.

If it isn't legal, what is the legal approach.

I figured that since shotgun magazine capacity can be blocked to legal limit with a removeable spacer, it would make sense that handgun magazines could take a similar approach. As long as I don't have any full cap magazines with me in the field I would expect it to be legal.

Thanks for any comments

TomE
11-26-2011, 11:00 AM
I tried finding a previous link about that. But most shotgun magazines are internal, can't be removed,so no other option is available.
A removable magazine for a pistol , shotgun or rifle in another story.
There seems to be quite a few that seem to think that you have to have a manufactured one with the correct # capacity. Like 5 round for rifle and shotgun for deer, 3 for waterfowl and 8 for pistol in the shotgun zone, which isn't necessarily all of zone 3:coocoo:

So putting a block of wood in a magazine won't work.
It would be so easy to install or remove said block while afield.

I'm not a lawyer, but I have met a few DNR

blueman2
11-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts. I decided to try the DNR, I sent the Director an email with my questions and to suggest that they publish a document clarifying acceptable methods or mechanisms.

If/when I get a reponse, I will excerpt it here.

Thanks.

blueman2
11-30-2011, 02:12 PM
So, I received a response from the DNR.

It would be acceptable to modify a higher capacity magazine, but the magazine would have to be permanently modified to hold eight rounds.

I have had some hunters place a block in the bottom of the magazine and epoxy the block into the magazine. I have other use a pin through the magazine, which can not be removed to limit the number of rounds that may be loaded.

So it seems that the magazine does not need to be originally manufactured for the lower capacity. A high capacity magazine may be modified but any mods must be permanent to the magazine body.

dukeneutron
12-01-2011, 10:31 PM
I modified a 10 round glock mag using 2 pieces of old brass and a two piece epoxy to make it 9 total rounds. best fix i cold come up with, cheap permanet and legal. would be better if i could find the proper mag but that aint going to happen. just gotta watch the last round in the mag.