PDA

View Full Version : Did you have to be interviewed?

mmissile
11-30-2011, 08:39 AM
I took my paperwork to Chesterfield Twp. for the NFA transfer. I got a call from a detective wanting to interview me, before approving the transfer. This seems stupid. I have NO criminal history, am a CPL holder[20+ years], and have plenty of registered firearms with them.

rjrivero
11-30-2011, 08:45 AM
I took my paperwork to Chesterfield Twp. for the NFA transfer. I got a call from a detective wanting to interview me, before approving the transfer. This seems stupid. I have NO criminal history, am a CPL holder[20+ years], and have plenty of registered firearms with them.
Sounds stupid to me too. Let us know what kind of questions the detective asks. Seems to me they should have bigger priorities than interviewing citizens trying to excercise their rights.

GarrettJ
11-30-2011, 08:47 AM
On all of my transfers I always called and made an appointment to see the sheriff. St. Louis County MO was the only place they ever just told me to drop the forms off. Everywhere else I've ever lived I got to see the sheriff in person, and he signed the forms while I was right there. It was always a positive experience. So yes, you could say I was "interviewed".

For that matter, I had one sheriff offer to sell me a machine gun that the department owned, while I was there getting a signoff for another gun.

mmissile
11-30-2011, 08:49 AM
I had a handgun stolen outta my truck 2 years ago[in my driveway]. The investigating detective[Chesterfield] told me it was my fault. Nice, huh? I'm not making one of those"it's my right" things, but it seems pointless.

Dansjeep2000
11-30-2011, 08:53 AM
Shiawassee County was a breeze, Sheriff signed while I waited.

ColonelKurtz
11-30-2011, 08:53 AM
I had one sheriff offer to sell me a machine gun that the department owned
what kind was it? Old Thompson or Ruger AC 556?

I never made an appointment, I figure the chief has too much other "important" stuff on his itinerary... what would you talk about anyway? If I had taken the plunge where I used to live, it wouldn't have been a problem, I knew a lot of the police there (not for the wrong reasons :smile:) where I live now it took a few days and I did end up saying if he didn't sign there are ways around the CLEO signature anyway.

GarrettJ
11-30-2011, 09:17 AM
what kind was it? Old Thompson or Ruger AC 556?
Nothing that exciting. It was an M11/9 that had been donated / abandoned to the department when the previous owner moved to California and couldn't take it with him. I knew they had had it for a few years, and had been wanting to sell it. I had planned on asking about it anyway while I was there. I was buying another M11, and as the sheriff looked over the paperwork, he said something to the effect of "M11. Are you buying this one from us? Would you like to buy one from us?" Since I knew they had one, I had brought a couple of Form 5s with me, just in case.

They wanted to use the funds to buy a patrol rifle. So I ended up paying $740 for the gun. Which was their cost for a new Bushmaster AR15. The best part was, since it was coming from a government agency, it was a tax free transfer. At the time, I think I paid $1300 + transfer tax for the other M11.

While I was there, the sheriff also pulled out the original German MP40 the department owned. They would have liked to sell that one as well. Unfortunately, it had been turned in by a widow who found it in her WWII vet husband's things after he died. Since it was never registered, it had to be registered via Form 10 by the Dept. Once it gets registered that way, it can't transfer anywhere but to another agency or a museum. As the sheriff put it, what department's SWAT team is going to use a WWII Nazi subgun?

ColonelKurtz
12-01-2011, 11:03 AM
the sheriff also pulled out the original German MP40 the department owned.
now we're talking !!

what department's SWAT team is going to use a WWII Nazi subgun?
I would :biggrin:

Actually I wouldn't, but I bet it was quite the novelty at the SWAT range :ar15:

amontana086
12-05-2011, 01:08 AM
all the hassle will definitely be worth it in the end :minigun:

mooster
12-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Sounds stupid to me too. Let us know what kind of questions the detective asks. Seems to me they should have bigger priorities than interviewing citizens trying to excercise their rights.

A few questions from a local detective sounds quite a bit more efficient than other wastes I've seen.

The worst one I experienced was back in CA. I had to get a state permit for machine guns and another one for destructive devices (both for work-related stuff). The state flew a DOJ investigator up from SoCal to interview me at work. He then went to the city police and county sheriff to look up records on me. The investigator also went and interviewed my neighbors (2-houses in each direction). At least he did several folks in the Bay Area for that trip, but it still seemed really wasteful considering how stretched the DOJ and local PDs are over there.

mmissile
12-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Turns out, the detective is a really nice guy. I also am the 1st person in Chesterfield to apply for a suppressor. We had a long talk about all sorts of stuff besides firearms.