PDA

View Full Version : skeet shooting by myself.

indianajones
08-07-2006, 11:53 AM
I've never really shot much skeet, but I am wanting to shoot more. I finally got out there yesterday and had a lot of fun. sure, I need work but hey, what can you do.

My problem is, my buddy isn't always able to go. Is there anyway I can go by myself? I found a neat little device that is voice activated that you hang on your belt, when you say "pull' it electronically pulls the launcher. but, its 100.00. for that money, I would just pay for my friend to go.

any other ideas? (other than joining a hunting club)

Tank
08-07-2006, 01:12 PM
I've never really shot much skeet, but I am wanting to shoot more. I finally got out there yesterday and had a lot of fun. sure, I need work but hey, what can you do.

My problem is, my buddy isn't always able to go. Is there anyway I can go by myself? I found a neat little device that is voice activated that you hang on your belt, when you say "pull' it electronically pulls the launcher. but, its 100.00. for that money, I would just pay for my friend to go.

any other ideas? (other than joining a hunting club)

1. teach your dog to pull the string on command :) joking... although....
2. tie the string to your leg somehow and slowly back up til it releases
3. do some TRUE practicing... put the gun on your shoulder, pull the string with your own hand then pull down on the pigeon just like a real hunting experience...

mkls0
08-07-2006, 01:53 PM
Get more Buddy's that shoot :army: :D

indianajones
08-07-2006, 02:52 PM
"3. do some TRUE practicing... put the gun on your shoulder, pull the string with your own hand then pull down on the pigeon just like a real hunting experience..."

Yeah, I thought abou that too. Looks like that's how its gonna be done.

Kimber45
08-07-2006, 06:24 PM
What you want to do is throw some clay targets from a trap at your feet or near-by. If you really want to shoot skeet Island Lake has skeet ranges and for $5 a round someone will pull for you.

ZIPGRAVER
08-28-2006, 07:54 PM
First let's get the terminology right.:shiner: You're shooting trap not skeet. Any time a single bird flies away from you from the ground...or close to it... is trap. That comes from the old English game of live pigeon shooting. They were released form a trap. Hence the two terms...TRAP and PIGEON as in clay pigeon. Occasionally one can shoot doubles trap but that is not ordinary. Handicap trap is more popular..where the shooter has to move back to be handicapped.

Skeet on the other hand is a more formal game where the clay targets are launched across a field generally in front of the shooter and from left to right out of the high house and then from right to left out of the low house. Doubles are involved but you get the idea. Skeet is MUCH harder than trap. That's why I mostly shoot trap so I don't discourage myself.:gaga:

Anyway there is some foot levers for releasing a trap like you have or just tie a long string around your leg and give it a kick. Of course a couple of buddies would be the best answer. I have a Do All Trap with seat on it and a wobbler to instantly change directions but it takes a buddy sitting on the seat to operate it.

Reason I went through all that is so that if you go out to Island Lake and want to shoot skeet you will not be shocked when they lead to to the skeet field and you say "What the hell is this???" .:)

UTPD#5
01-09-2008, 09:02 PM
I don't know what it is called, trap, skeet, busting clay, shooting orange...etc.

But, the easiest way that I have found to shoot them alone...is to leave them in the box and shoot the whole darn thing. :lol:

RifleGuy
01-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Oh yeah, once they're out of the box it can be a real bugger. Keeping them in the box is the key to a high score.

fbuckner
01-10-2008, 02:21 AM
I usually tie the release to my pantleg real lose and take a small step back with my right leg and let er fly. other that that make some friends they make good loaders and release dummies

Garbo
01-10-2008, 02:34 AM
Gimmie a call sometime and we can meet @ Island Lake. Their sporting clays can be a hoot. Dont recall the cost for the round tho. I havent been there in a few years.

wishn-i-was-fishn
01-10-2008, 07:03 AM
The Linden Sportsmen Club shoots trap most Thursday evenings and Sunday mornings. Non-members are welcome to shoot at these league times for a cost of $4.50/round of 25.

You can contact The Trap committee Tom Abraham - (810) 730-2154
if you have questions or to verify that the league is shooting before you make the drive to the club.

http://www.lindensportsmenclub.com/Trap.html

brandon48080
01-02-2010, 01:31 AM
i bought the Do All AERIAL ASSAULT foot switch electric really improves shooting kinda expensive but worth it

Batman
01-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Most "clubs" will allow guests to come out and shoot. I would go and find one near you, find out when they shoot and just show up. They'll put you in a squad of other shooters and someone else will pull for you or the club will have a trapper (kid typically) who will pull targets for you. I've met quite a few very nice folks shooting this way.

Will-IB-Ready
01-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Most "clubs" will allow guests to come out and shoot. I would go and find one near you, find out when they shoot and just show up. They'll put you in a squad of other shooters and someone else will pull for you or the club will have a trapper (kid typically) who will pull targets for you. I've met quite a few very nice folks shooting this way.
+1
That's what I've been doing. It's rare to shoot a round all by yourself. Our club isn't open very long, so there's usually plenty of people wanting to shoot.

dramey82
01-04-2010, 02:09 PM
3 1/2 years old!

garyjt
01-04-2010, 04:33 PM
If you really want to shoot skeet Island Lake has skeet ranges and for $5 a round someone will pull for you.

Just to clarify, you mean $5 per 25 clays.

Will-IB-Ready
01-04-2010, 04:35 PM
I just took my dad out to the range yesterday to shoot a few rounds of skeet. Besides it being way too cold to be out, we had a blast. He's only ever shot trap that we threw ourselves, so it was a real treat and a challenge.

pinkguns3
01-21-2010, 09:07 PM
They have remote controlled ones that are activated by a button on a key chain you can either step on or press. Haven't tried It but they sell them at gander mountain I think.

sevenplusone
01-21-2010, 11:29 PM
Buy an Ithaca. It launches the spent shells out the bottom. Tip the gun up so it's pointing at the sky, rack it hard, and try to shoot the shell that gets launched out the bottom. It's my favorite range game. The stupid thing must fly 30-35 ft if you rack it hard enough.

Passport
01-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Skeet is a clay target game, usually has a puller pulling and keeping score. Are you talkng about just tossing some clays behind the house? If so you hosed and gona cost you 100, anything else will be anythung but safe.

Find a local gun club and get to know some more shooters.

donald150
01-23-2010, 11:04 PM
1. teach your dog to pull the string on command :) joking... although....
2. tie the string to your leg somehow and slowly back up til it releases
3. do some TRUE practicing... put the gun on your shoulder, pull the string with your own hand then pull down on the pigeon just like a real hunting experience...

I sometimes do that but I hook it to my belt loop. I sometimes go with a friend that has not shot clays much and I bring two guns. so I put two targets in the thrower hook it to my belt loop and he takes one target and I take the other then when he misses I take his target too:woohoo1: