PDA

View Full Version : Taurus 617T Titanium 7 Shot .357 mag

hashelocmaccabee
12-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Yesterday, I met with a guy who was interested in buying a different firearm from me. He wanted to make sure it worked, so I took some ammo and we fired it. He ended up buying it.

I decided that I should probably finally shoot this Taurus and asked the purchaser if he would like to join in. He sure did.

I didn't know what to expect from such a light gun. Sure it has a ported barrel, but the only other thing I have shot with a ported barrel was a Smith & Wesson 500.

The S&W had a 4" barrel and weighed a whole lot more, being stainless steel construction. I only shot the smith once, because the Kentucky shop owner provided the ammo.

I put 7 rounds in the Taurus and stepped up to the firing line. I held it tight with both hands, aimed, cocked the hammer, and pulled the trigger. I was very surprised, did it a second time, and passed it to the next guy... who fired it strong hand, no support. His son fired it twice and handed it back to me. I finished the last two round strong hand, no support.

This Taurus was such a pleasure to shoot. The light weight is compensated for with the 6 ports on top of the barrel. The ports cause the expanding gas to come up through the ports and out through the muzzle. The gasses push the muzzle downward and to the rear, keeping muzzle jump to a minimum, allowing for easy follow up shots. The large ugly grips also absorb a good bit of the recoil. Very little kinetic energy is actually transferred to the hand and through the arm.

Before I shot this Taurus, I would not have recommended it for a lady to carry. I originally thought the weight and potential recoil ratio would be overwhelming. After finally shooting it, I realized my assumptions were wrong.

It would be easy for me to say it shoots like a 9mm. I can't say this is the best way to describe it. You really have to check it out for yourself and make your own observations. My words can not do enough justice.

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa352/hashelocmaccabee/Firearms%20and%20Shooting/Taurus617T_InBox.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa352/hashelocmaccabee/Firearms%20and%20Shooting/Taurus617T_RightSide.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa352/hashelocmaccabee/Firearms%20and%20Shooting/Taurus617T_Cylinder.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa352/hashelocmaccabee/Firearms%20and%20Shooting/TaurusBarrelPort.jpg

stare-decisis
12-08-2011, 08:02 AM
Seems like an interesting gun. And can't go wrong w/7 shots.

hashelocmaccabee
12-08-2011, 08:52 AM
It really is something else. I had some friends out shooting with me the other day and let them use the last 4 rounds of .357 I had.

They were shooting a Davis Ind. .38spl derringer before the Taurus. One guy and his wife were the previous owners who hadn't shot while they owned it. They liked the derringer, but were blown away by the Taurus.

I don't know what it cost to port a barrel. If you ever have a gun that has too much recoil, but love it too much to get rid of... Porting the barrel is the way I would go. It's amazing how well they work and I really can't say enough about it.

The ports for this one are factory, which was good of Taurus to do. I don't know what it would be like without them.

Batman
12-08-2011, 12:51 PM
I once have a Springfield XD9 that was ported. You are correct in that the porting does reduce the felt recoil. It was very smooth and easy on the hands. What I personally didn't care for, and which caused me to sell the gun, was the fact that the report and energy shock wave was excessive and distracting. I couldn't concentrate on shooting knowing that I'm going to get slapped in the face with muzzle blast. For some this isn't an issue but for me it was. YMMV.

hashelocmaccabee
12-08-2011, 12:57 PM
I once have a Springfield XD9 that was ported. You are correct in that the porting does reduce the felt recoil. It was very smooth and easy on the hands. What I personally didn't care for, and which caused me to sell the gun, was the fact that the report and energy shock wave was excessive and distracting. I couldn't concentrate on shooting knowing that I'm going to get slapped in the face with muzzle blast. For some this isn't an issue but for me it was. YMMV.

I can't tell you if the Taurus is any louder than a similar non-ported revolver. The barrel is short and it is a revolver so it's loud. My little 22 mag is extremely loud with a 1.125" barrel. I haven't noticed any energy shock wave from the Taurus. Did your XD9 have angled ports or something?