PDA

View Full Version : Does any MI. law require law enforcement notification prior to shooting full auto?

trapdoorman
12-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Fortunately, the gun club I belong to allows members to use legal full auto sub-guns. We are, however, required to notify the Allegan County Sheriff when we will be shooting.

Has anyone ever heard of this being a requirement under Michigan Law or does it sound like an inconvenient policy that the gun club has adopted?

M11A1
12-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Yes, sounds like there making you jump through unnecessary hoops. We've never had any issue with taking a few MGs out to the pit and dump a few hundred round in a few seconds...lol

rickettsj
12-01-2011, 10:57 PM
they might just notify them as a courtesy...cause there are a LOT of people out there that swear full auto is illegal. so before the calls start to pour in, they can screen the calls without having to dispatch a car/officer for investigation..just my thought

GarrettJ
12-01-2011, 10:57 PM
It's a club policy at SKSC. I've been told it was a requirement for their land use permit. If that is the case and one were to push it, the state preemption law might overrule it.

Speaking of hoops though, I'm told you need permission from the club BOD to shoot full auto there as well. I looked into it at one time and decided I didn't want to bother.

Or you could join the Chick-Owa club in Zealand, which is half an hour from SKSC. When I asked, I was told I could shoot anything that was legal. The range isn't as large or as nice as SKSC, but membership costs less per year, I've never seen it crowded, and I've never had any issues shooting my machine guns there. It helps that I get to shoot them quietly now.

dhrith
12-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Imagine that, gun fire around a gun club.

HemiChallenger
12-02-2011, 02:39 AM
Be happy you can still shoot full auto at that club. My club used to alllow full auto guns but some members and police renting the range ruined that for us.

1-504 PIR
12-02-2011, 07:12 AM
Not true. You don't have to contact the club BOD before shooting full auto.

However it is a club rule to notify Allegan County Sheriff Dept.

GarrettJ
12-02-2011, 08:17 AM
Not true. You don't have to contact the club BOD before shooting full auto.
I was told "written permission" from the BOD when I checked into it 4 or 5 years ago.

ColonelKurtz
12-02-2011, 09:12 AM
but some members and police renting the range ruined that for us.
How's that? Fudds complainin'? Full auto tear up the backstop too much? Just wondering.

AMX
12-03-2011, 09:32 AM
I was told "written permission" from the BOD when I checked into it 4 or 5 years ago.

It was probably me that told you that. For a while, SKSC was not sure what policy to adopt for full auto. A church group from another state had showed up on a holiday weekend and went full auto all day non stop. A few locals (and a few fudd members) freaked out so they put up a sign saying "no full auto until further notice", or something to that effect.

I got written permission to shoot during that time. You don't need to do that anymore. I think the "shotgun crowd" has come to accept the MG's now. I doubt they like us but they don't seem to be out to get us.

Anyway, I don't think it's a big deal about calling Allegan County before I shoot. Just dial the non emergency line (269) 673-3899 and say you're about to shoot a MG at SKSC. They'll ask your name, how long you plan to be there (just say all day), your cell phone number and sometimes they want to know the address of the club. I've never had them show up and mess with me or even call me back. I call them before I shoot at home too.

HemiChallenger
12-04-2011, 01:27 PM
How's that? Fudds complainin'? Full auto tear up the backstop too much? Just wondering.

The neighbors bitching because the cops were out there at midnight with M-16's and 2,000 rounds to shoot. They had a key like every member does and figured it'd be a good idea to shoot at night.

ColonelKurtz
12-05-2011, 10:29 AM
at midnight with M-16's and 2,000 rounds to shoot.
Yeah, that's pretty bad :freak: Maybe they did it on purpose :upto:

jmacken37
12-07-2011, 10:47 PM
It's their range and they can impose whatever rules they feel are appropriate. LE are required to respond. Kinda dumb but the truth. I've learned to just call dispatch in the jurisdiction where I'll be shooting FA.

Jake