PDA

View Full Version : SB 0863 P.I. emplyees waiver

Tallbear
12-02-2011, 10:38 AM
SB 0863 of 2011 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2011-SB-0863)
Weapons; licensing; waiver for certain individuals to carry weapon in weapon-free zones; expand to include employees of licensed private investigators. Amends sec. 5o of 1927 (MCL 28.425o).
Last Action: 12/1/2011 REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON JUDICIARY

Tallbear
12-02-2011, 10:39 AM
More "special class" exceptions to the law.

Heavy Guns
12-03-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm kind of torn because I'm in the special class but I'd rather see PFZs eliminated.

Cackler
12-03-2011, 11:36 AM
More "special class" exceptions to the law.

Let them do it. The more special classes that are created, the easier it will be to drive home the point that PFZ's should be eliminated for ALL CPL holders.

Unistat76
12-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Let them do it. The more special classes that are created, the easier it will be to drive home the point that PFZ's should be eliminated for ALL CPL holders.
I tend to agree with this. Incremental progress until the tipping point is reached, then total revolution.

AMSProcessing
12-06-2011, 03:07 AM
Although I noticed that employees would only be able to carry in prohibited places "WHILE PERFORMING HIS OR HER OFFICIAL DUTIES AS AN EMPLOYEE OF THAT PERSON."

It's like they're saying "Ok, we'll let your employees carry, but only when directly working for you, that's the only time they're trustworthy enough to do so."

Quaamik
12-09-2011, 10:57 PM
I tend to agree with this. Incremental progress until the tipping point is reached, then total revolution.

I'd love to believe this, but I think it will more likely undermine repealing the PFZs. The more "special classes" we allow, the more likely the general public is to say: "Why do you need to carry there if you're not in one of those "special classes".

Remember, the general public doesn't understand why we carry to begin with.........

Tallbear
01-27-2012, 05:50 PM
NOTICE OF SCHEDULED MEETING

COMMITTEE: Judiciary

DATE: Tuesday, January 31, 2012

TIME: 2:30 PM

PLACE: Room 110, Farnum Building, 125 W. Allegan Street, Lansing, MI 48933

PHONE: Lauren Michalak (373-5323), Committee Clerk

AGENDA

For Testimony Only:

SB 863 Sen. Hildenbrand Weapons; licensing; waiver for certain individuals to carry weapon in weapon-free zones; expand to include employees of licensed private investigators.

And any other business properly before the committee.

TheQ
02-01-2012, 11:00 AM
This is an official statement of Michigan Open Carry, Inc.

Michigan Open Carry, Inc. was made aware that SB 863 will be coming before the Senate Judiciary Committee for a vote next week. SB 863 is a bill that would allow Employees of Private Investigators to be exempted from "Concealed Free Zones" under MCL 28.425(o).

While it is true that this bill increases firearms rights, it does so only for a select few "special" people.

Michigan Open Carry, Inc. plans to oppose this bill and push for the consideration of SB 58 instead. As many of you may be aware, SB 58 eliminates "Concealed Free Zones" for ALL CPL holders. We believe another special class is NOT what Lawful Michigan Gun owners need. In the coming days we will be asking you to place phone calls to three committee members. I hope you will continue to watch this thread, stay informed, and help us take needed action.

Text of SB 863

http://legislature.mi.gov/documents/2011-2012/billintroduced/Senate/htm/2011-SIB-0863.htm

Text of SB 58

http://legislature.mi.gov/documents/2011-2012/billintroduced/Senate/htm/2011-SIB-0058.htm

Originally posted at:
MOC's Forum (http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,1568.msg11596.html#msg11596)
MOC's Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/notes/michigan-open-carry-inc/sb-863-a-slap-in-the-face-to-lawful-gun-owners/10150540993921234)

TheQ
02-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Please join us!

SB 863 is not the way to eliminate Concealed Gun Free Zones
Dear Friend of Michigan Open Carry, Inc.:

This morning it came to our attention that SB 863 will be voted on in the Senate Judiciary Committee next week. SB 863 (Introduced December of 2011) is a Michigan Legislative Bill that would exempt employees of Licensed Private Investigators who have a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) from “Concealed Gun Free Zones”.

On the surface, this may seem like a good bill. However, there is another bill (SB 58 – Introduced January 2011) that is sitting in front of the same legislative committee. SB 58 eliminates all “Concealed Gun Free Zones” for every person that has a valid CPL. It appears the committee chair has no intentions on acting on SB 58 despite being eager to create another “special exempt class” by voting on SB 863. Because SB 58 increases freedom for every person with a CPL, rather than an elite few, Michigan Open Carry, Inc. is opposing SB 863 and asking the committee chair to instead vote on SB 58.

Here's where you come in.

During business hours (8 AM-5 PM), if possible, we'd like you to place a phone call to the three members of the Senate Judiciary Committee and pass on a message to them: Either every CPL holder gets more freedom or nobody does.

Committee Members:

Sen. Rick Jones (Chairman) (Grand Ledge)
(517) 373-3447

Sen. Tonya Schuitmaker (Kalamazoo Co. plus Paw Paw Twp and Antwerp Twp)
(517) 373-0793

Sen. Tory Rocca (Clinton Twp., Roseville, Sterling Heights, Utica)
(517) 373-7315

Tell them you would like them to vote against SB 863 and instead insist that SB 58 be brought to vote and passed.

If you're a bit lost for words you can say this:

(Person Answers the phone)

You: Hi, I'd like to speak to the staffer who handles Judiciary Committee Matters (Wait to be transferred, ask to leave a Voice Mail if they are not available).

(After you are transferred)

You: I am calling at the request of Michigan Open Carry. I am asking the Senator to not support SB863, which will be heard in the Judiciary Committee next week. Enough is enough, no more laws that give special privileges to certain classes of citizens.

One of the founding principles of this great nation was that all people are equal and that the idea of special classes is contrary to liberty and freedom.

What the Senate should be concentrating on is SB58 which eliminates all gun free zones for all CPL holders. This bill has languished in committee since January 25th, 2011. It is time to stand up and fight for our right to bear arms recognized by both the Federal and State constitutions. Senate Bill 58 is legislation that all Michigan gun rights organizations can support.

Either we are all free or we are not. No more special privileges for certain classes of people.

If you cannot call all three committee members, it is crucial you at least call Senator Rick Jone's office as he is the committee chair.

forrest0872
02-01-2012, 10:29 PM
I will be making some phone calls tomorrow morning -

TheQ
02-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Discussion thread in the CC section (http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=164246)

TheQ
02-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Earlier today, I (Michigan Open Carry President) was in the Judiciary Committee Meeting where it was announced SB 863 will not be heard or voted on today. I found out this news myself about 45 minutes before the meeting while visiting one of the committee member's office.

Good work team!

45/70fan
02-08-2012, 06:23 AM

Contrary to what you may think, there are a lot of out here doing the work needed without tooting our horns.

Cackler
02-08-2012, 07:49 AM

What troops are you referring to? You slam people for their opinion and then expect them to crawl into bed with you? Get real.

BANNED
02-08-2012, 11:11 AM
What troops are you referring to? You slam people for their opinion and then expect them to crawl into bed with you? Get real.

I don't crawl into bed with you OC haters. You can wallow between the sheets with yourselves in your self righteous indignation. You hate MOC and the whole OC bunch. Why hide or deny it?

BANNED
02-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Contrary to what you may think, there are a lot of out here doing the work needed without tooting our horns.

And your efforts are not unrecognized. There is however a quite vocal group that likes to hate MOC and OC in general.

They don't recognize that OCers are not Fudds that only believe in their method of carry.

Thanks for your help.