PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry a Suppressed Weapon?

HoldHard
12-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Are there any Michigan or Federal laws on the books that do NOT allow concealed carry of a suppressed weapon?

Yeah, unless it's a .22LR then it's not going to be easy... or convenient.... or even comfortable. How about drawing it from a vertical shoulder holster? Are there even products out there for this type of setup?

HH

rjrivero
12-06-2011, 12:57 PM
I can't find any holsters for suppressed pistols. If you find one, please share. There is a flap type case from ?battlecloth that is built for a pistol with suppressor mounted. I have only seen the 22 version. In no way is it a concealed carry rig.

reyno2ac
12-06-2011, 01:06 PM
I saw a chest type rig on NCIS once. It only worked under a jacket...and it was of course a tv show.

ColonelKurtz
12-06-2011, 01:15 PM
are you an assassin?

the first law broken by concealed carrying a suppressed pistol is common sense... barring of course if you're at a gun club or private property & doing recreational shooting... my statement was based on an assumption of carrying for self defense / EDC and if so I stand by my statement

HK USP
12-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Not so much law but common sense, suppressors add so much bulk to your firearm as to make it difficult to conceal, difficult to draw quickly and effectively, and would not give you any realistic advantage like a tactical light / laser would.
The name of the game is to be safe, protect yourself, loved ones, and to survive a BG encounter. In my humble opinion you could carry your silencer in an accessory pouch, but you would never have the time to safely attach in a SHTF scenario.
At most if you are on the ball you could have a 3-5 second heads up, wasting time attaching your silencer would be dangerous, (to you) and wasteful (again to you) when those precious seconds could be better spent getting to a safe position, place, running (yes distance is your friend) or getting to cover.
So unless your are clearing a building (best left to the professionals) there is no realistic value to having your CC gun silenced.

Gloofy
12-06-2011, 06:28 PM
What if you have an integrally suppressed pistol? :gavel:

gwc1975
12-06-2011, 06:57 PM
are you an assassin?

the first law broken by concealed carrying a suppressed pistol is common sense... barring of course if you're at a gun club or private property & doing recreational shooting... my statement was based on an assumption of carrying for self defense / EDC and if so I stand by my statement

What's wrong with being an assassin? There is good money in it!

Zane
12-06-2011, 07:03 PM
the first law broken by concealed carrying a suppressed pistol is common sense...

Why? A self defense situation is the exact time when I am least likely to have proper hearing protection and most need my hearing. I don't think I should have to trade life long hearing impairment to save my life.

are you an assassin?

This is the same line of reasoning that antis use to attack "Assault rifles," "assault clips," pistol grips, sniper rifles and other "evil looking guns."

GarrettJ
12-06-2011, 07:19 PM
the first law broken by concealed carrying a suppressed pistol is common sense...
Yeah - because wanting to protect your hearing is a pretty stupid idea, right?

I've carried a small suppressed .22 when hiking. It's there if I need it, and I can shoot it in the woods (when hiking where it's legal to target shoot) without "scaring" anybody that might be nearby. It works well enough when using a holster made for a longer-barreled pistol.

I can't find any holsters for suppressed pistols. If you find one, please share.
Try this plus a trench coat. :lol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/GarrettJ/100_0304a-1.jpg

rjrivero
12-06-2011, 10:01 PM
I'm not sure what happened here. Dupe post. Sorry

rjrivero
12-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Garrett, Is that a ghost holster?

GarrettJ
12-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Garrett, Is that a ghost holster?
That one's a Hogue Powerspeed. It holds the slide with magnets, as well as having a trigger-guard lock.

In the past I've used both the Ghost and the Limcat. Either of those would work well with a silencer, and I think there are a couple others out there now too.

Actually, both of those others mentioned would work better. The can bumps against the bottom of the holster frame when drawing on the Hogue. It does it as well with the longer G34 too. You can draw either gun from it, but it just takes a slightly modified technique.

jmilch
12-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Wouldn't this be considered pre meditated?

JohnS624
12-06-2011, 11:28 PM
Wouldn't this be considered pre meditated?
Premeditated what?

jmilch
12-07-2011, 02:02 AM
Premeditated what?

I guess I was trying to say it would be hard to defend in court, the use of a supressor during a SD situation.

mikee1973
12-07-2011, 07:32 AM
High stress defensive shoot, i am hoping that auditory exclusion will kick in.

Internally suppressed pistol... call Sons of Guns to see if they can make you one lol

GarrettJ
12-07-2011, 07:36 AM
I guess I was trying to say it would be hard to defend in court, the use of a supressor during a SD situation.
So carrying a gun is okay, but bringing along hearing protection makes it pre-meditated?

"Yes your Honor - I planned in advance to not blow out my and my family's eardrums in the event I had to defend myself."

Joeywhat
12-07-2011, 07:47 AM
This thread is proof gun owners are our own worst enemy...

Dsully
12-07-2011, 07:51 AM
Where did my post go

Dsully
12-07-2011, 07:51 AM
Hit twice

GarrettJ
12-07-2011, 07:55 AM
High stress defensive shoot, i am hoping that auditory exclusion will kick in.
Just because you don't notice the noise does not mean damage is not occurring.

Dsully
12-07-2011, 08:48 AM
I don't know where my original post went but I was saying that if you are so worried about ear protection, why not just get some electronic ear buds? I mean, if you are going to spend the cash on a suppressor, then the ear buds shouldn't be a problem plus now you will be protected with all your carry guns plus non carry. I have no problem with this whole thread but I just don't see any good from it. My opinion

HoldHard
12-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Wow.... this sure went down hill fast....

HH

jmilch
12-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Wow.... this sure went down hill fast....

HH

I suppose if the intent was supressed sound, and was stated in the first post, it wouldnt have dive bombed like it did, just a guess.

jeepinrrt
12-07-2011, 04:46 PM
I suppose if the intent was supressed sound, and was stated in the first post, it wouldnt have dive bombed like it did, just a guess.

What do you think the purpose of a suppressor is?

dhrith
12-07-2011, 08:59 PM
This thread is proof gun owners are our own worst enemy...

That or our own best comedic relief. lol

kevins_garage
12-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Just get these. They have them with bluetooth now so you can make/take calls while wearing them...

http://www.plantronics.com/images/catalog/product_fullsize/shr2083.jpg

Griffin Armament
12-09-2011, 11:05 AM
You would probably find it easier to pack something like a Keltech PMR30 .22WMR (reducing noise a bit over something like a 9mm pistol) and use that for self defense.

That would keep the package small. Also you may be able to add a device like a small threaded tube .6" longer than the muzzle in an attempt to direct noise away from the shooter, this helps a bit.

In the event you need to use it (very unlikely) your ears shouldn't suffer much damage from one use of the pistol.

The 9mm and other calibers are very loud so all bets are off. Some officers have lost a lot of hearing in one use of their service 9mm's.