PDA

View Full Version : RUGER SR9

Sargas3
12-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Ruger SR9, Bought at Mount Clements gun and knife show, Mi, cost was trade for other guns.

I am a big Glock fan and currently own 3 of them. So when I picked up this gun in trade I had some reservations. However the familiar trigger pull that appears to be modeled after the Glock made me give it a shot. To me the trigger actually feels a little lighter and smoother. I have heard that the first version of thos gun had a bad trigger that was replaced this once feels great. It has a nice feel in your hands due to a slightly thinner handle and the rubber back of the handle. It is reversible if you want to make it thinner. It came with two 17 round mags.

I put 75 rounds through the gun with out a hitch. I went with my friend who bought a new Glock 17 and it was his first day shooting as well. His gun of course was also perfect through 75 rounds.

Out of the box the gun operated perfectly and I was very impressed with how accurate it is. Really the only complaint I have is its a bit difficult to load the mags. Maybe I need practice. The gun comes with some great features like the ambidextrous safety and the mag release is easy for me to reach without turning the gun. I also love the little indicator on the top of the gun to show if there is a round in the chamber or not. It also has adjustable rear sites. I didn't adjust them because it was right on out the box.

So final thoughts. The SR9 seems to be very well built and functions better than expected. When placed right next to the Glock 17 it to me has a little edge in looks. Maybe just because its different than all my Glocks. I shot as well or better with the new SR9 than the new Glock 17 but there may be a lot of factors there including both guns have not been broken in. I'm very happy with it and cant wait to put a few hundred rounds through it to see if it holds up as well as my favorite guns. I at this point would not say buy this gun over a Glock but I would say its worth a look and you should compare it if you are in a market for a new 9mm. The price is nice, the features are great, and at this point I have nothing but praise for it.

Sargas3
12-12-2011, 12:13 AM
I forgot to mention that I also rented a few 9mm before I bought the sr9. Including the Sig 226 and the springfield XD. Both guns worked well I liked the feel of the Sig a little better than the springfield and about the same as the Ruger. The price at this point is the edge between the Sig and Ruger for me. And the veing familer with the triger in the Ruger made it a good fit as well.

badmax18
12-12-2011, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the review. Been debating picking one up for a while. Have shot the SR40 as well as the SR9 and really liked it. For the price, tough to beat.

Sargas3
12-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Happy too! I'm glad I didnt pass over it so felt I should share.

diesel3500
12-18-2011, 12:22 PM
I too am a big glock fan. A friend picked up an sr9 and I had my reservations, but after firing the gun I have become a huge fan. For the price it is a very good gun. I had to get one. I have put about 300rounds through it without a problem. I wont say its the best thing out there but it is a great gun.

chadillac
01-14-2012, 08:08 PM
One of my shooting buddies has an SRc9 and really likes it. I actually shoot it just about as good as my Glock 19 but I just can't fall in love with Ruger handguns. Something about them feels inferior to the other major players in the handgun world.

The trigger is actually great, it feels like it falls off a cliff at 90 degrees. Good gun but just shooting it good doesn't mean I will buy into the system. It's cool to shoot once in a while.

RoadRunner71
01-17-2012, 09:30 AM
I had an earlier model SR9. The trigger was not horrible, but I felt it was not really a good carry gun. It is largish and with a so so trigger it wasn't worth the effort.

Now the SR9c with the improved trigger might be a different matter all together.

Glad you like yours, though.

SlowDog
01-17-2012, 11:14 AM
A close friend and his wife both have the Rugers. His the SR9 & hers the SR9c. I've shot both and they were nice. I have big paws so the SR9c was a little small for me but the full size fit my hand very well. They were both accurate POA and the triggers were better then I would have expected.

jmanz6
01-17-2012, 11:18 AM
The SR9c is my EDC. After trying a lot of different 9mm's I tried the Ruger and absolutely loved it. The SR9 was supposed to get the SR9c trigger to solve the issues with the first generation guns. My SR9c has well over 1500 rounds thru it with zero issues. The newer SR9's should be just as reliable.

Wolvee
01-17-2012, 11:25 AM
I had an SR9 that I put 8k rounds through it before I cleaned and sold it. It was a great pistol. I sold it because Ruger came out with the current trigger but refused to tell anyone it was different. I was pretty pissed since I had already waited till they had their recalls and changed their triggers the first time. When I learned of the trigger change I called Ruger and they straight denied it and lied to me. Meanwhile the trigger and the mag release were both redesigned. That said it was still a great pistol.

My wife carries an SR9c and loves it. I think it's just as good as a G26 and better in some ways.

trappert83
06-13-2012, 12:39 PM
I own a sr9c, mini14, 10/22, Never any malfuntions with any of them. Cant say that about my rra, and lr308

Wolvee
06-13-2012, 12:44 PM
It's not January any more trapper. :idea: ;-)

sr9cguy
06-20-2012, 08:23 AM
I have about 2000 rounds through my sr9c and have never once had a problem of any sort. love this gun best bang for buck out there!!! Like it more them my xd subcompact lol

Joel216
03-24-2013, 09:19 AM
After about 400 rounds in my 9C it started having frequent light strikes. I sent it back to Ruger and they replaced the striker assembly. So far it works flawlessly. +1 for Ruger Customer Service.

ruger69
03-26-2013, 11:08 AM
its hard to beat a ruger, they make great guns for the price

i had 4 sr9's over the years

my cc is a sr9c ......hard to beat, especially for 399.99 brand new

king2517
03-29-2013, 12:36 PM
over 10,000 rds out of my SR9C It's still tight to the frame it's a great gun from a good company that stands behind the product

tjmower
04-08-2013, 09:11 AM
its hard to beat a ruger, they make great guns for the price

i had 4 sr9's over the years

my cc is a sr9c ......hard to beat, especially for 399.99 brand new

Good luck trying to find one at that price now. Trust me, I've been looking.

On a positive note, I'm glad to hear all these reviews. I'm planning on making this my next purchase. A friend has the sr40c and I like that gun as well, feels really good in my hand. I just don't care for 40 cal guns.

Gunz
04-09-2013, 03:20 PM
Good luck trying to find one at that price now. Trust me, I've been looking.

On a positive note, I'm glad to hear all these reviews. I'm planning on making this my next purchase. A friend has the sr40c and I like that gun as well, feels really good in my hand. I just don't care for 40 cal guns.

+1. Picked mine up for $450 @cabela's, but I found the same price at a gun and knife show; cold water creek pawn.

tjmower
04-09-2013, 04:47 PM
+1. Picked mine up for $450 @cabela's, but I found the same price at a gun and knife show; cold water creek pawn.

When did you get yours? They had them a couple weeks ago, but when i went back last week they were out. Should have grabbed it when I saw it. Sad thing is, before Christmas I could have bought one for $415 before the craziness started.

Gunz
04-10-2013, 08:37 AM
When did you get yours? They had them a couple weeks ago, but when i went back last week they were out. Should have grabbed it when I saw it. Sad thing is, before Christmas I could have bought one for $415 before the craziness started.

I was one of crazies that was at the opening of cabela's in grandview. I got it there along with a couple of items I was looking for, like ammo and an HD shotgun. I figured I'd get in the melee as partpig trying to find some hard to find items. I'm glad I did as it wasn't too bad if you had a plan.:thumbup: