PDA

View Full Version : Mosin Nagant go/no go gages

Professorwiz
12-11-2011, 10:23 AM
I'd like to get my Mosin checked out before firing it. I just purchased it a week or so ago from Gander Mountain. I've read there were gages to be purchased for this, does anyone around here have a rental program for these, or perhaps the exact blueprint dimensions of these? I am a machinist with grinding experiance and could make my own if I knew the dimensions.

trigger
12-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Read the 3rd post http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-21058.html

Professorwiz
12-11-2011, 09:01 PM
It would seem somewhere someone would have the blueprint. The info you gave me on that site is good. I'm sure it's a fairly steep angle.

shifty_85
12-12-2011, 11:25 AM
is there any reason you want to get it checked in this much and detailed? i know safety is a big concer with a gun that is over 70 years old.

but i just took all the cosmilne off my gun. and cleaned the action and the barrel both ALOT to the point i felt it was not geting any cleaner.

i checked the fireing pin pertrution with the gauge it checked out. so i went and got some rounds for it.

if you want i can give it a good over look and clean everything up for you and feild strip your bolt.

Professorwiz
12-12-2011, 12:11 PM
The safety factor was/is my main concern. I just didn't want it to go boom in my face and/or injure someone else. It's one thing to take a chance and injure yourself, I'd hate to hit someone else with pieces.

I've taken the bolt apart and cleaned it, and am going to clean the rest up. I'd welcome any tips on it, so I will operate it safely.

Where do you go to shoot?

Russ

shifty_85
12-12-2011, 02:21 PM
i shoot at island lake. 7 bucks all day at the range and you can shoot the cheap milltary surplus rounds there too.

as far as checks as i said just clean the bore till your happy. and the bolt use the bolt gauge to check how far out the bolt its going. its very easy to do just turn the bolt in your hand like your taking it apart and use the gauge. it has to be more that 75 but less then 95 ill take a video in a few of me checking it.

but thats all i really did put well over 2,000 rounds of miltary surplus threw it just make sure with the surplus just make sure you clean it ASAP after i have a .30 cal bore snake and some rem bore brite. before that i use hot soapy water or windex it takes the salts out of the bore from the surplus rounds and will save your gun.

but thats about all i do. and mine will hit 3" clays from 100 yards at will with mine. not bad for a 74 year old gun shooting surplus rounds.

im in farmington hills so if ya need any help or have questions bring your rifle on over

joelansing
12-13-2011, 07:00 PM
I've never heard of a bolt gauge. I've cleaned 5 cosmo guns. The first two were work. I decided it wasn't worth my time and quit being cheap. I bought 4-5 gallons of mineral spirits and dumped it in a tall 5 gallon bucket with a lid. Toss parts in bucket. Stick one end of stock parts in bucket. A couple hours later take out parts and put the other end of stock parts in juice if needed. 1-2 hours later take out all parts and put lid back on bucket. The junk just wipes away. Sometimes I'll use a brush or a green "scotch brite" pad on the stock if needed. Don't do this to the stock/wood parts unless you want to refinish them later with Min-wax or something. I clean the bore and half of them usually get shiny. Those that didn't get shiny usually will look a lot better after you shoot them a bit and clean them again. I've done the above with 4 SKS's and a 91/30 Moisin Nagant. I think only one ended up with a couple dark spots in the bore. I haven't had any problems, but now you almost got me worried..:) The first shot is always a load one in chamber, not near anyone else, avert eyes and keep my face way back from the breech. I haven't had any problems yet but I imagine there are some turkey rifles out there. The dumbest thing I tried was (read on internet) smear some kinda crap on the stock and bake in oven to remove finish. Stunk up my house, and probably had a lot of explosive fumes in my gas oven, and it didn't work. Mineral spirits FTW! :)
- Joe

Professorwiz
12-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Will Do that!
It'll probably have to wait till after Christmas, probably closer to spring, imagine kids wanting presents and all. Is Island lake open in the winter? I saw the military surplus rounds and I'll probably buy a case of those.
Good to know that no one (on here anyways) seems to have had a problem with the Mosins. I'm just extra cautious by nature.

Russ

i shoot at island lake. 7 bucks all day at the range and you can shoot the cheap milltary surplus rounds there too.

as far as checks as i said just clean the bore till your happy. and the bolt use the bolt gauge to check how far out the bolt its going. its very easy to do just turn the bolt in your hand like your taking it apart and use the gauge. it has to be more that 75 but less then 95 ill take a video in a few of me checking it.

but thats all i really did put well over 2,000 rounds of miltary surplus threw it just make sure with the surplus just make sure you clean it ASAP after i have a .30 cal bore snake and some rem bore brite. before that i use hot soapy water or windex it takes the salts out of the bore from the surplus rounds and will save your gun.

but thats about all i do. and mine will hit 3" clays from 100 yards at will with mine. not bad for a 74 year old gun shooting surplus rounds.

im in farmington hills so if ya need any help or have questions bring your rifle on over

TRoebs00
12-13-2011, 09:17 PM
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/4898

Field gauge is only $22. Might not be worth your time to make your own.

shifty_85
12-16-2011, 01:53 AM
sorry i havnt posted a vid of it ill do it right now before i forget. with the firing pin. and the part that comes with it.

yeah ive never read of any mosin nagants blowing up on people. im sure its happend but i havnt read any. they are built pretty strong i mean come on its the AK's grandfather this was the workhorse of USSR from 1891 till 1960 they stoped making them my brother is in the army in afganastan and says the afgani's have .303 enfeilds and even mosin nagants....

shifty_85
01-01-2012, 01:21 PM
just made the vid i had forgot since MGO was down. the vid is just me checking firing pin pertution

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w196/shifty_85/th_DSCN0013.jpg (http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w196/shifty_85/?action=view&current=DSCN0013.mp4)

here is a picture of the tool.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w196/shifty_85/DSCN0014.jpg

it should touch the 75 one on the left and not touch the 95 on the right.

thats the only checking i did for my mosin before firing