PDA

View Full Version : On what date am I allowed back in the field with rifle ?

westcliffe01
12-12-2011, 06:01 PM
OK, so "firearm" deer season is over and "muzzleloader" season will be over Dec 15. From what I have heard, that is not the end of deer season and there could be a late bow season ? I am in the "shotgun zone" just for reference.

When am I allowed back in the field with my 223 bolt gun ? I have tried to figure it out myself and I think it is Dec 16, but would like to know if that is a commonly held belief.

I have a small game license and the purpose is Coyote hunting in daylight hours.

Thanks all..

I found this:
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10366_37141_37706-31578--,00.html
Firearm, Crossbow and Bow and Arrow Rules

Centerfire or rimfire rifles may be used Dec. 1-Nov. 9 in the Shotgun Zone during the open season for all species except no rifles may be used for deer, turkeys and migratory game birds. See Nighttime Raccoon and Predator Hunting restrictions.

Then there is this: (further down on the same page)

All Firearm Deer Seasons - Shotgun Zone
In the shotgun zone, all hunters afield from Nov. 15-30, and all deer hunters in this zone during other deer seasons, must abide by the following firearm restrictions or use a crossbow or bow and arrow. Legal firearms are as follows:

A shotgun may have a smooth or rifled barrel and may be of any gauge.
A muzzleloading rifle or black powder handgun must be loaded with black powder or a commercially manufactured black powder substitute.
A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multiple-shot but cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine combined.

During the firearm deer seasons, a firearm deer hunter may carry afield a bow and arrow, crossbow and firearm. Exceptions:

See Muzzleloading Deer Seasons above for restrictions during this season.
From Nov. 15-30, a .22 caliber or smaller rimfire rifle or handgun may be used to kill a raccoon while hunting raccoons with dogs between the hours of 7 p.m. and 6 a.m.
A .22 caliber or smaller rimfire may be used to dispatch coyote, fox, raccoon, bobcat and badger from Nov. 15-30 in the Shotgun Zone provided the firearm is loaded at the point of kill only.

TomE
12-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Monday Dec 19 on private land for baldys you cane use a riffle or hi cap pisstol in riffle zoone

TomE
12-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Monday Dec 19 on selectable privates land for baldys you cane use a riffle or hi cap pisstol in riffle zoone 1 oar 2,some seletable privates lands in zones 3 are open fors late baldy also

Its all bees on pages 08 of the huntings and fishings guides of the year 2011-2012

Its also be saying to look at the baldy hunting digest

SlowDog
12-12-2011, 07:58 PM
I've been in the woods several times since Nov 15'th with my rifle. It's legal as long as your not hunting deer.:thumbup: :thumbup:

fr3db3ar
12-12-2011, 08:11 PM
You can hunt coyote in the shotgun zone with a centerfire rifle as soon as the gun deer season is over......and up to a week before it starts. IE: before Nov 5 I think and definitely after Nov 30.

Howard000003
12-12-2011, 10:51 PM
I stand corrected.

westcliffe01
12-12-2011, 11:07 PM
The first line in the quoted section clearly indicates that Nov 10 to Nov 30 is off limits to any kind of hunting with rifles in zone 3 with some very narrow exclusions which does not include coyote hunting. I believe in zone 1 and 2 there is no such restriction since rifle are permitted for deer in the first place.

OK, Dec 1 is better than Dec 16, so I will take that.. At least we don't need tags for coyotes... What a hassle.

SlowDog
12-12-2011, 11:49 PM
(sarcasm on) Just remember these words. " I am hunting feral hogs."

Howard000003
12-13-2011, 08:36 PM
The first line in the quoted section clearly indicates that Nov 10 to Nov 30 is off limits to any kind of hunting with rifles in zone 3 with some very narrow exclusions which does not include coyote hunting. I believe in zone 1 and 2 there is no such restriction since rifle are permitted for deer in the first place.

OK, Dec 1 is better than Dec 16, so I will take that.. At least we don't need tags for coyotes... What a hassle.

I completely misread that first line. I stand corrected. However, take at a look at the exception for 'yotes. http://www.michigan.gov/images/dnr/Nighttime_Raccoon_and_Predator_Hunting_table_36144 3_7.jpg

The above DNR document says no rifles for coyotes from Nov 15-30 (not the 10th).

westcliffe01
12-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Howard, night time hunting is already limited to rimfire rifle only and then even that is disallowed Nov 15-30. That first paragraph relates to centerfire rifles during daylight hours since they are permanently banned for night use.