PDA

View Full Version : 5.56 Suppressors

Tango125INF11b
12-13-2011, 09:10 PM
I know this question has probably been asked a billion times, however I would like a more updated idea of who has the more affordable suppressors around. Whether in MI or not.

forrest0872
12-13-2011, 09:15 PM
I ill have to add the ole "You get what you pay for." quote here.

there options to fit most budgets out there, though..........

Tango125INF11b
12-13-2011, 09:23 PM
I am sure there are people who will agree with you as well as argue with you. Do you know of any nice affordable ones, or no?

forrest0872
12-13-2011, 09:28 PM
We are stocking Gemtech and Surefire, but they aren't cheap, buy any means.

pgaplayerless
12-13-2011, 09:33 PM
http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=157458

on the "value" side

Tango125INF11b
12-13-2011, 09:46 PM
http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=157458

on the "value" side

Have you used them a lot yet? How good is the suppression?

pgaplayerless
12-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Have you used them a lot yet? How good is the suppression?
C1XmUNvW4BQ

GarrettJ
12-13-2011, 10:24 PM
I ill have to add the ole "You get what you pay for." quote here........
True. However with something supersonic like the 5.56, you get down so far and then the sonic crack makes further reduction practically undetectable. With the higher-end cans you are paying more for size and weight reduction, or features such as attachment methods (not that any of that's a bad thing).

There are a number of cans out there from smaller shops that won't break the bank and will give good performance, but are generally larger or heavier.

I've got a .223 can that will handle belt-fed full auto and could be used as a club when that runs out. Sound reduction is sufficient for supersonic .223 and I think I paid $400 + tax for it a few years ago.

jmacken37
12-13-2011, 10:34 PM
I've heard some 5.56 cans that are much noticeably better than others, though. I don't think it was coincidence that the pricier ones sounded better.

Jake

Tango125INF11b
12-14-2011, 01:41 AM
Jake, are you the same guy who had problems with Tigon? Why is he bad to do business with? I saw something about bad dealing with customers.

joelansing
12-16-2011, 07:37 PM
True. However with something supersonic like the 5.56, you get down so far and then the sonic crack makes further reduction practically undetectable Are you saying that the sonic crack makes the sound undetectable? Or the $$$$ spent an undetectable waste? So with a $300-$400 can would it sound like... a 22? I want one bad, but I almost think I'd have to put a can on a 22 sub sonic for it to have enough "coolness factor" to justify the money.
- Joe

pgaplayerless
12-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Are you saying that the sonic crack makes the sound undetectable? Or the $$$$ spent an undetectable waste? So with a $300-$400 can would it sound like... a 22? I want one bad, but I almost think I'd have to put a can on a 22 sub sonic for it to have enough "coolness factor" to justify the money.
- Joe

He's saying suppressor will not stop ammo from going supersonic so you will still get audible sound apart from the expanding gasses.

joelansing
12-16-2011, 07:42 PM
He's saying suppressor will not stop ammo from going supersonic so you will still get audible sound apart from the expanding gasses.

Yeah, now that I read his response again I understand. We haven't reached the movie fantasy level of sound suppression yet. :(
- Joe

GarrettJ
12-16-2011, 08:08 PM
Are you saying that the sonic crack makes the sound undetectable? Or the $$$$ spent an undetectable waste? So with a $300-$400 can would it sound like... a 22? I want one bad, but I almost think I'd have to put a can on a 22 sub sonic for it to have enough "coolness factor" to justify the money.
- Joe
It's just that at some point the "crack" from the supersonic bullet will be enough louder than the "bang" from the gun that the "bang" won't be noticeable over the "crack".

We haven't reached the movie fantasy level of sound suppression yet. :(
A subsonic .22LR from a bolt-action is pretty darned quiet.

Griffin Armament
12-17-2011, 02:59 PM
I've heard some 5.56 cans that are much noticeably better than others, though. I don't think it was coincidence that the pricier ones sounded better.

Jake

A lot of smaller companies don't have sound meters so there is no way to know where performance is. The Coastal might perform decently, but when their 5.56 can is 1.3" longer, .125" wider, and 9 ounces heavier, even the good sound performance would be under-performance to people who care about these characteristics.

$250 is an affordable suppressor, no doubt, but if you buy it and then decide you want a QD suppressor- or something lighter, something that doesn't come apart, or something that doesn't rust, you'll need to do it all over again. The resale value of the $250 can is probably $150 used, and you lose the $200 tax stamp, so the loss to upgrade is ~$300- nearly 3/4's of the total value.

I just picked up a KAC M4QD used (a $1200 can. It cost me $870 shipped). That was a good deal- I didn't pay tax because I'm a C2 manufacturer.

I'm going to use it for a comparison sound/flash/POI shift test in the summer of next year against our M4SD-II and then resell it, and I'll probably lose nothing on it.

That's the comparison of the low end to the high end product.

pgaplayerless
12-17-2011, 03:06 PM
A lot of smaller companies don't have sound meters so there is no way to know where performance is. The Coastal might perform decently, but when their 5.56 can is 1.3" longer, .125" wider, and 9 ounces heavier, even the good sound performance would be under-performance to people who care about these characteristics.

$250 is an affordable suppressor, no doubt, but if you buy it and then decide you want a QD suppressor- or something lighter, something that doesn't come apart, or something that doesn't rust, you'll need to do it all over again. The resale value of the $250 can is probably $150 used, and you lose the $200 tax stamp, so the loss to upgrade is ~$300- nearly 3/4's of the total value.

I just picked up a KAC M4QD used (a $1200 can. It cost me $870 shipped). That was a good deal- I didn't pay tax because I'm a C2 manufacturer.

I'm going to use it for a comparison sound/flash/POI shift test in the summer of next year against our M4SD-II and then resell it, and I'll probably lose nothing on it.

That's the comparison of the low end to the high end product.

Majority (+90%) of Form 4 people do not re-sell their cans......

GarrettJ
12-17-2011, 03:21 PM

That has more to do with your tax status than the can its self.

Griffin Armament
12-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Majority (+90%) of Form 4 people do not re-sell their cans......

Good point... so if you decide it's too heavy and keep it, that is then $450 you are out, before spending a dollar on the product that meets your objectives satisfactorily.

The $1200 KAC can is actually something like $900 to Army SF, but they still bought 45,000 of them at that price in 10 years of the GWOT, because it was worth $900 per unit to them. So it's not like the $900 is too much to spend for a quality item if you need one.

My last rifle purchase was a $2200 LMT MWS. I put a $1400 Leupold on it, I bolted $400 in sling mounts and iron sights to that. Why would I want to go cheap on my sound suppressor for my $4000 rifle?

pgaplayerless
12-17-2011, 03:29 PM
Good point... so if you decide it's too heavy and keep it, that is then $450 you are out, before spending a dollar on the product that meets your objectives satisfactorily.

The $1200 KAC can is actually something like $900 to Army SF, but they still bought 45,000 of them at that price in 10 years of the GWOT, because it was worth $900 per unit to them. So it's not like the $900 is too much to spend for a quality item if you need one.

My last rifle purchase was a $2200 LMT MWS. I put a $1400 Leupold on it, I bolted $400 in sling mounts and iron sights to that. Why would I want to go cheap on my sound suppressor for my $4000 rifle?

Well if you don't take weight under the consideration when you first buy it, it's your own damn fault.

At least you are only out of $450, instead of $1200 when you realize that this suppressor is too heavy for you too and you didn't care to think about it when you bought it....

How much you spend on your rifle and feel need to spend on a suppressor to match has no bearing on how much everybody else want to spend on a suppressor.

Griffin Armament
12-17-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm not trying to tell people what to spend on the suppressor- that's everyones personal decision to make based on their personal needs.

I'm a graduate of Army sniper school, a two tour veteran with three years now on the ground in Iraq. I work with firearms in Iraq where I'm typing this- weapons are the tools of my trade, both at home with Griffin Armament, and away. In the military I experienced a plethora of quality sound suppressors in the course of my everyday work. I know the product also because I work with suppressors when I'm at home.

We didn't use Tasco scopes or budget rifles as Army snipers, for the same reason the Army doesn't use Coastal suppressors. Professionals don't care about a low price- they need the superior product, because they live and die by the quality of their work and the dependability of their equipment.

I've made value minded products much like Coastal- but we're moving our focus toward a low to no compromise, high quality product at a reasonable price, because it's a better model in my humble opinion.

It is more difficult to make that type product- because it isa lot more expensive to build a superior quality product, and it takes years of R&D and groundwork to understand the nuances of the superior quality product.

pgaplayerless
12-17-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm not trying to tell people what to spend on the suppressor- that's everyones personal decision to make based on their personal needs.

I'm a graduate of Army sniper school, a two tour veteran with three years now on the ground in Iraq. I work with firearms in Iraq where I'm typing this- weapons are the tools of my trade, both at home with Griffin Armament, and away. In the military I experienced a plethora of quality sound suppressors in the course of my everyday work. I know the product also because I work with suppressors when I'm at home.

We didn't use Tasco scopes or budget rifles as Army snipers, for the same reason the Army doesn't use Coastal suppressors. Professionals don't care about a low price- they need the superior product, because they live and die by the quality of their work and the dependability of their equipment.

I've made value minded products much like Coastal- but we're moving our focus toward a low to no compromise, high quality product at a reasonable price, because it's a better model in my humble opinion.

It is more difficult to make that type product- because it isa lot more expensive to build a superior quality product, and it takes years of R&D and groundwork to understand the nuances of the superior quality product.

they also aren't the ones having to pay for them ;)

Griffin Armament
12-19-2011, 04:47 PM
That didn't stop my sniper section on a deployment from buying our own Larue SPR mounts and Leupold 1.5-5 M2MRT's with illumination- cost on that was over $1000 a man.

It's amazing what not wanting to die and wanting to have an edge on the enemy is worth to a soldier... Or really it's un-amazing. All the money in your bank account is worth JACK **** if your dead and can't spend it.

I guess we're lucky we don't live in some third world country that sends our soldiers into a gunfight with cheap equipment.

joelansing
12-19-2011, 08:00 PM
I guess we're lucky we don't live in some third world country that sends our soldiers into a gunfight with cheap equipment.
I wish we lived in a country that didn't send our soldiers all over the place where they get shot at, and are forced to kill others. Oh well, we have what we voted for. I'm glad we do have good equipment. I wish we took as good of care of our soldiers after they get back, as we do when they are over there. I had a friend that would start yelling at night and flip his bed over and hide under it. You didn't want to get close to him when he was under his bed..:( Sorry, way off topic.
- Joe

CnA
12-19-2011, 09:55 PM
I wish we lived in a country that didn't send our soldiers all over the place where they get shot at, and are forced to kill others. Oh well, we have what we voted for. I'm glad we do have good equipment. I wish we took as good of care of our soldiers after they get back, as we do when they are over there. I had a friend that would start yelling at night and flip his bed over and hide under it. You didn't want to get close to him when he was under his bed..:( Sorry, way off topic.
- Joe
We live in a country and are blessed that people currently VOLUNTEER to serve our country. Our military exists to blow things up and kill people. If one doesn't want the possibility to get shot at or deal with the burden of taking a life, don't serve. It's really that simple.

We are also lucky compared to other tyrannical nations that we can also own firearms and NFA goodies. Go thank a veteran, especially one of the few WW2 vets remaining for fighting in defense of this and other inalienable rights.

Revdrshad
01-03-2012, 06:45 PM
We are also lucky compared to other tyrannical nations that we can also own firearms and NFA goodies. Go thank a veteran, especially one of the few WW2 vets remaining for fighting in defense of this and other inalienable rights.[/QUOTE]

+1

Also let's not forget the Vietnam Vets.. The only ones who were forgot about by the veterans before them...

Nicon_77
01-04-2012, 01:24 AM
comment was made about soldiers not having a choice. I was born military and would live to still be military. The fact is every one has the choice as long as there is no draft. Do you're research as you should do for any job. The government had always made people do the things they don't want to do. You rarely get a say. You're job is to always take orders.
I don't feel sorry for soldiers being there. It is what the job asks for. No I don't want to see people hurt for the wrong reasons, but I promise this. I'm sure as I breath there have been countless times the "Wright" reason were muddied and probably wasn't that Wright either.
Sorry about the rant. Love my country just not the political agenda.

Revdrshad
01-04-2012, 05:01 AM
I was a soldier during King Clinton's administration. It was a sad, sad time to be in the military. But, With that being said, I have numerous friends who enlisted after the 9-11 attacks. Patriots, Friends, and kids... Just hoping to be able to serve and protect freedoms we hold dear.
I understand the political problems this country is facing, but there's plenty of people still waiting to do their part...

Tango125INF11b
01-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Me being the thread starter, and a 6 yr veteran of the US Army and also a 13 month tour combat infantryman in Iraq, would like us to go back to the main subject or close the thread. I was curious about all of the inexpensive 5.56 suppressors out there and was also wondering if any of you had experience with the "cheaper models".

All BS aside, I agree we should thank WWII vets more often because they are in fact vanishing. I also agree that we should thank Vietnam war vets as well, no matter what your political belief is/was. Same with current veterans. Whether you believe in the war or not, support the people that are employed to defend you, or perhaps one day they will not.

Dansjeep2000
01-04-2012, 04:01 PM
I wanna see the $$$ tag on this bad boy.

http://www.silencerco.com/?section=Products&page=Saker

rjrivero
01-04-2012, 04:07 PM
I wanna see the $$$ tag on this bad boy.

http://www.silencerco.com/?section=Products&page=Saker
I currently have one of each of their current offerings. Love those cans. The Saker will be another I think I'm going to end up with.....probably.

I am interested in seeing what the price tag is on Huntertown Arms new rimfires are going to be. I may pick up one of their 30 cal suppressors for .308 and 300 BLACKOUT.

LINK HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=texEzvXnmdk).

Revdrshad
01-04-2012, 09:05 PM
I've been reading a lot of info on Silencertalk.com
It's loaded with videos, reviews, and youtube links.
I personally plan on going with a Yankee Hill Machine 7.62 for 5.56 suppression.
Keep us posted on what you decide please. :)

Tango125INF11b
01-05-2012, 05:18 PM
The owner from SilencedAmerica was trying to persuade me into the SWR Renegade, but they don't make them anymore. SWR was bought out by Silencerco I guess, so who would back the warranty that is supposed to come with my can if I bought it? I don't know. I was looking at the YHM Phantom but I was told it was comparable to the SWR and the SWR had a better mount.

Revdrshad
01-05-2012, 09:39 PM
I'll admit, my main reason for the YHM is the cost, and website simplicity. Plus they include your choice of quick detach mount in the purchase price. I don't shoot my AR enough to justify a silencer that is lightweight/pretty/wow factor.

YHM does make fantastic sights, flash suppresors, and IMHO their accessories and machining is top notch.

(I'm not a machine expert, this may draw fire about them)

Revdrshad
01-05-2012, 09:41 PM
As for dealers, I'm always reminded of the people that buy "What the dealer wants to sell them" Instead of what is usually best...

rjrivero
01-05-2012, 10:11 PM
The owner from SilencedAmerica was trying to persuade me into the SWR Renegade, but they don't make them anymore. SWR was bought out by Silencerco I guess, so who would back the warranty that is supposed to come with my can if I bought it? I don't know. I was looking at the YHM Phantom but I was told it was comparable to the SWR and the SWR had a better mount.
SWR is still backed by SWR as part of the Silencerco family. Silencerco/SWR will continue to back their products. (So I'm told.)

Tango125INF11b
01-30-2012, 01:13 PM
I am still shopping around. I talked to TWS-Mike the other day on the phone, and he suggested possibly using a 7.62 suppressor for 5.56 too. One thing I am conscious on however is cost. I am a college student who has to pay all of his college himself. My parents pay for nothing ( I come from an extremely poor background) so whatever I make at work usually goes towards bills and whatnot. I have about 500 saved up right now, so I am trying to figure out what I can do.

Tango125INF11b
01-31-2012, 02:57 PM
Any suggestions?

will.s
01-31-2012, 03:35 PM
We are stocking Gemtech and Surefire, but they aren't cheap, buy any means.

Hey brad, what's the price on the surefire MINI and the FA556 212? I hear their price structure changed. I see em around me for $1100 and $1200.

On another note, I was gunna go cheap. But thought better of it. In my opinion, if someone's looking for " hollywood" quiet. I'd get an Osprey 9 suppressor, and shoot 147 gr 9mm. .223 still kinda loud suppressed, with super sonic ammo. And if one was looking for sound suppression alone, I think you'd be a little disappointed with a .223 can. With standard ammo. My 2 cents

Tango125INF11b
01-31-2012, 03:37 PM
I used a KAC can in the military. I know how 5.56 sounds suppressed.

Tango125INF11b
01-31-2012, 03:38 PM
I will be using it for my 22lr conversion kit on my AR as well as 5.56

UpNorthWOLF
01-31-2012, 04:56 PM
Since everything is give and take, I went with an 8" from Hughes Precision. I am not an operator clearing a room...and I know I want as much noise reduction as I can get on my mid-length. Actually went to their factory in Indian River, Michigan to hear their suppressors. I'm looking forward to finally getting it (well them, I have three different suppressors coming for different calibers) in the spring (damn Form 4 process).

GarrettJ
01-31-2012, 05:41 PM
...I am a college student who has to pay all of his college himself...
Any suggestions?
Student loans & Pell Grants.

That's how I got my first MG & silencer. :thumbup:

Nothing better than government subsidized full-auto ownership. :uzi:

And to think, I nearly spent that left over $900 on a computer my senior year in college, instead of on a MAC10. What do you that computer would be worth now, over a decade later?

Tango125INF11b
01-31-2012, 07:42 PM
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeea. Did I mention I have a wife and child to think about with student loan debt? Full time employee, full time student, full time family man. Hence finding out the better buy for the money. If I was a single bachelor, I could justify it.

rjrivero
01-31-2012, 08:54 PM
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeea. Did I mention I have a wife and child to think about with student loan debt? Full time employee, full time student, full time family man. Hence finding out the better buy for the money. If I was a single bachelor, I could justify it.
Make friends with a machinist. Get a Form 1 sent in, study up on baffle designs on silencertalk.com and get ready to spin your own.

$200 tax plus $50 in material and you can make your own! (Or have your new machinist friend make one for you while you watch/help.)

will.s
01-31-2012, 08:56 PM
Huntertown arms comes to mind. They're farely new the suppressor world, and thier claim to fame are .22 suppressors at the moment. They're getting ready to launch their kestral 5.56 suppressor. Which has multi-mount attachment. They are amking adapater's for the 1/2X28, 24X1.5mm Ak-74 threads, and I beleive HK threads. All for a price tag of under $500. Not to much info on there sight about it yet, and no set price. Youtube has a bunch of video's with their suppressors and interviews with the owner.

Another that Comes to mind is a TAC-16, My dealer can get em for $425. It's a little long, and kinda of heavy. But the dealer claims to have 10,000+ through it on a 16" ar, and it going strong. Plus, the price is right.

I'm sure you've heard it enough times BUT..... I would save up even if it takes a year or two. And get a Surefire,AAC or any other top brand.

Tango125INF11b
01-31-2012, 09:31 PM
Make friends with a machinist. Get a Form 1 sent in, study up on baffle designs on silencertalk.com and get ready to spin your own.

$200 tax plus $50 in material and you can make your own! (Or have your new machinist friend make one for you while you watch/help.)

When I first got out of the Army I became a machinist by trade. It runs in the family. I come from a family of lathe operators and centerless grinders. That may be able to be arranged.

rjrivero
01-31-2012, 09:44 PM
When I first got out of the Army I became a machinist by trade. It runs in the family. I come from a family of lathe operators and centerless grinders. That may be able to be arranged.

Well, sir, you have NO choice but to make your own. I suggest for a .223 suppressor, a 60 Degree Cone baffle, or 60 Degree Step Cone be used. It's a fantastic baffle for high pressure rifle rounds.

I can pull up some threads for you, but I suggest you just enter this into google:

site:www.silencertalk.com baffles for .223 (http://www.google.com/#hl=en&site=&q=site:www.silencertalk.com+baffles+for+.223&oq=site:www.silencertalk.com+baffles+for+.223&aq=f&aqi=&aql=1&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=391l16656l0l16828l71l64l2l0l0l3l234l6905l28 .22.7l58l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=d2c48b6372c871b&biw=840&bih=1186)

And start READING!!

And I probably need to make friends with YOU! ;)

Tedfs
02-04-2012, 02:05 AM
I'd like to go the make my own route too but really don't have the equipment or friends to do it.

What 5.56 suppressors are quick detach and compatible with the A2/BC 2.0 compensator beside the HALO, M4-SD and M4-SD II ?
I'd rather go the QD route and keep the recoil management of the BC 2.0 than go with a screw on or proprietary attachment method.