PDA

View Full Version : H.B. 5226 Foster child allowed to hunt

Tallbear
12-15-2011, 09:13 AM
HB 5226 of 2011 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2011-HB-5226)
Children; foster care; criteria for eligibility in the mentored youth hunting program; clarify. Amends sec. 9 of 1935 PA 220 (MCL 400.209).
Last Action: 12/14/2011 referred to Committee on Families, Children, and Seniors

fr3db3ar
12-15-2011, 10:24 AM
IMO this is just another unnecessary law. Foster children should be considered the same as your own while officially under your care. "/

Tallbear
01-18-2012, 06:59 AM
HB 5226 of 2011 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2011-HB-5226)
Children; foster care; criteria for eligibility in the mentored youth hunting program; clarify. Amends sec. 9 of 1935 PA 220 (MCL 400.209).
Last Action: 1/17/2012 recommendation ( refer to Natural Resources, Tourism, and Outdoor Recreation (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28mdcxxdzvdtuy2hbhb3p0ayif%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=CommitteeBillRecordSearch&mySession=2011-2012&CommitteeName=Natural%20Resources,%20Tourism,%20an d%20Outdoor%20Recreation&chamber=house)) concurred in

AMSProcessing
01-23-2012, 02:41 PM
IMO this is just another unnecessary law. Foster children should be considered the same as your own while officially under your care. "/

Unfortunately, it's actually necessary. Foster children are officially wards of the state. Therefore, only the state, or their representatives (the agency) can determine what they can and can't do. I had a 17 yo in my house at one time, and we had to get written permission just to take her to target shoot. Fortunately, I work with a good agency, and have a good reputation, so I've never been denied, but it's possible...

just another truck
01-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Unfortunately, it's actually necessary. Foster children are officially wards of the state. Therefore, only the state, or their representatives (the agency) can determine what they can and can't do. I had a 17 yo in my house at one time, and we had to get written permission just to take her to target shoot. Fortunately, I work with a good agency, and have a good reputation, so I've never been denied, but it's possible...

We may recieve a 9 month old baby here shortly if her home life doesnt improve. I have been reading all of the requirments, and oh my god. I get it.. but wow..

When I interviewed, I had no idea what the paperwork, or "contract" looked like, They asked how would this girl be treated if given to us, I responded," Like dadies little girl" I then read.. Everything has to be approved, hair cuts even..

I understand the goal is to get the child back with her parents, I understand why it is the way it is, I guess I just didnt expect it to be that guarded.

A quick example to what I am talking about, one of my boys are in soccer, if we snap a picture of him in action, my wife will sometimes post the picture on her facebook page..

Now, if this little girl comes to our house, say in 7 years she plays soccer and we snap a picture, that picture may not be posted ANYWHERE, including a team photo.

very guarded..

AMSProcessing
01-23-2012, 10:58 PM
Yes - the rule about photos and publishing is a tough habit to break. You also can't give ANY specifics about kids in your care to ANYONE except those authorized by the state and the agency (basically doctors and agency folks). This means that no Facebook posts about ANY kids in still in the system, whether they're still in your care or not...

Unistat76
01-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Yes - the rule about photos and publishing is a tough habit to break. You also can't give ANY specifics about kids in your care to ANYONE except those authorized by the state and the agency (basically doctors and agency folks). This means that no Facebook posts about ANY kids in still in the system, whether they're still in your care or not...

It may seem like a onerous requirement, but aside from privacy issues, it is for the children's security. My wife is a social worker with the state and she has had cases where the bio-parents are absolutely nuts. There is no question some of these whackos would show up at a soccer game and snatch up their kid.

AMSProcessing
01-25-2012, 11:43 PM
It may seem like a onerous requirement, but aside from privacy issues, it is for the children's security. My wife is a social worker with the state and she has had cases where the bio-parents are absolutely nuts. There is no question some of these whackos would show up at a soccer game and snatch up their kid.

Not questioning the rule - we've had a couple interesting bios that we've dealt with as well. Just gets hard to break the habit for social media, and with friends.

Back on topic: This sounds like a well-needed law.

Tallbear
02-03-2012, 08:45 AM
Last Action: 2/2/2012 transmitted

Tallbear
07-20-2012, 10:22 AM
HB 5226 of 2011 (PA 250 of 2012) (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2011-HB-5226)
Last Action: 7/18/2012 assigned PA 250'12 with immediate effect

Quaamik
07-28-2012, 04:46 PM

Not only aren't they, they shouldn't be.

They are wards of the state and the intent is for it to be temporary. They may go back to their parents or go up for adoption. As such, somne rules HAVE to be in place.

As an example, what if the foster parent thought it a great idea to relocate the kid out of state? Or to get them contoversial medical care (or to withhold care - such as imunizations)? Those are two obvious examples why they cannot be treated as the foster parents own child.

The bill to allow them to hunt is a great idea. While I haven't read the bill, I'd hope it also allows for firearms instruction (safety and target shooting) and involvement in shooting sports.