PDA

View Full Version : 2 Quick Suppressor Based Questions

dillon.sebastian
12-15-2011, 04:46 PM
1. What is the minimum age to purchase a silencer? I am assuming either 18 or 21

2. I have both a .22 and a AR-15 chambered in 5.56. Since they are essentially the same bullet diameter, could I save some big $$$ and purchase one silencer that will work, and be very effective, for both rifles. I am thinking I would be best purchasing a 5.56 suppressor and use it on my .22 also. Would this cause me any problems? and would it still be as effective on my .22 as a rimfire specific suppressor would be?

Thanks for any input.

RECON762WT
12-15-2011, 04:53 PM
1. What is the minimum age to purchase a silencer? I am assuming either 18 or 21 21

2. I have both a .22 and a AR-15 chambered in 5.56. Since they are essentially the same bullet diameter, could I save some big $$$ and purchase one silencer that will work, and be very effective, for both rifles. I am thinking I would be best purchasing a 5.56 suppressor and use it on my .22 also. Would this cause me any problems? Yes, you almost have to have a servicable can when shooting 22lr. Most servicable cans (if not all) will not take the pressure of 5.56 and would it still be as effective on my .22 as a rimfire specific suppressor would be?

Thanks for any input.
Probably looking at two cans.

Shyster
12-16-2011, 11:04 AM
You could technically use a 5.56 suppressor and shoot .22lr out of it but the problem would be cleaning it. .22 cans are designed to be taken apart and cleaned due to the tremendous amount of fouling that occurs with LR ammo. Centerfire rifle cans generally cannot be disassembled.

Must be 21.

rjrivero
12-16-2011, 03:51 PM
1. What is the minimum age to purchase a silencer? I am assuming either 18 or 21

2. I have both a .22 and a AR-15 chambered in 5.56. Since they are essentially the same bullet diameter, could I save some big $$$ and purchase one silencer that will work, and be very effective, for both rifles. I am thinking I would be best purchasing a 5.56 suppressor and use it on my .22 also. Would this cause me any problems? and would it still be as effective on my .22 as a rimfire specific suppressor would be?

Thanks for any input.
1) 18 to own one. 21 to buy one from a dealer. How does that work? Well, if you're 18, you can file a Form 1 to make your own suppressor. You could even have someone else do the machining for you if you are there for the entire process and leave no bits and pieces behind at the end of the day, or you could buy a silencer second hand from a private owner. You would still have to fill out a form 4, and wait for the form 4 to come back approved with a stamp before you could take possession of it, but you CAN own a silencer at 18 years of age.

You need to be 21 years of age to buy one from a dealer.

2) I agree with the collective: Dedicated .22 can and maybe a .30 cal can for 5.56 to 308.

dillon.sebastian
12-16-2011, 06:18 PM
Ok then, the way it is looking I will need to buy 2 cans when I turn 21. Can u fill out 2 separate form 4's and send them in at the same time? Or will I have to buy one can, wait for the paperwork to clear, and then start the process over again?

GarrettJ
12-16-2011, 08:10 PM
Can u fill out 2 separate form 4's and send them in at the same time? Or will I have to buy one can, wait for the paperwork to clear, and then start the process over again?
You can send in multiple forms at the same time.

dekulaw
12-17-2011, 12:41 PM
There may be another option. Set up a trust and have a 21 year old or older co-trustee make the purchase from the dealer. Something to think about.

Griffin Armament
12-17-2011, 03:11 PM

Thanks for any input.

A 5.56 can will be more effective in .22lr than a .22lr can most of the time.

If you use it for hunting, you'll be fine. If you want to go through brick after brick, you should get a rimfire can so you don't clog a more spendy 5.56 can.

rjrivero
12-17-2011, 04:30 PM
1) 18 to own one. 21 to buy one from a dealer. How does that work? Well, if you're 18, you can file a Form 1 to make your own suppressor. You could even have someone else do the machining for you if you are there for the entire process and leave no bits and pieces behind at the end of the day, or you could buy a silencer second hand from a private owner. You would still have to fill out a form 4, and wait for the form 4 to come back approved with a stamp before you could take possession of it, but you CAN own a silencer at 18 years of age.

You need to be 21 years of age to buy one from a dealer.

2) I agree with the collective: Dedicated .22 can and maybe a .30 cal can for 5.56 to 308.

Forget 2). Huntertown arms has announced their 5.56 Kestrel can that is user serviceable and designed for the AK74 using corrosive primers. I can imagine it would be FINE for .22 as well. One can, muliti use. It's designed as a thread on, but can be used with different multi mount systems as well, if you so desire. Looks like step cone baffles. I have seen their .22 cans and they are a good value for the money. Very similar to the Gemtech Alpine. Sound is very similar as well. They provide a good product for the price in their .22 cans. The 5.56 cans, sound as if they follow the same philosophy.

LINK HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=texEzvXnmdk).

rjrivero
12-17-2011, 06:29 PM
There may be another option. Set up a trust and have a 21 year old or older co-trustee make the purchase from the dealer. Something to think about.
That's a perfect option, if you have a family member who is over 21 and whom you would want on your trust.

The person who picks up the suppressor must fill out a 4473. So that person needs to be over 21 and be able to pass an NICS background check, and be a Trustee in order to pick up the item. Any Co-Trustee need only be 18 in order to possess the item. Good call counsellor.:thumbup:

rjrivero
05-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Forget 2). Huntertown arms has announced their 5.56 Kestrel can that is user serviceable and designed for the AK74 using corrosive primers. I can imagine it would be FINE for .22 as well. One can, muliti use. It's designed as a thread on, but can be used with different multi mount systems as well, if you so desire. Looks like step cone baffles. I have seen their .22 cans and they are a good value for the money. Very similar to the Gemtech Alpine. Sound is very similar as well. They provide a good product for the price in their .22 cans. The 5.56 cans, sound as if they follow the same philosophy.

LINK HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=texEzvXnmdk).
I got to fondle a Kestrel 5.56 today. It's built like a tank. 4 cone baffles with a large blast baffle. The entire thing is stainless steel, including the cone baffles. It'll be a good can for .22 as well, considering you can take it apart to clean it. You'll want to dis-assemble for cleaning every couple hundred .22 rounds in order to make sure you don't gum it up to the point you can't get the baffle stack out. The front cap doesn't look as if it comes off, so you want to be sure you can drop the baffles out of the back.

The total weight on the scale is 21.5 oz.

fmkenner
05-19-2012, 12:22 AM
My Kestrel 22 finally arrived at my dealer 2 days ago after a 2 month wait. I'm still waiting on the Kestrel 556. That 22 can seems nice. Dealer said he was impressed with the quality and they were going to start stocking them.

rjrivero
05-19-2012, 01:08 AM
My Kestrel 22 finally arrived at my dealer 2 days ago after a 2 month wait. I'm still waiting on the Kestrel 556. That 22 can seems nice. Dealer said he was impressed with the quality and they were going to start stocking them.
Fo the price point, it's hard to beat. The 5.56 Kestrel is going to be a pretty good seller, I think.

fmkenner
05-19-2012, 02:01 AM
Fo the price point, it's hard to beat. The 5.56 Kestrel is going to be a pretty good seller, I think.

I paid $329 for the 22 can, $379 for the 556 can. Price was hard to pass up. Its a new company, figure I'll give them a try. They seem like theres thought put into there products. User friendly, serial numbers being placed where parts can be changed out. The Kestrel .22 seemed nice, but held it for a few minutes only. This will be my first can.

Shyster
05-19-2012, 07:52 AM
Any info on how much db reduction you get with these? Nothing on their website which concerns me a bit.

fmkenner
05-19-2012, 07:59 AM
Any info on how much db reduction you get with these? Nothing on their website which concerns me a bit.

No idea. At other sites they say they are waiting for independant tests. I watched the you tube videos and they all seem the same (I understand thats no way to judge a can). I'm betting that 556 can will be a hot item.
ETA: The 556 can is user serviceable, can be cleaned, and use a .22 thru it.