PDA

View Full Version : Small game question

bscult01
01-04-2012, 04:43 PM
I'm looking to get into small game hunting, mainly squirrles. I wanted to know if I'm allowed to hunt with my dog or if there is restrictions on what small game can be hunted with the aid of a dog.

Thanks

jmanz6
01-04-2012, 05:16 PM
I know of people who use dogs for squirrels. Is your dog a squirrel dog - ie one of the many breeds of Cur? Or maybe a Feist?

Really, any dog will do that has a good prey drive. Main idea is to have the squirrel looking at the dog and not at you.

ss30378
01-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Yes you and your dog can hunt squirrels and you may want to give rabbit hunting a try it's also a lot of fun.

no.4shot
01-05-2012, 06:40 PM
Michigan Squirrel Dog Association....you should check them out. Good group of guys. And Yes hunting squirrels with dogs is legal

http://michigansquirreldogassociation.mysite.com/

Heres my cur:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh257/michaelmacinnes/Treeingbetty.jpg

bscult01
01-06-2012, 07:49 AM
I have a jack russle/ shitzu mix. He just loves the woods and loves chasing and treeing squirrles. I wanted to go squirrle hunting and thought he would have fun chasing them down for me.

jmanz6
01-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Treeing squirrels in the yard and hunting them in the woods are two very different things. Nieghborhood squirrels are really dumb and not terribly afraid of people, noise, or even dogs (until they chase them). Wild squirrels will hide at the first sign of something they don't know. Most squirrel dogs will travel a pretty good distance before they get a squirrel, you follow the dog he doesn't follow you. Not like bird hunting. Good idea to have a radio collar on the dog so you have a better chance of seeing them again.

But, the best thing is when they do get one treed. They make so much noise and commotion that the squirrel doesn't see you going around to shoot it. Tons of fun and pretty exciting when the dog(s) get one.

rambro
01-10-2012, 11:01 PM
definately get a radio collar if this is a pet dog, not a farm dog or working dog. If you have a wife or kids will they be upset if the dog is lost? i would be ruined if my dog was lost or shot or hurt or died early for any reason i could avoid.

I saw a non hunting targeted product on tv for dog collar gps, i assume they must make a nicer more rugged hunting dog version, so as long as the dog keeps the collar on (may i suggest a body harness collar so he cant slip out of a collar in some bushes) you should be able to find him.

A jack russell is a common part of the fiest dogs from the south that another poster brought up, so long as he takes from the jack side and has a strong prey drive i bet he will do pretty dang well.

wildkarrde2484
01-11-2012, 05:28 PM
As far as collars go, definitely opt for a beeper if nothing else. My dad recently had his Versatile Champion bred bird dog take off 2 miles away so that he couldn't hear the beep anymore. Luckily he puts name and phone number engraved into every collar for his hunting dogs and someone called him after she bolted. He is now springing for a GPS collar for this one until she stops being such a puppy.

But if you have contact info on your collar in addition to the beeper, you are more likely to get your dog back if they start tracking something faster than you can run.