PDA

View Full Version : runnaround

shooter57
01-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Met this lady and she stated her husband wants a suppresser but no police dept will sign his paper work, says they don't cover ther area. They live in Rose twp. state police says no, oakland county sheriff say no,even genisee cty says no. what can they do? I did tell her to come here to ask.

shurhouse
01-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Create a trust. No sign off needed. A couple of threads that will shine some light on the subject for you.

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=147590&page=2

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=147300

ColonelKurtz
01-07-2012, 11:27 AM
oakland county sheriff say no
they're usually good to go... maybe there's a legit reason they're refused :hide:

shooter57
01-07-2012, 11:34 AM
will pass the info to her when I see her next week. thanks. ocsd said they don't patroll that area?

rjrivero
01-07-2012, 03:20 PM
will pass the info to her when I see her next week. thanks. ocsd said they don't patroll that area?
That's consistent. The Oakland County will sign off for folks who fall under their patrol area, but they will not sign for folks who fall under city PD's jurisdiction.

They would have to go to the City PD. If they refuse to sign, then you can go make an appointment with the District Attorney.

If they don't sign then you either have to go the TRUST route, or to the State Attorney General.

shooter57
01-07-2012, 04:04 PM
She told me they have no local police and if they call 911 the state police shows up an hour or two later. They use to have the grovland state police post but it closed as a sub station even though the officers still use the building.

rjrivero
01-07-2012, 04:22 PM
She told me they have no local police and if they call 911 the state police shows up an hour or two later. They use to have the grovland state police post but it closed as a sub station even though the officers still use the building.
Then she probably needs to go to the state AG office. I would expect a TRUST to be her best bet.

dekulaw
01-08-2012, 12:05 AM
I would be happy to talk to her husband and help. It may just require an appropriate phone call to the right person. I am in Monroe County and we have many areas in the county with the same type of LE coverage. I am an attorney and I am doing the NFA trusts. I did my own research and drafted my own trust. Our Monroe County LE people aren't spending any time on this issue and are still without any "policies". I think the trust option is a best practice anyway, whether I do it or another attorney does it. In fact I would suggest they try to find a local attorney to help them so they have the local support in the background if needed.

John V. Deku
John V. Deku, PLC
6530 Secor Road, Suite 6
Lambertville, Michigan 48144

Phone: (734) 854-4535
dekulaw@sbcglobal.net

http://dekulaw.com

shooter57
01-10-2012, 01:31 PM
They already have a trust, will be contacting their att about adding NFA.

rexzor2007
01-29-2012, 09:07 PM
Hope you get it worked out. My CLEO required a great deal of information before he signed off. I got the runaround with fingerprints for quite a while as well. Ugh! It can be stressful trying to be a law-abiding citizen. Good Luck!

jmacken37
01-30-2012, 11:30 AM
If they are in a hurry (I know, they'll be waiting anyways) just do the trust. If not, I'd purchase a can (often the dealer will need to order it anyways) and wait to see if the CLEO provision is lifted by the time the Form 3 to the dealer is approved. Trust does add avantages with allowing multiple individuals access to the firearm/can, but CLEO signoff is being removed.

Jake (FFL/SOT)

shooter57
01-30-2012, 01:34 PM
Their doing a trust, don't know where their at in the paper work. They both have CPL's so it makes me mad to hear they can't get the paper work signed. The law says you can have one and you already have a CPL so I think someone in LEO is breaking the law by not providing the service required by the state.

jmacken37
01-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Actually, there is no law being broken. The CLEO has the option of signing off. Recent changes afoot will remove this silly requirement, given the age of instant background checks, etc.

Jake