PDA

View Full Version : Range Report 1911

Dsully
01-14-2012, 04:33 PM
So I got a chance to go shooting today with 3 things on my agenda.
1) To make sure my Rock Island still worked properly after my complete take down
2) Test some more SD ammo in my Nighthawk Falcon to figure out what it likes
3) To break-in my Bill Wilson Carry that I just picked up

Here are the 3 1911's I brought and different SD ammo for the Falcon
http://walkingheavy.com/rangereport1/tested.jpg

Here's the can of ammo before shooting (about 550 rounds of .45 ACP 230gr)
http://walkingheavy.com/rangereport1/ammobefore.JPG

I decided to function test the Rock Island first. I recently picked this up to mess with so I could do a complete takedown and reassemble it. And hopefully, get it to work after I did it. All the safeties worked as should, mag locked in and dropped out and the slide stayed back on an empty mag. Dry firing worked as it should. I loaded it up and went out to the targets. All shots, with all 3 guns were at 7-12 yards. Fired about 20 rounds of ball ammo and everything worked flawlessly. Start of a good day.

The sights on the Rock Island were tough for me but here are a couple of targets. I'm sure with more practice using these sights, my groups would get tighter.
http://walkingheavy.com/rangereport1/ri.JPG
I know, I know the flyer at the bottom right target. Stop making fun... I'm not used to the sights :) So 1911 no. 1 went good for what it was there for. I'm happy.

Now onto the Nighthawk...

I've been running this Falcon for a bit now. I have about 1500+ rounds through it. Ball ammo runs flawlessly through it but I have been having a lot of FTF with different types of SD rounds. I have tried Gold Dot, Powerball, Criticle Defense and TAP 200gr. Everyone of those manufactures have made the Falcon FTF on average about once every 10-12 rounds. A simple rack has put the gun back into the game but it wasn't good enough for me. So, today I brought some TAP 230gr and some Wilson Combat 230gr +p. I thought that maybe since the ball ammo is 230gr that the TAP 230gr would function better. No reason for the thought, just wanted to try it. I fired all 20 rounds and I had 2 FTFs. I'm irritated at this point. So, I decide to try the WC ammo I just picked up. I have 2 boxes to try out. I load the mags and begin to shoot. The first 20 rounds, not one hiccup. I'm grinning at this point so I load another box up in the same mags. Run another 20 rounds and it goes perfectly. Did I just find the SD ammo that will work in my Falcon? I think so. I only had 40 rounds of it with me so I will have to do more testing with it but at least I am on a better road with this Nighthawk. Maybe the nickel plated brass has something to do with the FTFs. Not sure but here is the target with the Nighthawk.
http://walkingheavy.com/rangereport1/falcon.JPG

Now, on to the main reason I wanted to come out here. The Bill Wilson Carry CQB. The gun looks and feels great in my hand. It racks so smooth. I ran 383 rounds through it today. It ran flawlessly for about 200 rounds and then the slide failed to stay back on the last round. The magazine wouldn't release either. I had to rack it back and push the slide stop up and actually pull the mag out while depressing the release button. Sort of weird but i reinserted an empty mag and it released properly. Also, tested to see if the slide would stay back on an empty mag... it did. I figured it was getting dirty and needed some oil. So I oiled it up, the mag release too and it started running good again. One stove pipe and another failure to stay locked back after about another 100 rounds. The ammo I used were reloads and a bit dirty. So I can expect that after 200 rounds. So far I am happy with it but I need to clean it and run it again. I also Tried some +p loads in it but I don't think I like shooting +p out of this compact 1911. I ordered some Wilson Combat 230 gr for the 4" so hopefully, I will like that to shoot better. Here are some targets from today from 7-12 yards. I wanted to see how accurate this thing could be. All guns shot today were off hand.
http://walkingheavy.com/rangereport1/bw1.JPG
http://walkingheavy.com/rangereport1/bw2.JPG
http://walkingheavy.com/rangereport1/bw3.JPG
http://walkingheavy.com/rangereport1/bw4.JPG
http://walkingheavy.com/rangereport1/bw5.JPG
http://walkingheavy.com/rangereport1/bw6.JPG

Here is the Wilson and what's left of my ammo after today
http://walkingheavy.com/rangereport1/ammoafter.JPG

RoadRunner71
01-20-2012, 05:16 AM
Great write up. The Nighthawk and Wilson are beautiful pieces of weaponry and the Rock Island isn't ugly either.:-D

Your troubles are the exact reason I threw in the the towel with 1911s. They are just too frustrating for me. I have yet to find a brand/load of .45 ACP that will NOT run through my Sig or my Glocks. They may not be as pretty, but they don't make me pull my hair out either.

Good luck and thanks for the write up and pics!

Dsully
01-20-2012, 05:31 AM
Thanks man. If the snow isn't too bad today I plan on heading out tomorrow to run all 3 again. I fitted a new trigger in the RI so I want to try that. I talked with Larry at Nighthawk and he told me to try a couple of things before sending it in and I have some factory ammo I want to run through the Wilson as well as the JHPs Wilson made specifically for a compact. Should be a fun day.

I know what you are saying about the 1911. Every gun I have had has some issue at some point. I just shoot better with 1911s. Makes me more confident and as long as I train to push through malfunctions, I should be good. Nothing wrong with sig or glock. Have a good one

XDM 40 cal
01-20-2012, 06:06 AM
COOL!!..

Flyers happen....:lipseal:

Really NICE shooting...

Great write up.

SlowDog
01-20-2012, 07:21 AM
Great write up! I hate to say it but my 500 dolla Springfield is accurate and never ever has had a hiccup. I do seriously believe that when the tolorences are tightened up in a 1911 it enhances the FTF FTE issues. But I must say my Springer is a sows ear next to those guns. I do prefer nickel brass because it feeds better.

Again great range report!!!

Dsully
01-20-2012, 07:35 AM
Thanks guys

pkuptruck
01-20-2012, 07:55 AM
..... I have some factory ammo I want to run through the Wilson as well as the JHPs Wilson made specifically for a compact. Should be a fun day.

I know what you are saying about the 1911. Every gun I have had has some issue at some point. I just shoot better with 1911s. Makes me more confident and as long as I train to push through malfunctions, I should be good. Nothing wrong with sig or glock. Have a good one

a couple of things... Be leary of ANY gun that only likes ammo that its maker, makes!!! :shocked: LOL

Also, the 1911 doesnt have what many, if not ALL plastic guns have... and thats TORQUE.

by that, I mean... shoot a plastic gun weak hand ( one handed) and do the same with a 1911. You WILL notice the plastic guns TURNING in your grip/hand. the 1911 does not do that.. :bounce2:

Dsully
01-20-2012, 08:51 AM
a couple of things... Be leary of ANY gun that only likes ammo that its maker, makes!!! :shocked: LOL

Also, the 1911 doesnt have what many, if not ALL plastic guns have... and thats TORQUE.

by that, I mean... shoot a plastic gun weak hand ( one handed) and do the same with a 1911. You WILL notice the plastic guns TURNING in your grip/hand. the 1911 does not do that.. :bounce2:
The Wilson ate everything it was the Nighthawk that liked the Wilson ammo.

SlowDog
01-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Would love to see one of those Wilson bullets to see how they're made....hmmmm :scratch: :scratch:

jimbos
01-20-2012, 09:25 AM

Yup, it's a straight down the centerline type of recoil with no upward snappiness.

Dsully
01-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Had one on me yesterday. I should have given it to you

SlowDog
01-20-2012, 09:53 AM
DOH!!:slap: hahahahaha

Dsully
01-21-2012, 03:34 PM
So I got out today to shoot the three 1911s again. Tested the new trigger on the RI and it worked flawlessly and my groups were a bit tighter but those sights suck.

The Nighthawk is going back to the shop. I don't want to get into it but I'm not happy with the Falcon at all. I also want to checker the bottom of the trigger guard and switch the rear sights. I don't care for the single tritium dot in the center of it. Sort of stupid when I'm used to 3 dot or none in the rear sight.

Now for what made my day fun. I wanted to run some factory ammo and some SD rounds through it. I ran a total of 413 rounds through it today with no malfunctions. Seems that either I limp wristed it or it just needed to be broken in the first time out. This thing runs so smooth. I have nothing bad to say about the Bill Wilson Carry. Speed reloads were not as fast as the Nighthawk but that's to be expected with a full size compared to a compact. All in all, I'm very happy with this gun and will be my carry until I receive my CQB Elite. I still like full size over compact but this will do for now.

detroit9mm
01-21-2012, 03:56 PM
Beautiful guns my friend. That's too bad about the Falcon, Hopefully they make it right for you. I recently purchased my first 1911, a used Kimber Eclipse Pro II. I love the way it shoots but it's given me some hiccups with hollow points so it's going to Carniak Customs for a polish and throat job and whatever else she feels is necessary for reliability. My next 1911 will probably be that same Wilson.

Dsully
01-21-2012, 04:08 PM
Beautiful guns my friend. That's too bad about the Falcon, Hopefully they make it right for you. I recently purchased my first 1911, a used Kimber Eclipse Pro II. I love the way it shoots but it's given me some hiccups with hollow points so it's going to Carniak Customs for a polish and throat job and whatever else she feels is necessary for reliability. My next 1911 will probably be that same Wilson.
Thanks man. Sucks that some Kimbers are great out of the box and some just need some work. Hopefully it will be corrected the first time around. I would definitely recommend the BWC to anyone who wants a compact carry 1911. You will be very happy with it. Just break it in as Wilson states to and you should have a very reliable carry weapon.

touchracing
01-21-2012, 08:49 PM
I feel your pain with the RI sights. I couldn't change mine out fast enough. The little speed bumps just don't cut it.

Dsully
01-21-2012, 09:31 PM
You can say that again

SlowDog
01-22-2012, 12:21 AM
Glad to hear it all worked out with the break in. Sorry to hear about the Falcon. Please tell me you gathered up your brass? LMAO:scratch:

Dsully
01-22-2012, 06:18 AM
Glad to hear it all worked out with the break in. Sorry to hear about the Falcon. Please tell me you gathered up your brass? LMAO:scratch:
Hahahahahahaha! Yeah. It's gathered over here, some over here and some even over there :biggrin:

chuter~
01-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Sully, what's up? I heard you were on here. I just joined the site. Nice hardware above.

We should buddy up.

Jim D.

Dsully
01-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Sully, what's up? I heard you were on here. I just joined the site. Nice hardware above.

We should buddy up.

Jim D.
Hey Jim. What going on? Send me a pm

SlowDog
01-22-2012, 05:40 PM
Hey Dave

Did you only shoot the 45's? Or did you do any long gun plinking too?

Dsully
01-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Hey Dave

Did you only shoot the 45's? Or did you do any long gun plinking too?
Only the 45's. I was hoping to meet EriFf517 up there but he had some other stuff he needed to get done so I just shot the 45's