PDA

View Full Version : Explain hunting ranches and exotics hunts to me, please.

Cocowheats
01-17-2012, 08:36 AM
I live around Lansing and want to hunt a wild pig(boar, hog, pig...it's all the same deliciousness to me). It's been made relatively clear to me that most of the pig hunting in lower MI is done on these hunting ranches were you pay to shoot semi-exotic animals. That part I understand.

What I don't get is where the animals come from. If these are fenched ranches then the game must be stocked, right? So where does the "stock" usually come from?

I guess I just don't want to shoot a pig that was transported 100miles to a enclosed ranch to wander his remaining days till he is killed...that doesnt appeal to me. If I'm shooting a pig in MI, I want a MI born pig. Call me crazy.

Any insight appreciated....and I'm not knocking the ranches, just not my cup of tea.

Thanks.

Hawgrider
01-17-2012, 08:54 AM
Try Texas

You wont find much for non ranch pig hunting here. The DNR claims they are running rampant in Mich. Yet no one see's them at least not many.

Cocowheats
01-17-2012, 08:57 AM
It's very obvious Texas among other places is great for hog hunting...BUT, my question pertains strictly to MI and where MI ranches get their game animals.

Thanks.

who dat
01-17-2012, 09:26 AM
Google Game Farms.

There are hundreds of them and they breed and raise animals for people around the world. You can put them in a hunting ranch and I'm sure there are other reasons to buy them.

There's a deer breeder in Coopersville that I drove by last summer/fall. In breeding pens were some of the biggest non-typical whitetails I've ever seen. Each buck had a herd of does to service. The does get sold, the fawns get sold, the bucks get sold to hunting ranches or can be hunted there AFAIK.

There is a private zoo outside GR that gets exotics for show. He used to just collect them for his own amusement, but now has a pay per view zoo.

Capitalism at its best!

pkuptruck
01-17-2012, 09:59 AM
Try Texas

You wont find much for non ranch pig hunting here. The DNR claims they are running rampant in Mich. Yet no one see's them at least not many.

+a gagillion...:rofl:

cant really see the skill, sport, or desire to hunt in a "petting zoo"...
but I suppose there are those out there that DO.... :shock:

sparkman10mm
01-17-2012, 09:59 AM
Check out the Super G Ranch near Morley.
Les Gemmen is the owner/operator...neat place

Tallbear
01-17-2012, 10:05 AM
If you're going to a game ranch for a hog, you better plan on doing it soon.

New state law/regulation on game ranch hogs is they have to get rid of all hogs sometime this year(I think it was by April??) or pay fines. This is part of the "feral hog" problem solving they came up with.

Hawgrider
01-17-2012, 10:07 AM
+a gagillion...:rofl:

cant really see the skill, sport, or desire to hunt in a "petting zoo"...
but I suppose there are those out there that DO.... :shock:He hee
It cracks me up the recent interest in Hog hunting thats been way over blown in this state. You have a better chance of hitting the lotto than seeing a free roaming pig in this state:lol:

Ruger
01-17-2012, 10:22 AM
He hee
You have a better chance of hitting the lotto than seeing a free roaming pig in this state:lol:

That's not true! I have it from a classified source that the pigs have found a new way to get in to the state!

http://conservapedia.com/images/d/d4/Flying_pig.gif

Not only that! I've heard tell that the burmese python's have crossed the Ohio River..........only a matter of time before we have them coming out of the toilet....:facepalm:

pkuptruck
01-17-2012, 10:31 AM
That's not true! I have it from a classified source that the pigs have found a new way to get in to the state!

http://conservapedia.com/images/d/d4/Flying_pig.gif

:facepalm:

COOL!!! then I could leave the rifle, and use a skeet/trap gun!!! :biggrin:

Ruger
01-17-2012, 11:08 AM
COOL!!! then I could leave the rifle, and use a skeet/trap gun!!! :biggrin:

They travel at night!

mjerickson
01-17-2012, 07:02 PM
If you're going to a game ranch for a hog, you better plan on doing it soon.

New state law/regulation on game ranch hogs is they have to get rid of all hogs sometime this year(I think it was by April??) or pay fines. This is part of the "feral hog" problem solving they came up with.

I was not aware of this potential new law, and its about time. One thing that gets me is, as others have mentioned; The DNR makes it sound like feral hogs are overunning areas of the state.

Yet, the introduction of CWD was traced to deer that had escaped high fence enclosures, costing the state millions of dollars, but no legislation has been brought forth to elimate them.

To the OP's question, I would call one of the ranches you are considering. It seems to me that if hogs breed as quickly as they do, it would make sense for the ranches to import a few breeding pairs and manage a resident population rather than have to repeatedly import animals.

I could be wrong, maybe the ranchers manage their populations in other ways.

Cocowheats
01-18-2012, 01:15 AM
Thanks all for the input. It seems that all the ranches are "can" hunts and that their probably stocking their game from the fore mentioned "game farms".

Honestly, it amazes me game farming and hunting ranches are legal, but they are so I don't judge.

Guess I truly will have to make a vacaction out of it and head so Texas or such.

dpgperftest
01-18-2012, 01:50 AM
Explain hunting ranches and exotics hunts to me, please.
ok its like hunting at your local petting zoo:poke:

who dat
01-18-2012, 09:19 AM
Thanks all for the input. It seems that all the ranches are "can" hunts and that their probably stocking their game from the fore mentioned "game farms".

Honestly, it amazes me game farming and hunting ranches are legal, but they are so I don't judge.

Guess I truly will have to make a vacaction out of it and head so Texas or such.There are ranches there, too. Only they are thousands of acres instead of hundreds.

Batman
01-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Not sure if it was the Spanish or the English or who but hogs were imported to North America. The whole continent is a game farm.

All wildlife species are managed. Without exception, and I mean everything! Song birds, insects, deer, bears and fish...someone is responsible for managing it.

MichiganShootist
01-18-2012, 02:11 PM
I've hunted and bagged a truly wild boar...(on an un-fenced land lease)... but it was in Georgia. In many of the Southern states (Georgia, Mississippi, Arkansas etc) there is no bag limit or licence on wild pigs because they are responsible for millions of dollars in crop damage each year.

The place I hunted was a 1,000 acre deer camp and they wanted the pigs shot because the were messing up their deer plots. We killed 15 pigs in one weekend. The guy who hooked me up was one of the members of the deer club. He said they kill hundreds of pigs every year.

who dat
01-18-2012, 02:13 PM
I've hunted and bagged a truly wild boar...(on an un-fenced land lease)... but it was in Georgia. In many of the Southern states (Georgia, Mississippi, Arkansas etc) there is no bag limit or licence on wild pigs because they are responsible for millions of dollars in crop damage each year.

The place I hunted was a 1,000 acre deer camp and they wanted the pigs shot because the were messing up their deer plots. We killed 15 pigs in one weekend. The guy who hooked me up was one of the members of the deer club. He said they kill hundreds of pigs every year.
Road trip!

miked
01-18-2012, 02:25 PM
Road trip!

:thumbup:

sonicmatter
01-19-2012, 09:28 PM
I saw many pigs in CA before I moved out here. I would love to shoot a pig here in MI although I am not sure what to believe since some say there are and some call shenanigans.