PDA

View Full Version : Class III Manufacturer shop class???

UpNorthWOLF
01-18-2012, 08:46 AM
Just an idea from the ignorant... please chime in.

Can a number of us put in our paperwork as a Class 3 Manufacturer and work in tandem with a machine shop or a CURRENT Class 3 Manufacturer to make/finish fully auto items we then keep? Basically set it up as a do-it-yourself to push the button on the CNC machine, pull down the drill press handle where needed, etc. to LEARN and make our own, brand new, full auto lowers, etc.

Is this possible?

Jack-w-1911
01-18-2012, 10:35 AM
:lurk:

camaro1776
01-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Not a lawyer or the atf but here's my 2 cents.
First no one can build full autos in America for the purpose of "keeping" them. They're to be used as demos and you are to try and sell them to le/government agency/or legal export. Now as far as a current class 3 manufacturer using outside help(non class 3 manufacturer) to build parts I would think would depend on the part. Ie handguard or pistol grip probably fine, lightning link or receiver probably not.
Now the next part was as I read it to allow umm average people to have new FA. No you can't keep them. Employees however would be allowed to use/possess said FA as acting on behalf of the legal manufacturer. Storing at home? Idk that maybe pushing it. I think offering classes would be a real bad idea. That's just inviting the aft over for tea and they hate tea.
Again not a lawyer or atf so don't use what I said as gospel.

medic21
01-18-2012, 01:40 PM
You are correct. Class 3 f/a weapons manufactured after May 19, 1986 may only to sold to LEO, military or export. Civilians may only own Class 3 f/a made before that date.There is considerable paperwork and money involved in legally manufacturing Class 3 f/a. The very small market is dominated by brand-name companies with reputations. To manufacture for your personal use is a major "no-no" in the eyes of BATFE. Legitimate manufacturers and Class 3 dealers possess post-86 Class 3 f/a for demo purposes only and who does the demo is tightly controlled. If you are a Class 3 dealer and if you have a written demo request from a CLEO you could purchase the demo weapon they want to see that is post-May 1986. You could never sell it to anyone other than LEO, military, perhaps export, and to another Class 3 dealer with a demo letter. I would not want to be questioned at a range while possessing a post 86 weapon without a LEO audience around to support that a demo was taking place.

rjrivero
01-18-2012, 03:58 PM
Just to add to what Medic21 said, you can also sell your "Post ban demo" to another Class 3 or MFG if you are going out of business. There isn't any problem with shooting Post 86 firearms without a formal Demo since you need to make sure they are working prior to the demo. ;)

I *believe* you can only have one post 86 demo per model. So if you have an M16, you could only have ONE M16, for instance.

TWS-Mike
01-19-2012, 10:14 AM
I think I could be happy with just one... :grin:

Just to add to what Medic21 said, you can also sell your "Post ban demo" to another Class 3 or MFG if you are going out of business. There isn't any problem with shooting Post 86 firearms without a formal Demo since you need to make sure they are working prior to the demo. ;)

I *believe* you can only have one post 86 demo per model. So if you have an M16, you could only have ONE M16, for instance.

rjrivero
01-19-2012, 10:17 AM
I think I could be happy with just one... :grin:
PM Sent. If you can get a Department letter I got a deal for you!

jmacken37
01-20-2012, 03:29 PM
First off, there is no such entity as a Class III manufacturer.

Making NFA firearms for personal use is bad ju ju and has the potential to get you arrested for unlawful manufacture of an NFA item. Not a good plan!

If you'd like to be a manufacturer to produce NFA items for resale, you just need to gain approval from the ATF as a manufacturer (fill out application, confirm compliance with local/federal laws, and pass inspection) and then pay your annual SOT (special occupation tax) of $500-1000 and ITAR tax (around $1.5K last I checked). Of course, you'll need to comply with all zoning and environmental rules (this is how Clinton closed down lots of FFL's). A manufacturer with a paid SOT can then produce machineguns, etc, but only for legitimate business purposes.

Manufacturers with a paid SOT can make their own firearms, but will need a "law letter" (a letter from a governmental entity requesting demonstration of a specific model of firearm) to purchase already made firearms. If a law letter requests demonstration of two firearms, it can be used to purchase two copies of a specific model of firearm (e.g., HK 416 10.4" or 14.5") if the manufacturer or dealer can explain why they need two copies (e.g. to cover for a possible malfunction). The law letter requirement is what makes obtaining post-sample firearms difficult for most dealer and manufacturers. There is an exception to the law letter process for manufacturers (not dealers); if a dealer or manufacturer is going out of business, they can sell (and transfer) their sample machine guns to a manufacturer without a law letter.

Regarding multiple copies, you can have up to two versions of specific model as noted above. There is no problem having multiple "types" of a specific model. For example, you can have an LMT full auto 5.56 rifle, an HK416 full auto rifle, and a Colt full auto rifle (actually two of each).

Jake

johnzilla
01-29-2012, 04:49 PM
Maybe off-topic but I think there would be plenty of interest for items that weren't full auto firearms: suppressors, bending AK or MAC-10/11 receivers, finishing 80% 1911 or AR lowers, etc.

For example, I have a Sten MK III project in the works and the receiver tube has to be machined. I would like to do it myself with guidance from a mentor rather than just drop it off to someone and pick it up later. I'm fairly confident I can do it myself solo but it would be nice to have someone with experience there to backstop me in case I start to screw it up.

rjrivero
01-29-2012, 04:56 PM
Maybe off-topic but I think there would be plenty of interest for items that weren't full auto firearms: suppressors, bending AK or MAC-10/11 receivers, finishing 80% 1911 or AR lowers, etc.

For example, I have a Sten MK III project in the works and the receiver tube has to be machined. I would like to do it myself with guidance from a mentor rather than just drop it off to someone and pick it up later. I'm fairly confident I can do it myself solo but it would be nice to have someone with experience there to backstop me in case I start to screw it up.
I don't machine receivers, but you COULD submit form 1's and have a "workshop" to manufacture suppressors. They're easy to make, just a little time consuming depending on baffle design. That kind of work is perfectly legal.