PDA

View Full Version : 9 MM supressor

michigan saint
01-19-2012, 02:15 PM
I went to Top Gun last night thinking I was gonna order a supressor. After a couple weeks of reading articles and reviews I was going with a Gemtech Tundra. Cost of the unit, plus tax, plus Federal tax stamp, plus a barrel got it up to about $1200. Haven't run into anyone personally who has one that I can check out but I was told I would be disappointed after spending that much how much it really doesn't quite it down, I realize the movies are just that and didn't expect it to be that quiet but would really like to find someone in my area who has one that I can hear for myself. I live in Milan and we can shoot in my backyard or will travel to you if you can help me out on this. Thanks in advance. Saint

rjrivero
01-19-2012, 03:07 PM
I went to Top Gun last night thinking I was gonna order a supressor. After a couple weeks of reading articles and reviews I was going with a Gemtech Tundra. Cost of the unit, plus tax, plus Federal tax stamp, plus a barrel got it up to about $1200. Haven't run into anyone personally who has one that I can check out but I was told I would be disappointed after spending that much how much it really doesn't quite it down, I realize the movies are just that and didn't expect it to be that quiet but would really like to find someone in my area who has one that I can hear for myself. I live in Milan and we can shoot in my backyard or will travel to you if you can help me out on this. Thanks in advance. Saint

Is this going to be pistol only?

The Tundra is a good suppressor, but personally, I would want to go with something that is user serviceable, if I had it to do all over again. My first is a SWR Trident-9. If the SWR Octane-9 had been out, I would have gotten it instead.

I prefer some flexibility in mounting options so I can use it on pistols or rifles. A 9mm in a carbine rifle with a suppressor is just pure joy to shoot.

Advanced Armament's Ti-Rant is supposed to be a great suppressor.

The one can that I do have and really like a lot is the Liberty Mystic. It's still pending a form 4, but my dealer has brought the can out to the range and we have shot A LOT through it. The Mystic is longer, and heavier than the Trident-9 but it is noticeably more quiet as well. The monocore is a work of art. It can use any of the Mutimount barrel adaptors, making it a very versatile suppressor. I will be using it with cast bullets as well considering how easy it is to take apart and clean.

If you want to take a trip some 24 miles south to Toledo, I'd be happy to let you shoot any of my suppressed firearms to get some real life comparisons before you place your order!

will.s
01-19-2012, 03:24 PM
I am kinda in the same ordeal. I have since started looking at the AAC ECO9 $450 for the can. Looks pretty promising for a 9mm can, since it will be pruly a toy, I'm not gunna spend a crazy amount.

GarrettJ
01-19-2012, 03:27 PM
It's going to be a little bit of a drive for you, but TWS-Mike is putting on a suppressor demo (http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=160946) on the west side of the state in Feb and March.

It's true that you don't typically get "Hollywood quiet". But I've owned silencers for over a decade now, and they're definitely worth having / shooting.

medic21
01-19-2012, 06:29 PM
I don't pretend to be an expert or RKI for suppressors but I have a Tundra on my Glock 19 and its quite nice and quiet. My only observation is that I must sight-thru the suppressor when aiming. I'm in Traverse City so that's quite a drive for you.

GarrettJ
01-19-2012, 06:48 PM
My only observation is that I must sight-thru the suppressor when aiming.
That works, and can be done accurately.

I find I'm faster shot-to-shot either using tall sights or a slide-mounted red dot, though.

michigan saint
01-19-2012, 09:09 PM
Is this going to be pistol only?

The Tundra is a good suppressor, but personally, I would want to go with something that is user serviceable, if I had it to do all over again. My first is a SWR Trident-9. If the SWR Octane-9 had been out, I would have gotten it instead.

I prefer some flexibility in mounting options so I can use it on pistols or rifles. A 9mm in a carbine rifle with a suppressor is just pure joy to shoot.

Advanced Armament's Ti-Rant is supposed to be a great suppressor.

The one can that I do have and really like a lot is the Liberty Mystic. It's still pending a form 4, but my dealer has brought the can out to the range and we have shot A LOT through it. The Mystic is longer, and heavier than the Trident-9 but it is noticeably more quiet as well. The monocore is a work of art. It can use any of the Mutimount barrel adaptors, making it a very versatile suppressor. I will be using it with cast bullets as well considering how easy it is to take apart and clean.

If you want to take a trip some 24 miles south to Toledo, I'd be happy to let you shoot any of my suppressed firearms to get some real life comparisons before you place your order!
Thanks for your quick reply, Actually I am trying to find some time to go to a place in T-town called fins, furs and feathers for some reloading supplies and have read that is the place to go. Just getting into reloading also. Anyways when are you available for me to stop in, I will plan my trip down there around that. I really appreciate your offer a lot. My cell is 734-678-7505 Thanks again and I look foward to metting you. Saint

rjrivero
01-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Thanks for your quick reply, Actually I am trying to find some time to go to a place in T-town called fins, furs and feathers for some reloading supplies and have read that is the place to go. Just getting into reloading also. Anyways when are you available for me to stop in, I will plan my trip down there around that. I really appreciate your offer a lot. My cell is 734-678-7505 Thanks again and I look foward to metting you. Saint
Fin Feather and fur is not near Toledo. There is one in Ashland and one in Cleveland. Both are about 2 hours away.

I'll send you a pm with my contact info. For just a few demo shots, we can do that at the house. ;)

RJ

rjrivero
01-30-2012, 11:32 AM
Saint,

It was nice meeting you the other day. Hopefully you got a good enough idea on what suppressors do for 9mm on various hosts.

We were able to shoot the Trident-9 and compare it to the Liberty Mystic (My Class III dealer was kind enough to bring it over for a few shots, provided I let him test out some new loads in his Bren.)

We got to put a few rounds in the Gemtech Alpine .22 LR suppressor as well.

It was cold, and Windy, but it was worth it.

Let us know which suppressor you end up ordering for yourself.

RJ

GarrettJ
01-30-2012, 12:19 PM
We were able to shoot the Trident-9 and compare it to the Liberty Mystic...
So what were your thoughts, comparing the two? Did one stand out as noticeably quieter, or did they sound about the same?

rjrivero
01-30-2012, 12:24 PM
So what were your thoughts, comparing the two? Did one stand out as noticeably quieter, or did they sound about the same?
The mystic is quieter. But it's also longer and heavier. Diameter is the same. The mystic has a stainless steel monocore, and the Trident-9 uses an omega baffle. The Mystic gets the slight nod for suppression. But you have to shoot them side by side to really notice it.