PDA

View Full Version : .22LR Ammo / CZ 452 American range report

Jetplane19
01-20-2012, 10:10 AM
I've had my CZ-452 American for almost 2 years and so far have only shot bulk ammo through it...with OK results.

I finally gathered up some decent ammo to compare how they shot through the gun.
*Wolf Match (MidwayUSA $5.19 / 50rds)
*SK Rifle Match (MidwayUSA $7.99 / 50rds)
*Eley Match 50 (MidwayUSA $14.79 / 50rds)
*CCI Mini Mag (WalMart...8 bucks a hundred?, i forget)

I set the targets at 50 yards in a stand about chest-high.
The gun sat on a Caldwell "The Rock" rest with a small bag at the rear.

On Saturday the 7th, I shot this first set of targets.
There was no precip at the time, and winds were very calm.
Temps were about 40F +/-.
These are all 3 shot groups.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7172/6730905221_7f581d978b_b.jpg

Below are the targets from the next day, with the same weather conditions.
The target at 5:00 has some junk shot by mistake. It has 5x of SK and 5x of Eley. Finally 5 rounds of CCI to use up what I had left.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7162/6730905047_dd5afa4b65_b.jpg

A few take-aways....

*The 1st (11:00) spot on each target is consistently better than the others. Interesting!

*I was mostly impressed with Wolf, but bummed about the fliers.

*I thought CCI would be better than this.

*It was very clear that the CCI bullets were hitting the target much faster than the rest.

*SSK and Eley shot about the same, but SSK is almost half the cost.

The winning ammo for that weekend is SK, IMHO.
I ordered 500rds of SK and look forward to testing it against other ammo.
If you have any good suggestions, please let me know.

partdeux
01-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Tactical AR and Blazer.

My own very limited testing showed the tactical AR being slighty better. A lot of people seem to like the cheap blazer (which is supposed to be mini mag minus the copper coating.

fr3db3ar
01-20-2012, 02:41 PM
Every gun is different, but I had great success with CCI SV. Wolf MT shot about the same but of course the CCI is considerably cheaper.

My trainer shoots the Fed 510B fairly decent and it works with the tangent sights so I bought as much of that as I could while it was still 1.47/1.77. I shouldn't have to buy any more of that for a very long time.

I still prefer the CCI SV for squirrel hunting in my CZ, Savage, Ruger MKIII and 10/22.

aaron
01-23-2012, 02:35 PM
I shoot Wolf MT out of my 452 LUX. The lot I'm using now seems to get flyers, but I haven't been shooting nearly as much as I was in the summer. It seems to do better than CCI Sub Sonics for me. Sometimes I shoot CCI's well, but mostly I prefer the Wolf. I shoot at 50 yards as well and get decent groups, but the gun shoots better than me that's for sure.

mr mom
01-23-2012, 05:23 PM
did the same thing for my sons 452 silouette.. bought a box of eveything i could get my hands on....
then i came across some rws's they shot the best !!!!! went threw 5 bricks and couldnt find anymore .. went to a match and a guy gave him a box of aguila std. volcity.. they shot just as good as the rws's !!! and at half the price...
i just ordered 2 bricks 15 min. ago !!!!! should last him awhile ????