PDA

View Full Version : Fatboy Jr.

3fingervic
01-24-2012, 01:24 PM
I know this isn't the best safe out there, but it checks a lot of my boxes for the $1,100 price tag. It says the safe weighs a little over 700 lbs.. My plan is to put it in the basement, and I am wondering what the door weighs by itself? Any ideas?

MINI-14MAN
01-24-2012, 07:43 PM
You would have to weigh it or call the manufacturer,they could give you a good idea.I recently was given a 1960 Diebold safe that weighs in at over 1000lbs. and had to tighten up my basement stairs to be safe.Its not a very wide safe and is heavy gauge sheetmetal inside and out so I'm assuming it is lead-lined.Not sure what I will put in it yet.

Revdrshad
01-24-2012, 09:47 PM
Older safes are probably lined with actual concrete. As opposed to the current drywall or plaster type fireproofings.

I DO NOT THINK THE FATBOY JR'S DOOR CAN BE REMOVED!!
Verify this before you purchase it if you definitely need it to come off.
Typically the door is about 1/3 of the weight. So, about 250 pounds. And if it does come off, remember you'll need a buddy to definitely help line it up putting it back on. Or, somehow even use a car jack.

Fast Glass
01-25-2012, 10:14 PM
I can't answer your question about the door weight, but if your looking to get it down in your basement, look into renting a stair walker dolly.
I rented one from Button's in Royal Oak to move my 700+ pound safe to my basement.

Button's Rent It
1126 S Washington Ave
Royal Oak MI 48067
(248) 542-5835

3fingervic
01-27-2012, 03:39 PM
My plan was to take the door of, if that's possible, with a floor jack. If it can't be removed, I will definitely use a stair type dolly. I was at Gander Mnt. two days ago, I forgot to ask that question. I grabbed the door and lifted it up a bit, but I'm not sue about its removability. For a safe that size, do I need to worry about my stairs?

Revdrshad
01-27-2012, 06:06 PM
You stairs should be fine. They should be at least 2x10's. If you have any doubts buy a couple 2x4's and wedge them under the steps. Think of 700 pounds as a few big sized people standing on the same couple steps.
Should be fine. But I'd take a look at them from the bottom and make sure nothing is rotted, split, etc...
If the safe can go down on it's side that's even better. That way the weight is distributed a little more.

Sindone
03-09-2012, 08:12 PM
The door can't be removed, you can pull out all the shelfs and remove some of the drywall from the safe without to much trouble. The drywall on the door can be removed by taking off the plastic caps then unscrew it. It sits in a lip on the bottom. I had to use a floor jack once at the bottom of the steps to lift the safe high enough to turn. After it was all done I had to put deck screws in the stairs to stop them from squeaking. I also had to take down one wall .....but I got it where I wanted it

kjs357
03-10-2012, 01:44 AM
Did you check out Able Safe in Warren? They sell Fatboys also. Might be cheaper.

They will deliver and place it for you for $.

michvstar
03-18-2012, 08:05 AM
I have a fatboy jr. as it fit all my needs as well, and I looked yesterday and it doesnt look like the door comes off. the hinges are welded to the door, and the the hinge portion is on the inside with a bar the runs full length. I had mine delivered by silver bullet, and I believe he told me it was around 800 pounds. for me it was a no brainer to let the pros move it.