PDA

View Full Version : Do you instructors use props in your HS Class?

joelansing
01-26-2012, 06:46 PM
I haven't taken a HSC in 40 years or so. But I still remember the instructor passing around exploded rifle barrels, and showing actual fines/sentences from taking illegal deer. He also had a gruesome photo of someone who had crossed a fence poorly and shot themselves with a shotgun. I don't remember much of the book learning, but the props he pulled out stayed with me. Every time I cross a fence I think of the photo. I always check my barrel and make sure I have the right ammo. I don't shoot anything that could be questioned by DNR. - Joe

fbuckner
01-27-2012, 03:01 PM
I have used props and even have a gun I wouldnt mind deliberatly destroying to use as a prop but have yet to figure out how to do it safely.

Mike in Michigan
01-28-2012, 09:43 AM
We have been using some old Mauser stocks with broom handle barrels. I recently acquired several fire-damaged rifles and shotguns that will be cleaned up, painted, and used in class. We instructors observed that the younger students tended to "fool around" with the wooden props a lot more than when we put real firearms in their hands.

Tyler
01-28-2012, 09:06 PM
I haven't taken a HSC in 40 years or so. But I still remember the instructor passing around exploded rifle barrels, and showing actual fines/sentences from taking illegal deer. He also had a gruesome photo of someone who had crossed a fence poorly and shot themselves with a shotgun. I don't remember much of the book learning, but the props he pulled out stayed with me. Every time I cross a fence I think of the photo. I always check my barrel and make sure I have the right ammo. I don't shoot anything that could be questioned by DNR. - Joe

I remember a 12 gauge barrel that was blown up, some pictures of gunshot wounds, a muzzle loader that somebody put smokeless powder in, and a demonstration of gunpowder burning. They also had us shoot a bolt action .22 at some targets, shoot clays with a 20 gauge, and shoot a bow. We also got to climb (not very high) a tree with a climber stand. The instructors also observed groups of students go through the woods with empty weapons and safely cross a fence. My HS class was actually pretty fun. The instructors even set up a mock blood trail for us to follow.

SeeTee
01-30-2012, 02:26 PM
I have used props and even have a gun I wouldnt mind deliberatly destroying to use as a prop but have yet to figure out how to do it safely.

My dad, when he used to teach HSC a long long time ago had a old single shot shotgun with a blown up end of the barrel to show what getting dirt in the muzzle would cause.
To make his prop gun back then, out in the woods he put dirt in the muzzle, used a long string, got behind cover and let it rip :yikes: :hide:
Again that was a very long time ago.

tote'ngranny
01-30-2012, 04:08 PM
We do .. HS (tape) videos, guns (different actions) different types of bows, posters, speakers from the Dundee Fire Dept EMT. We have a guy give demonstration on reloading, demonstration proper gun handling crossing a fence .. kids participate, compass course where each group has to use a compass to get from A to E. Anyways, we jam a lot into the three day class.

We don't do the typical overhead projector class ... boooooring.