PDA

View Full Version : Glock G19 Gen 4

karcent
01-29-2012, 01:31 PM
I have been wanting to try the new Gen 4 Glocks out for a while and last week I finally ordered one for myself. I went with the G 19 Gen 4.

The pistol comes with three 15 round magazine and all of the usual stuff you expect from Glock. I added a set of Trijicon HD night sights in yellow and a Vickers tactical slide lock as soon as the pistol arrived. I like the Vickers slide lock a lot better than the Glock version.

I headed up to BWSA today to shoot it for the first time, and oh boy did I learn some lessons!

It began snowing shortly before I left the shop and there was a light covering on everything when I got there. I grabbed my target stands and headed downrange not realizing that there was a sheet of ice under the snow. I went down hard! Both elbows hit the ground, two pretty good lacerations, lots of bruising and some pretty serious pain.

After I took inventory and convinced myself nothing was broken. I sat down for a minute to decide whether I should just head home. I decided I would use this mishap as an exercise to see if I could still shoot when in a lot of pain.

I ended up shooting 400 rounds without a single hiccup. The gun was flawless. I end up a lot of partial boxes of ammo and I used a lot of those today. Blazer, Remington, Geco, S&B, Speer, Winchester, reloads, hollow points and ball. It fed, fired and ejected it all. I also got to try out some of Federals new economy line called “RANGE and TARGET”. I didn’t find it to be any different than their American Eagle brand but it is cheaper.

Shooting the Gen 4 side by side with my Gen 3 G19, I found that the Gen 4 exhibited slightly less felt recoil. Another plus is the improved surface on the frame. It’s just the right amount of texture for me. The overall size of the grip has been reduced slightly and the pistol comes with two backstrap spacers that can be added, but my hand likes the grip as it came out of the box with no added parts. The magazine release has been redesigned and it is a lot more user friendly.

I know there were a lot of bad reports on the Gen 4 pistols when they hit the market, but it seems like they have things worked out now. This gun is a keeper!

Thick ice under that snow. That's were I went down.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/anotherlefty/g19003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/anotherlefty/g19004.jpg
Trijicon HD night sights. The front sight has the yellow insert, but it looks green in the photo. The rear sight is perfect for one handed clearing off of a belt, shoe or table edge.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/anotherlefty/g19005.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/anotherlefty/g19006.jpg

A shot of the Vickers slide lock
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/anotherlefty/g19008.jpg

A 15 round group at 10 yards
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/anotherlefty/g19001.jpg

I moved the sight a little to the right after that with the Glock sight tool
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/anotherlefty/g19007.jpg

These rounds were fired from concealment at speed. I use an NTAC IWB holster for daily carry
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/anotherlefty/g19002.jpg

If you shoot at BWSA, one of the big frustrations is arriving at the range only to find no suitable target stands or backerboards. I bring my own. These stands were purchased from The Target Barn. A couple of furring strips and some cardboard boxes and the problem is solved.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/anotherlefty/g19010.jpg

karcent
01-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Now I need some Motrin and a few ice packs!

JimSig
01-29-2012, 01:43 PM
Karcent sir, thank you for a very nice review. I am actually familiar with a all the technical contents that you presented, but what I liked the most about your review is the personal touch and the immense description of the situation - that is the snowy trip to an outdoor range. I have had similar experiences at the range where I was about to test a newly purchaed gun and the weather didn't help. I was torn off between trying my new gun or bailing out because of severe weather condition.

Also these sights look fantastic for a glock. Thanks for the nice read.
I have been sick since Friday night and I missed my steel plates shoot today. Reading your review took me to the range in a mental adventure. Thanks.

sjcootie
01-29-2012, 01:48 PM
really appreciate the time to write this up. I love my old G26 but starting to kick around the idea of a g19. I was convinced to find a gen III but now I will consider the gen IV.

Hope you can get out of bed in the morning

karcent
01-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Hope you can get out of bed in the morning

Me too!

RSF
01-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Nice good deal Kurt glad you got one that works,

Keep an eye on it though many guys had issues after shooting them crop up
glock needed to address these issues at shot there were a lot of PD Nagging about them about them......

the HD sight should be on almost everyone's gun they are fast and work great they were designed almost 3 years ago but got tabled for a while

they are the best of the sights out there along with the 10-8 sights

glad nothing is broken

Tom Fineis
01-29-2012, 02:58 PM
My guys at Glock (who had previously been telling me to hold off on the Gen 4's) now say they are good to go.

I've not shot one with the newest updates, but I'm thinking about picking up a Gen 4 34 mostly as a training gun this year and seeing how it does. My Gen 3 19 and 17 are too boringly reliable to replace just yet.

Glad to hear some of the guns that work are making their way out.

Mongo
01-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Glad to see this review. When Kurt's talking, I'm listening (and trying to keep my wallet closed).

I currently carry a G19 Gen2 (OMG! How can I trust my life to something so OLD?)most of the time. When the Gen3 came out, I didn't care for the finger grooves, so I didn't bother to upgrade. Today a Gen3 wouldn't scare me off because I am confident in my ability to reshape and stipple polymer frames, having done a few for myself and friends.

I have gotten the itch to add another G19 and have been holding off on the Gen4's. I like the grip fit better than the stock Gen3's, but would never give up the reliability for this. I knew Glock would get it right eventually with the Gen4. I don't mind waiting, since I almost NEVER buy the new hotness until it's been rung out

One thing that still bothers me is why do the sights still suck so bad? The tiny slide stop they use doesn't bother me as much since I realize what it's design intent was and can be a personal preference. But the sights still suck. Even if you happen to like the sight picture, they are still plastic, aren't they? I know they aren't going to drop 10/8's or those sweet Trijicon HD's in there, but almost anything would be better than what they do now.

"A" for the review
"C-" for the Snow Angel attempt

karcent
01-29-2012, 05:28 PM
I'll be shooting this gun a lot more looking for bugs in the near future and I will report as needed. 400 rounds is just a good start and this is only a sample group of 1 gun.

I think Glock went in the wrong direction when they dropped factory night sights. I'm not a fan of the Meprolights they were installing, but they should have made a good steel night sight standard equipment on all of their products.

The Trijicon HDs are standard equipment on all of my personal semi-autos.

I was carrying the S&W M&P, but went back to the Glock due to the M&P magazine floorplate design. It blows. I really like the M&P, but not the floorplates. I know there are replacements available, but it was just easier to go back to the Glock.

scecil
01-29-2012, 06:24 PM
"C-" for the Snow Angel attempt

that's just mean! Hahah.

Great write up on the G19.

Toledo Kid
01-29-2012, 07:17 PM
What number spring and what number ejector has yours got Kurt?

I haven't shot my Gen4 19 too much but it has ran pretty good.
I have the 043 spring and the 336 ejector.
Word is though, Glock is wanting to install new ejectors in all of these. They will send you a pre paid ticket to send it to them but I am hesitant because the gun does work.

I agree with the rest you made a point in. Grip and felt recoil is much different then the other Glocks I own. Much Much better IMHO.

karcent
01-30-2012, 09:26 AM
Ejector is marked 30274 and the recoil spring is marked 043.

turbolag23
01-30-2012, 09:56 AM
nice write up, i recently picked up a gen4 g19 and have been pleased with it so far. just need to decide on sights myself. the HD's look like a good option. before they came out i went with i-dot pro's on my gen3 g19c but looking for something different now.

Toledo Kid
01-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Ejector is marked 30274 and the recoil spring is marked 043.
Wonder if that is the new ejector??? Mine was made around Sept 2011

Toledo Kid
01-30-2012, 10:40 AM
I spoke too soon. That is the new ejector
http://glock.pro/glock-tech-warranty/3866-new-30274-ejector-4.html

From Glock Pro
http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad300/pistolcompetitor/2012%209mm%20Ejectors/IMG_3300.jpg

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad300/pistolcompetitor/2012%209mm%20Ejectors/IMG_3307.jpg

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad300/pistolcompetitor/2012%209mm%20Ejectors/IMG_3305.jpg

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad300/pistolcompetitor/2012%209mm%20Ejectors/IMG_3303.jpg

Maybe I better call them.

http://glock.pro/glock-tech-warranty/3866-new-30274-ejector.html

mikeb32
01-30-2012, 11:01 AM
Great review Kurt....Hope the elbows, knees, back and whatever else you didn't realize you hurt feels better today!!!

Toledo Kid
01-30-2012, 11:42 AM
WOW, waiting 25min to talk to someone I finally just got off the phone with Glock. After being shuffled around to 4 people. I finally got the head tech on the phone.

What a jerk. I told him about the problem everyone is having and wanted to get mine upgraded. He denied everything about the ejector and said I have the latest spring. Trying to be nice I kept pressing the issue on the ejector.
He said there is no such thing as a new ejector until I spoke serial numbers.
I said OK no problem, being the persist ***** that I am I asked him if he would like the buy my pistol back then and I'll go buy a S&W M&P(which I own a few already) and maybe a few hundred more GEN4's since Glock's new crap don't work as everyone is having problems with the Gen4's.

After mumbling some more, he then stated the customer is responsible for everything on the gun including the shipping to them no matter if it was new. Again standing my ground, he finally said just one time he will send a prepaid shipper to send the gun down to them to get it fixed. But not before asking me how I found out about the info I described to him in detail. So I told him.

Don't they read the forums??? Even their own forum??? WTF...

I think Glock is trying to play stupid on these new series pistols.

Going to ship it out in a couple days. He said the shipper will be here in 24/48 hours.

turbolag23
01-30-2012, 12:08 PM
Wow thats not good feedback. i would have hoped glock would be working with its customers on this blunder instead of trying to deny its existence.

Toledo Kid
01-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Blew me away too. I called them years ago I had a mag split and the response was nothing like what I received today!!!

Mongo
01-30-2012, 01:08 PM
Blew me away too. I called them years ago I had a mag split and the response was nothing like what I received today!!!

A few years ago I had an extractor tip break off the tip of my G21 while shooting in a league at Double Action in Madison Heights (NOT where I bought the gun). I called Glock the next morning and they gave me two good options, my choice. Glock would pay to ship it back to them or I could take it to Double Action and they would have the Glock certified armorer replace the parts and give the gun a complete inspection and cleaning.

I chose to take it to Double Action on my next league night visit. The extractor was replaced, along with some springs and the whole gun cleaned during the 2 hours I was there shooting. Good by Glock and Double Action, I was more than happy.

I haven't heard many stories like mine lately. The current customer service seems more like what Toldedo Kid went through. Glock might be getting a little "too big to fail", meaning a problem now involves too many guns to fix, so it's cheaper to string it along.

RSF
01-30-2012, 02:40 PM
typical of glock CS they used to tell pds al kind of stories
well documented about there issues bad ammo, holding the gun to tight not tight enough to much lube not enough lube dirty gun etc......

Kurt did that glock come with a back pack?

Tom Fineis
01-30-2012, 02:47 PM
WOW, waiting 25min to talk to someone I finally just got off the phone with Glock. After being shuffled around to 4 people. I finally got the head tech on the phone.

What a jerk. I told him about the problem everyone is having and wanted to get mine upgraded. He denied everything about the ejector and said I have the latest spring. Trying to be nice I kept pressing the issue on the ejector.
He said there is no such thing as a new ejector until I spoke serial numbers.
I said OK no problem, being the persist ***** that I am I asked him if he would like the buy my pistol back then and I'll go buy a S&W M&P(which I own a few already) and maybe a few hundred more GEN4's since Glock's new crap don't work as everyone is having problems with the Gen4's.

After mumbling some more, he then stated the customer is responsible for everything on the gun including the shipping to them no matter if it was new. Again standing my ground, he finally said just one time he will send a prepaid shipper to send the gun down to them to get it fixed. But not before asking me how I found out about the info I described to him in detail. So I told him.

Don't they read the forums??? Even their own forum??? WTF...

I think Glock is trying to play stupid on these new series pistols.

Going to ship it out in a couple days. He said the shipper will be here in 24/48 hours.

Post #11 you say your Gen 4 is working pretty good (yesterday).

Post #17 you are the phone with Glock threatening to buy a competing product because they won't "fix" your functioning gun? (Today)

Companies update parts all the time. They can't be expected to ship every new part to every customer who has ever purchased from them....especially when those customers report good results with the product they have.

I'm not taking Glock's side, their CS does not have the reputation of being the best in the industry. I deal with (often difficult) customers all day long, I can certainly see Glock's side of this story. I'm sure they are inundated with calls about rumors and all sorts of stupid stuff. That eats up manhours, which eats up overhead, which increases prices for all customers.

jmilch
01-30-2012, 02:52 PM
thanks for the write up! I also have a gen 4 G19, and have had zero issues. I also agree the 4th gen feels like slightly less recoil IMO.

TomE
01-30-2012, 03:29 PM
I had no problem getting Glock to mail out the new style ejector for a second hand Gen 3 G19, that works OK . The problem was finding a armorer that would call Glock,One found me and offered his service.:thup:

I didn't threaten the CSR either

Toledo Kid
01-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Post #11 you say your Gen 4 is working pretty good (yesterday).

Post #17 you are the phone with Glock threatening to buy a competing product because they won't "fix" your functioning gun? (Today)

Companies update parts all the time. They can't be expected to ship every new part to every customer who has ever purchased from them....especially when those customers report good results with the product they have.

I'm not taking Glock's side, their CS does not have the reputation of being the best in the industry. I deal with (often difficult) customers all day long, I can certainly see Glock's side of this story. I'm sure they are inundated with calls about rumors and all sorts of stupid stuff. That eats up manhours, which eats up overhead, which increases prices for all customers. First and foremost Glock is a Billion Dollar Company. And Without A Doubt, They Have A Problem!!!

Just a FYI: I've have had a few businesses over the past 30yrs. One, I am still running that my father (now retired) started in 1963. Even though my products are not the material type, I know a just little about customer base.
I was getting the run around. Went through 4 reps. The last guy on the phone was a hard ass no doubt but I didn't threaten. It was more of a maybe I should do this kind of a thing and pass the word across a few forums with many thousand members???(not like it hasn't been done yet. But he seem bewildered).
Sorry you misconstrued my passage. I do apologize to everyone that has. It is damn hard to impose or read emotion in print Tom. If you don't know that by now.
Again, we are talking about a Billion Dollar Company. With a CS department along the line of the local beer & wine joint.

As for the pistol which is the heart of the matter. Yes it ran ok. But then on the other hand, so have many others until when they started to fail. I don't have an immeasurable amount of time to spend doing a trial by fire on a handgun that should work. Especially with the rep that the G-Lock is "PERFECTION". Nor am I going to spend $500 in ammo taking a chance to consider it a proven piece by making a YOUTUBE video about it as many have. My days as a gun slinger, testing and tuning firearms/weapons platforms are past to say the least. Thats a job for you young swinging cowboy's. :lol: My job now is to read about it. :-P

So, the bottom line (if you are unaware of the circumstances with these models and haven't had your own dealings as of yet) all over the net for just about 95% of new GEN4 9mm owners M19 in point it seems the most are saying these are the fixes after they come back from Glock as I have shown above. In which the Rep denied blatantly more then once. Then proceeded to ask me how and where this info was readily available. :sleeping:

It's almost like:" Your Kidding Me Right "??? :facepalm:

Never the less. The gun is going back. Their CS Sucks. And the future will be told at a later date. But gratitude will be placed if earned.

Thanks for your concern ;)

Kurt thanks for the info :thumbup:

Tom Fineis
01-31-2012, 12:01 AM
Startup or billion dollar company, having an item "fixed" that is functional is not the way I would approach it.

Different strokes I guess.

And yes, I am quite familiar with Glock and what is going on there.

Toledo Kid
01-31-2012, 01:39 AM
Well if it were a firearm that has been shot many of times or a proven platform...perhaps.
In this case though, I think the definition of the term here is not "fixed". It is more in the matter of due process for the term "preventive measure".

Then again anything can be made controversial.

Hell look at the Chicken Egg.

Some say it is round, oval or elliptical. It can roll, wobble or even flop.
Some say it is smooth and sealed. But it is tacky, porous and you can see through it.
Some say it is fragile, brittle or delicate. Yet you can stack many books on it before it crushes.
Some say it is just weird, odd or unusual looking. Yet it is one of the most aerodynamic shapes known to man.

Then, Some say it came before the Chicken. How else could the chicken evolve with out it.

All in all Tom, it is in the matter on which one evaluates or looks at things. Has nothing to do with stroking.
Bottom line it's just an egg. Something to sustain life in. :shrugs:

My Glock is just a gun. That I want working like many others before it.
Only thing that makes it different is that it belongs to me.

MACHTECH
02-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Have they changed the finger groove locations on the Gen 4's? I know Gen 3's finger grooves (or high spots) hit me smack dab in the middle of my fingers.

Thanks,

Todd

Toledo Kid
02-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Have they changed the finger groove locations on the Gen 4's? I know Gen 3's finger grooves (or high spots) hit me smack dab in the middle of my fingers.

Thanks,

Todd
Grip angle, grip texture and trigger to back strap width has been shortened or narrowed. But comes with 2 extra back straps.
Go look at one and play with it. Will be worth your while.

Tom Fineis
02-02-2012, 03:27 PM
No, they have not changed the location of the finger grooves.

jackg
02-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Some customers just aren't worth the trouble.:laugh: Glock is a $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ company, retail is only one segment.

R0gerThatt
04-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Did you see the dark earth glocks?

Toledo Kid
04-05-2012, 11:38 AM
I forgot about this thread.
I should report that Glock picked up the tab on everything. Including shipping both ways. Even though the tech was very rude on the phone.
Result. I have only fired it 50 times but it is rocking now!!! They removed and replaced ever part in the pistol but the barrel.
I think my Gen4 19 is a keeper.
Prompt's to Glock for taking care of business!!!