PDA

View Full Version : What a .45 looks like in the hand

gryphon
02-03-2012, 02:19 AM
I've been debating for some time whether to post this or not. I see no one else ever has and we can never be too safe or read too many warnings. I guess.

+++++

Just a matter of when
No "it just went off" excuses… an experienced shooter's cautionary tale

http://www.thegunzone.com/nd.html

Cliff's notes: 15 year experienced guy shoots himself with Glock after forgetting a round was chambered.

rjrivero
02-03-2012, 02:43 AM
I've been debating for some time whether to post this or not. I see no one else ever has and we can never be too safe or read too many warnings. I guess.

+++++

Just a matter of when
No "it just went off" excuses… an experienced shooter's cautionary tale

http://www.thegunzone.com/nd.html

Cliff's notes: 15 year experienced guy shoots himself with Glock after forgetting a round was chambered.
My take home point: Don't clean your freaking glocks. :shiner:

DavetheEditor
02-03-2012, 06:46 AM
My take home point! They are always loaded!

rjrivero
02-03-2012, 06:53 AM
I think YOUR take home point is better than mine. ;)

Shyster
02-03-2012, 07:06 AM
MY take home point: Glocks suck.

ptwoody1
02-03-2012, 08:14 AM
I think so to...:D

DavetheEditor
02-03-2012, 01:31 PM

How can you say that? It performed flawlessly!

aresbykes
02-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Glock's fault, shooter was obviously not the problem here.

miked
02-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Failure to check the chamber and pointing the muzzle at something he didn't want to destroy. The more rules you skip the greater the chance for trouble.

Intl1911
02-13-2012, 09:33 PM
Funny thing is....I had a friend that just went through a CPL class and they never taught the 4 safety rules.

And I wonder why people keep making mistakes :bash:

donald150
02-13-2012, 09:47 PM
I cant seem to find it but this has been posted before and I think it was a while ago.:lipseal:

jmilch
02-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Could have been any other gun also. I always have the barrel pointed in another direction when I strip my glock... I wonder how he managed to pull the slide lock lever, and the trigger all while holding his hand in front of the muzzle..

RevDerb
02-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Glock's fault, shooter was obviously not the problem here.
If I read the date down on the bottom right correctly, it was 2005 so Bush was in the White House, right? Just sayin' ... What would BHO say?

nrich1979
02-17-2012, 02:56 PM
First time reading this..

Wow..

This was a great article to pick up..

Wish I was more careful in the past..

KLee
02-17-2012, 07:48 PM
What more needs to be said

malignity
02-17-2012, 08:57 PM
I could have almost did something similar today taking pictures of my Sig.

I had 2 full magazines and one empty. The empty one was in the gun, and I took it out to take a picture of the magwell. I put what I thought was the empty one back in and racked the gun to take a picture of it with the hammer back. It chambered a round without me realizing (i should have felt it but didn't take immediate notice). I did my double check of the chamber like every gun owner should, and a round went flying out and another one chambered. I'm glad I realized it wasn't an empty mag in there before I made the hammer go back down. Could have blown a hole in my floor, myself, or my dog who was distracting me when I put the wrong mag in.

zenom
02-18-2012, 08:30 AM
This is why I am completely paranoid about checking my firearms. Even last night my g/f was gonna dry fire her sig, and I said "Did you check it?" she said "It's been on my hip for the last hour, empty.", I replied "So?". It's a 2 second thing to save a lot of pain or death.

ChaneyD
02-18-2012, 09:49 AM
Could have been any other gun also. I always have the barrel pointed in another direction when I strip my glock... I wonder how he managed to pull the slide lock lever, and the trigger all while holding his hand in front of the muzzle..

Easy. He followed the slide down with his hand instead of slingshooting it. Big problem with a lot of people. For some reason they want to follow the slide instead of letting go of it.

XDM 40 cal
02-18-2012, 12:16 PM
This is why I am completely paranoid about checking my firearms. Even last night my g/f was gonna dry fire her sig, and I said "Did you check it?" she said "It's been on my hip for the last hour, empty.", I replied "So?". It's a 2 second thing to save a lot of pain or death.

+100...

Last night before i went to bed i did a check of my XD, Force of mental habit

I know it loaded, but i always check.

Rule #1 there all loaded,till it check'd and double check to see the chamber is empty..

Dabears!
02-19-2012, 12:55 AM
amen

a customer asked me why i cleared a gun he handed back to me.

"its already empty man why are you wasting time?"

"what is five seconds, man are you that rushed you cant take five seconds to be safe? id rather take the time and be extra safe than not and have to deal with it later"

"i never thought it was that important"

it was sad and this dude is a real big gun guy.
i hope he took something from it.

durus5995
02-19-2012, 04:39 AM
Yeah always check! Their was a guy at a local gun shop here who wanted to show me the mods he did on his sights on his Glock and he handed me his pistol right from his holster. I figured it was loaded and as soon as I got it I press checked it and sure enough round in the chamber (as it should be). He never said a word and good thing I wasnt one of the LCD type people that were also milling around flagging people with the muzzles of the guns they were looking around at.

michiganfan
03-17-2012, 06:36 AM
Had dinner with a friend. Long time reserve sheriff. Bonafide Gun Nut. Wives upstairs. We go into the basement so he can show me a riot gun he bought years before. Locked in the safe forever. He gets it out hands it to me. I rack the action . Out pops a shell. I do it four times and out pop four shells.

EVERY GUN IS LOADED.

shifty_85
03-17-2012, 11:28 AM
CPL teacher one of the first things he asked us "Do unloaded firearms hurt people? i siad "Yes" and he said "yup so many people "Think" they have an unloaded firearm"

also i know to take apart a glock you must push the trigger everytime i clean my guns i leave the mags upstairs and i always ALWAYS lock the slide back to check before cleaning. i rack it a few times lock it open look in there and even feel with my pinky to make sure its clear.

owning a 1911 would have stoped this prob :) dont have to push the trigger to take the gun apart. hand=saved had he had one of JMB's designs.... my 2 cents of course :)

D-Man
05-29-2013, 12:40 PM
can't resist stirring the pot:

If it had been a 9mm, he could have walked it off...!!!:rotate: :idea2: :shake: :gaga: :laughing: :rainfro: :!:

Honestly, I'm not a 9mm vs 45 guy, just thought it would fit nicely here!!!

and......begin.

Roundballer
05-29-2013, 01:41 PM
And another thread arises from the dead.

romesr
05-29-2013, 01:55 PM
Please check and double check 20 years of being a gun owner and it happen to me last year I shot myself couldn't believe but I did. It took me a few months to get over the fact that I shot myself but I did so check and double check because the life you save just might be your own.

Detroit Holster
06-04-2013, 10:15 AM
Thank you for posting that. I am sharing it with some younger shooters (and old farts as well).

Always a good reminder....

SimbaLion
06-23-2013, 12:02 PM

I don't feel comfortable with someone having a gun if they're going to argue with you about checking the chamber.

Sometimes it's okay to be lazy, but when you could be putting other people's lives in jeopardy, there's no excuse. I believe any responsible gun owner knows this and wouldn't need to be told.

kryl
07-01-2013, 04:50 AM
If I read the date down on the bottom right correctly, it was 2005 so Bush was in the White House, right? Just sayin' ... What would BHO say?

He would say his excuse for nearly everything, "It's Bush's fault."

Apfelsauce
07-09-2013, 04:01 AM
Too much real life.

sassy
07-09-2013, 08:32 AM
+1

Timbo
07-09-2013, 10:41 AM
Ouch! Great reminder and good of him to post his failure.

Ls1rhodes
07-22-2013, 01:13 PM
+1
+2.........:sleeping:

moreparts
07-27-2013, 09:22 AM
Obviously, that would have happened with any semi auto gun. Glocks are easier to do that with, however it only takes a moment. Truthfully now, how many of us DIDN,T have an unintentional firing that surprised you? This poor soul had this happen for us to learn from...........

Lee45
07-27-2013, 08:13 PM
ouch. could have been worse

Kefefs
08-12-2013, 09:48 PM
Well I guess that's what happens when you fail to verify a firearm is unloaded, point it at your hand, and then pull the trigger. At least he owned up to it, I respect him for that. Too many people stick with the "it just went off" BS explanation and never admit they made a mistake.

This is why I'm anal about gun safety. I don't care that the gun is unloaded - safety rules are redundant for a reason. Sometimes you forget a rule (like unloading the gun) and the others will save you from putting a hole somewhere it doesn't belong.

JBovinet
09-24-2013, 06:15 PM
I'm glad to see you are recovering, hopefully people well take this as a learning experience and check. Guns are safe as long as people are safe. Just like looking before you cross the street, if you don't check..... you might get tagged.

bolonytony24
09-24-2013, 06:57 PM
clear, check and check again. it does not matter that it was a glock. could happen with any semi auto. thanks for sharing. ive looked at this a while back and it is a good reminder for us all. good luck to you sir

shifty_85
09-27-2013, 12:45 AM
Obviously, that would have happened with any semi auto gun. Glocks are easier to do that with, however it only takes a moment. Truthfully now, how many of us DIDN,T have an unintentional firing that surprised you? This poor soul had this happen for us to learn from...........

How so? a 1911 you do not have to pull the trigger to take the gun apart....:scratch:

amontana086
09-27-2013, 02:05 AM
Dumb zombie thread. For all we know the idiot in the OPs story is accidentally dead by now.

Who does that anyway "apparently I did chamber a round." Sounds like a pothead to me. Rack rack rack it's that easy this isn't Glocks fault.

Caliper
01-06-2014, 07:00 PM
Good reminder!

I do like that many semi auto pistols have as the first step for takedown to lock the slide back. Layers of redundancy in safety are a good thing. Always am paranoid when taking down my Diamondback because the takedown is the same as a Glock

whipsnade
02-22-2014, 12:27 PM
Did you ever notice how hickock.45 handles his guns. He repeatedly, almost compulsively, is racking the slide to be certain they are cleared and he always points them down range unless he has racked it 4 or five times.

We should be teaching that style to some of the eggheads buying guns today. When even well experienced gun owners have a ND we all need to be more careful.

TacticalSolution
03-29-2014, 09:56 PM
A weekend with a good trainer can help.

Ender_1524
04-15-2014, 09:51 PM
Failure to check the chamber and pointing the muzzle at something he didn't want to destroy. The more rules you skip the greater the chance for trouble.

Exactly!