PDA

View Full Version : SR9C - Magazine Disconnect

zenom
02-03-2012, 01:34 PM
I am confused a little about this feature. So does it only work when there is a round in the chamber and the magazine is out? Right now I can dry fire with no round in the chamber and the magazine out.

I want to make sure, I don't have snap caps atm to test any other way and really don't feel like putting a whole in something, so figured I would ask. I have never dismantled this firearm yet and it came this way. So want to make sure I bought a firearm with all the safety features in place.

Thanks.

I will answer if no one else does and I get some snap caps or get to a range to test it.

Wolvee
02-03-2012, 01:38 PM
You can still pull the trigger but the round will not be struck. If you take off the back plate, the disconnect will drop right out when you pull the FP from the back.

Will-IB-Ready
02-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Exactly.
It's kind of deceiving, by letting you dry fire with the mag removed, but it won't fire with a round in the chamber.

Personally, I hate that feature, and luckily it's very easy to remove. There are How-To videos on youtube to help you take it out if you want.

zenom
02-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Ok, so this draws a couple more questions.

If I remove the disconnect:

1. Is the gun still under warranty with Ruger?
2. What happens if I remove the disconnect and I need to fire the weapon. Could the courts/lawyers say the gun was modified by a gunsmith or amateur and have a different outcome?

I can understand the "oh ****, hit the magazine release" in a heated situation and still having that round in the chamber. My life is > BG's life. Just trying to make sure I am not "shooting myself in the foot" so to speak, by altering the handgun as I received it from the manufacturer.

lwout65
02-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Keep dryfiring that gun with no mag in it you can expect light strikes and no more boom.

Seen it happen.

zenom
02-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Keep dryfiring that gun with no mag in it you can expect light strikes and no more boom.

Seen it happen.

Just with no mag, or a mag with no snap caps/ammo? I plan on getting some snap caps this weekend, but have dry fired probably 3 dozen times trying to get familiar with the trigger pull etc.

lwout65
02-03-2012, 01:57 PM
You can dry fire it all day long with the mag in it with no problems.

jmanz6
02-03-2012, 03:01 PM
I removed the mag disconnect from my gun. Ruger made it easy to remove, but it comes with the gun so it can be sold in areas that require them. This way they don't have to make 2 different versions of the gun. Any person can remove it, no real gunsmithing knowledge required to remove it. I put it back in when I shoot IDPA because it has to be in there to meet the rules. If you remove it and need to send the gun back to Ruger, just put it back in and be done. I don't think they will void the warranty with it removed, but will replace it if it's sent in. As far as whether it would be used against you, I would say ANYTHING the lawyer can find to make you look bad for defending yourself will be used against you. Will it result in a conviction, I doubt just that would really swing the case but IANAL so take my words for what they are.

Some guns come as 2 different versions, one with a mag disconnect and one without. Ruger makes only one version, but makes it super easy to take it out and have a gun without it.