PDA

View Full Version : What's needed to properly suppress a M&P 40c?

BigBlkYJ
02-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Long Time lurker, I don't really post on here much but I plan to change that!

Before anyone says it, yes I realize I need a suppressor, and threaded barrel. Ive heard of people having recoil problems, and failure to cycle problems because of the added weight. Is there a way to correctly do this without reliability problems?

Thanks Guys!

rjrivero
02-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Pistols that have a tilt barrel lock up will need a "booster" device often called a Nielson Device to operate properly. Not just the M&P, but virtually all pistols with the tilt barrel "Browning" design.

Some suppressors will require a purchase of a booster mount, and the newer ones have the booster built in to the design of the suppressor.

Google Liberty Mystic to see what a Nielson Device mount looks like (or Gemtech multimount).

Google AAC Ti-RANT to see what a built in booster looks like. (Or Silencerco Osprey.)

Hope this helps.

SlowDog
02-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Keep the bullet speed lower then 1000 fps.big slow 180grn bullets going 925-950 or so.

BigBlkYJ
02-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the info guys! I'm going to check those sites out!

DP425
02-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Threaded barrel and suppressor with some sort of neilson device built in. Take a look at the Scilencerco Osprey. It has the best chance of not requiring tall sights to be installed on your pistol.

rjrivero
02-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Threaded barrel and suppressor with some sort of neilson device built in. Take a look at the Scilencerco Osprey. It has the best chance of not requiring tall sights to be installed on your pistol.
Tall sights not "required." "Sighting through" the suppressor isn't hard to do at all, once you get the hang of it.

The Osprey is a good can, though.

DP425
02-06-2012, 03:08 AM
Tall sights not "required." "Sighting through" the suppressor isn't hard to do at all, once you get the hang of it.

The Osprey is a good can, though.

True- I suppose required wasn't really the best word usage; more like "needed if you want unobstructed sight use"

BigBlkYJ
02-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Thanks for all of the great info guys! I'm going to start doing some research!

rjrivero
02-15-2012, 11:12 PM
Thanks for all of the great info guys! I'm going to start doing some research!
Just be aware that there aren't very many .40 Caliber cans out there. Most will use a .45 suppressor on the .40. Works pretty well.