PDA

View Full Version : Project Appleseed - Watervliet, Michigan April 14-15, 2012

shotgunman
02-04-2012, 01:14 AM
Project Appleseed 2012 Tour is coming to Watervliet, Michigan
Watervliet Rod and Gun Club
3413 Hennesey Road, Watervliet, Michigan

2-Days of Marksmanship and History April 14-15, 2012
Events start at 08:30. Please arrive early to allow time for set up and sign in.

Learn More, Find Directions and Register at: the Project Appleseed website or the Watervliet Rod and Gun Club website.

Information: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=26771.0

Register: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/2663812535

Swamp Thing
03-21-2012, 08:36 AM
Only 8 tickets left as of 3-21-12.

Watervliet is becoming a hotbed for Appleseed!

Better sign up quick folks.

ddmoit
03-21-2012, 08:37 AM
I'm in.

ddmoit
03-22-2012, 06:25 AM
Aside from .22 rifles like a Ruger 10/22, what are some other appropriate rifles to bring to an Appleseed shoot? SKS? Mosin-Nagant?

Swamp Thing
03-22-2012, 06:49 AM
Aside from .22 rifles like a Ruger 10/22, what are some other appropriate rifles to bring to an Appleseed shoot? SKS? Mosin-Nagant?

Because several of our strings of fire are timed, the best rifles to bring are semi's with detachable box magazines that hold at least 10 rounds. Feeding a rifle stripper clips or dropping rounds into tubes can slow you down a bit. Watervliet will be running two lines, one rated for rimfire only but the main line can handle centerfire. I've seen just about every rifle imaginable out on our lines and we really don't discourage you from trying anything. But, to get the most out of the event, think about really quick reloading.

ST

Pitmaster
04-02-2012, 09:38 PM
I may be a walk on if it's not real cold. I have another obligation but its importance is is decreasing compared.to an Appleseed.

Garymac
04-05-2012, 01:45 PM
I may be a walk on if it's not real cold. I have another obligation but its importance is is decreasing compared.to an Appleseed.

Pitmaster, I will be at Watervliet as an instructor. If you need a loaner .22 I will have a couple with me.

ddmoit
04-05-2012, 02:03 PM
I've managed to round up 3 rifles for my group. I still need to outfit the Ruger with a sling.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s85/ddmoit/Forum/IMG_4881.jpg

Garymac
04-05-2012, 05:27 PM
I've managed to round up 3 rifles for my group. I still need to outfit the Ruger with a sling.
]

Looking forward to meeting you.

ddmoit
04-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Likewise, Gary.

Pitmaster
04-06-2012, 05:42 AM
Pitmaster, I will be at Watervliet as an instructor. If you need a loaner .22 I will have a couple with me.

Thanks for the offer, but I picked up a 10/22 at the Nappannee Gun Show last week.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c400/bdcbbq/Ruger102200311.jpg

Superheat
04-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Pitmaster,

You might want to slide that scope forward. Most of the people we instruct need to slide the scope toward the muzzle as far as it will go.

Just a tip.

Have fun at the Appleseed and bring everyone you know!

Superheat.

Pitmaster
04-07-2012, 05:04 AM
I'm hoping to get up to the range to check it it out. I have a couple of other scopes also. I'm not very knowledgable about scopes and shooting rifles. When I try to make adjustments I usually make things worse. BTDT on my reloading presses. I've finally got my 650 adjusted for the calibers I reload.

I don't know about everyone I know. But I have signed up and paid for 4 others to go to the Appleseed in Niles. I keep spreading the word and passing out flyers.

Pitmaster
04-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Weather looks to be perfect next Saturday..

High
65°F

Precip
10%

Wind: From SSW at 14 mph
Humidity: 62%
UV Index: 6 High
Sunrise: 7:05 AM ET
Avg. High: 61°F
Record High: 82°F (2003)

Sunday may be a little wet though

Showers
High
65°F

Precip
60%

Wind: From S at 13 mph
Humidity: 67%
UV Index: 4 Moderate
Sunrise: 7:04 AM ET
Avg. High: 61°F
Record High: 88°F (2002)

Pitmaster
04-11-2012, 05:12 PM
I spent some times sighting in the scope last night. I think I got it close enough but I will find out if continued tweaking needs done Saturday. All purchases except bug spray made. Awaiting one package delivery and then a quick cleaning of my rifle and pack up the gun cart Friday.

I wonder if I should bring my .44 mag Marlin 1894 that I only use black powder in.:)

ddmoit
04-11-2012, 05:27 PM
My crew is eager and ready. We'll be showing up with 3 .22 rifles - two which are new and never fired, the other never fired by me. Not ideal, I know.

Garymac
04-11-2012, 06:21 PM
My crew is eager and ready. We'll be showing up with 3 .22 rifles - two which are new and never fired, the other never fired by me. Not ideal, I know.

Took a look at the picture you posted. Looks like a mod 60 or similar with irons and a sling. A Marlin with Tech Sights and sling and a stock 10/22 with factory sights and no sling. We can make those all work.

One tip for the tube fed. Go to 7-Eleven or a fast food place and pick up a couple of those big straws like they use for slurpies or frozen cokes. We use them as speed loaders. It makes it easier.

ddmoit
04-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Yes, slings for all three of them.

Pitmaster
04-12-2012, 01:58 PM
I read in what to bring to an Appleseed the recommendation of boots vs. Tennis shoes. Can anyone explain why?

ddmoit
04-12-2012, 02:08 PM
I'll probably tote my SKS and Mosin along in case the opportunity presents itself.

Pitmaster
04-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Tick Tock, Tick Tock 36 hours and counting. Tick Tock...

Pitmaster
04-13-2012, 05:57 AM
24 hours and a 1 hour drive...

Pitmaster
04-13-2012, 06:19 PM
Loaded, 12 hours and a drive.

ddmoit
04-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Any idea on when we break for the day?

Pitmaster
04-14-2012, 04:50 AM
Leaving in 90 minutes or so.

ddmoit
04-14-2012, 07:52 PM
Great first day. Thanks for the assistance, Garymac. This has been an excellent opportunity to get the whole family involved with guns.

Pitmaster
04-14-2012, 08:02 PM
Great day! I learned so much my brain couldn't hold it all in. Back in 11 hours.:ak47:

Pitmaster
04-15-2012, 05:18 AM
Up and ready to go!

Pitmaster
04-16-2012, 07:40 AM
I had a great weekend. Anyone who is considering attending one should go ahead and do it. You won't regret it no matter how skilled you are.

I will be attending more of them. I hope to attend 6 over the next year with the last one being the National Appleseed day.

Pitmaster
04-17-2012, 07:58 AM
Appleseed After Action Report - Watervliet, MI

I was paired up with the shoot boss's son, a fine young man who is seven years old doing some drills Sunday morning. This was a first Appleseed for both of us. I learned a lot working with him, especially enthusiasm. We also had lunch together which was great. Great instruction, storytelling, and the explanations of why things are done a certain way. Way too many programs tell you what to do and leave out the why. I like why! I really enjoyed everything equally.

In addition to the excellent marksmanship training, which I expected, the story telling by the instructors was outstanding. The instructors did an excellent job telling the stories in a manner that captured attention, delivered a message, instilled humility regarding what our ancestors did and sacrificed for the freedom we know in the United States of American.

I will point out that the historical information told during an Appleseed and that comes from the book Paul Revere's Ride provides quite a perspective of the sacrifices made. I recently completed reading the book about a month ago. People today do not have any understanding of the internal qualities people had back then to survive, much less fight for their freedom against what could be described as overwhelming odds. Think about it this way. We have instant communication between individuals and groups. Back in that day absolute fastest way to deliver a message to an individual was riding a horse. If a written message was sent that was written with a quill pen and ink. I would almost bet that nobody who reads this post has ever done that in his or her life. I know I have not. Think about the time it would take to write a message.

Most of the people who responded to the Battle of Lexington were normal people with the normal obligations of the time. Firearms for them were not hobbies and interest. They were just a tool used to hunt and protect them. There was no "tacticool" crap being sold, just a musket/rifle, powder, and lead. I remember reading many biographies 45 years ago. Many of the heroes of those times learned to shoot by being given 1 bullet to go hunting. If they missed, they didn't eat. These kids today would be in middle school.

People do not really get the sacrifice our ancestors made.

I also clicked in my brain and remembered my uncle did a genealogical search of our paternal family history. I learned that I am a direct descendent of a passenger on the Mayflower who survived and lived through that experience. That click on my brain gave me some humility and pride that it is very possible I had a descendant who fought in the Battle of Lexington. I am going to try to follow up to find out if I did.

A couple of photos. I have a couple of videos but I need to use a wireless connection to upload them from my Droid.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c400/bdcbbq/AppleseedWV41512001.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c400/bdcbbq/AppleseedWV41512006.jpg

I'm toying with the idea of attending one a month until the Patriot's Day event next year. However, the next 2 months will be extremely difficult to work in with my schedule. July on is much easier. I have to decide if attending Saturday or Sunday only will meet my dedication.

I will be heading to my local range Sunday for my personal Volley For Liberty. The Volley For Liberty will be held at 4:00 pm EDT, 3:00 pm CDT, 2:00 pm MDT, and 1:00 pm PDT.

ddmoit
04-17-2012, 08:05 AM
Nice account, Pitmaster!

Garymac
04-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Great first day. Thanks for the assistance, Garymac. This has been an excellent opportunity to get the whole family involved with guns.

It certainly was my pleasure to meet you and your family and share the line with. I think we wore you guys out pretty good. ;)

You guys are now officially part of the Appleseed Family. Now go forth and multiply.