PDA

View Full Version : Taurus Poly Protector in .38 special +P

..DETROIT..
02-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Picked up a Tauraus Protector Poly in a .38 special +P. It's my first revolver. The barrel is 1-3/4". It holds 5 in the cylinder, and the frame is made entirely of polymer. The cylinder is blued and has started showing signs of wear after 30+ rounds. Apparently a side-effect of being a revolver. It does have a "fiber optic" front sight, which makes shooting in dim range light nicer.

There seems to be a downside to the lighweight polymer aspect. I noticed what appears to be a little "dent" near the cylinder release button (wouldn't see it unless I showed you). Not sure how it got there. Looks like a little pry mark. Manufacturer? Dealer? Not sure, but it does make me question the "durability" of being all "poly" and not metal.

Overall though, I like it. Looks good, shoots nice and is small enough for a pocket holster.

..DETROIT..
03-05-2012, 09:13 AM
The Taurus poly protector model 85 seemed like a nice piece. Unfortunately, 60+ rounds at the range says otherwise.

The first time I went to the range I discovered the sight was a mile off. I didn't bring my key, so I figured i'd shoot it a little just to get the feel. After a couple of cylinders worth, the action started jamming, so I went home since I didn't bring my everything bag. I originally thought the lock was engaging, but it ended up being one of the trigger screws backing itself out.

I went back to the range a week or so later, WITH my key to adjust the sight and after a few cylinders worth of shooting the cylinder would't seat properly in place. What the hell? I appears the cylinder/extractor/extractor pin assembly is running out a little. Not to mention the extractor "spur" (which is super soft) looks smooshed and mangled like I beat it up with a hammer. Jeesh, I know it's the first revolver i've ever owned, but it's not the first one i've ever used. This thing is literally falling apart in my hand.

I called Taurus this morning. They e-mailed me a Fed-ex label to ship it to them. Hopefully, this is some sort of fluke. I refuse to believe this is their quality standard.
I was carrying it as a CC,

TomE
03-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Just wait until the Fed-Ex Express guy starts to know you by your first name, then says sell it and buy a Smith.

After the fifth trip here by Fed-Ex Express, that was the advice given me by the driver.;-)

JohnJak
03-05-2012, 10:08 AM
A plastic revolver? Didn't know they made one. I need to get out more often.

..DETROIT..
03-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Just wait until the Fed-Ex Express guy starts to know you by your first name, then says sell it and buy a Smith.

After the fifth trip here by Fed-Ex Express, that was the advice given me by the driver.;-)

I've heard stories about Taurus' warranty deptartment being overrun with repairs.

I've checked for reviews and haven't seen anything that indicated this particular item is poop, but it's kinda a new design I guess. It's probably like a new car. Don't really know how they hold up at first. It takes time for all the "crap" to shake loose.

..DETROIT..
03-29-2012, 06:42 AM
I recieved my Taurus poly protector back from service. I'm somewhat disapointed at first glance. The gun came back dirtier than when I sent it. Instead of replacing the (deformed) ejector, it was filed down. Which also apperas to have increaced the gap between the cone and cylinder. It's now between .007 and .009 thousands, depending on which side of the barrel you check. The only thing that was replaced was the ejector pin. I would have liked a new ejector.
I haven't been to the range yet. I will try to make it out soon. I don't feel replacing that little pin will fix whatever underlying issue this gun might have. The pin wasn't bent when I bought it, but was bent after I shot it. Idk. we will soon see.
I still would not recommend this particular model, in any caliber. If you want something reliable and durable, there are many other better options for a revolver. So far I regret this purchase. Maybe some range time will fix that.

lwout65
03-29-2012, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the review ... both the wife and i have been looking into light weight pocket revolvers i realy dident think it would be so hard to make up my mind. I just dont want to buy something i wount be happy with again so taurus anything is off the list even more so because of the customer service issues.

Dabears!
04-06-2012, 05:29 PM
plain and simple.
do not buy taurus.
end of story.

firefox
04-09-2012, 03:32 AM
smith bodyguard 38 is also polymer, has (kinda crappy) laser and shoots great.

TomE
04-09-2012, 06:33 AM
smith bodyguard 38 is also polymer, has (kinda crappy) laser and shoots great.

So is the Ruger LCR and the Charter U/C Lite

nrich1979
04-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Good to know.. I saw one of these chambered in 357 before I bought my sp101..

Wheel guns and 1911s shouldn't be in plastic.. it's just sacrilege

RossGellar
04-09-2012, 09:19 PM
My LCR .38 has had a steady diet of +P ammo and hasn't shown a sign of any weakness or premature wear. I love my LCR!